News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top Speed

Started by New-Tiger, September 14, 2004, 02:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newmanr19

Quote from: "WildeKurt"My GPS reads just a two or three MPH less than indicated on the speedo.  Very good compared to the 7% error on my beemer.

Kurt

I would agree; since I have been owning GPS's and using them on my bikes (or four wheel vehicles for that matter too), the Tiger has by far had the most acurate speedo. Most are in the range of 5-10% off - my old KLR was about the worst if I recall.

echoyankee

I've enjoyed this thread.  

With my budget just about recouped from June, when my 2001 Tiger purchase blasted a large smoking hole in my savings, I'm embarassed to say that I actually don't have the financial wherewithall to cook along more than 5 or 7 mph over the limits.  I always back down.  Sorry, not good advertising for the Tiger community to have packs of sportbikes rocket by you I guess.  

I do have a little story that you may all find interesting.  

Lets say, you're out in the middle of nowhere with your riding buddy and you find a big stretch of open road that's straight with no entrances or exits or intersections for a while.  Traffic, miraculously, is nonexistant.  You decide, "Let's just see how high we can get this sucker."  

Consider the following news >>article<<.

Best,

echoyankee

newmanr19

and here's the ticket for said deed... looks like he's facing a $330 fine (at least)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

Patrick the Scot

I've hit 120mph. Bike was real stable and solid.  Of course I was hunkered down fehind the screen with boots on the rear pegs.  90mph is really comfortable speed for me.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

McB

Hi @ all, if you don't like speed you shouldn't read this post till the end.  :?

I saw a saved speed on a gps V of 144mph on a Tiger955 with racetune K&N airfilter and an open exhaust :shock: . But with best conditions U can reach 146 - if allowed. Saw it two years before without my gps. The engine was @ 10500 rpm in 6th gear. The pointer of my speedo stands in the digits of the tripmaster.

But Tigers need a hard workout some days per month to go faster in 6th gear than in 5th. But thats only possible to do in Germany or on closed racetracks.

My topspeed is now about 141mph also with racetune K&N airfilter and an open exhaust (and with a crosshelmet and goretex-wear  :twisted: ).

But you dont really need it...

Greetings McB

New-Tiger

WOW! Feet up on the back pegs. Tried it today and boy, what a rush.  As for going 140 plus...... !!!

Approaching the 4-6000 service and seriously considering fitting a race can. It's just tough to justify changing a perfectly good exhaust though. My motto is if ain't broke don't fix it. Unless it gives you a few more hp....

Ash

05 silver Tiger

GPS(coming soon)

Race Can (see above)[/quote]

CormacG

I tried for a race can recently but my dealer said (about an hour before I was due to drop the bike off) that Triumph don't do them anymore. Let us know how you get on.
Drivers wearing hats are to be avoided.

zombie

I've got a race can and dymags on my tiger and have pegged it out at 130 mph plus give or take, also my foot pegs are completely ground down from doing too many track days so now I actually shift my weight way off the big beasty and have managed to get my knee down which was really weird the first time i did it but then ya kinda get used to it.

That was with sportec m1's on the bike.

What I absolutely love about my tiger is creeping up on sportbikes in the real tight twisties and blowing their doors off, grin factor of plus 10.

I also wear full leathers black of course to match my really cheap matt black paint job with obligatory skulls.

This bike gets more looks now than it did when it was a green meanie

zombie

Also I'm surrounded  by fat dudes on harleys around where i live so I put this sticker  on the inside of my rear fender to let them know what i think of them and their slow ass bikes :lol:

New-Tiger

In reply to fiiting the Triumph race can. My dealer said it should be no problem. I've paid a deposit and am having it fitted in 10 days time. I'll let you know if they tell me its a problem.

CormacG

Are you UK or Stateside? and will it be a Triumph can? because if you're in the UK and your dealer can do it then I'll be asking my dealer some tough questions...
Drivers wearing hats are to be avoided.

ridemoretalkless

Zombie that has to be the greatest sticker I have ever seen. I don't mind Harley guys all that much but they always have this elitism about them........

New-Tiger

I'm UK. It's Laguna Motorcycles in Maidstone.

zombie

Quote from: "ridemoretalkless"Zombie that has to be the greatest sticker I have ever seen. I don't mind Harley guys all that much but they always have this elitism about them........

I know what you mean. I was at Daytona this year and i stuck one of the stickers on the front door of the H.D. dealership and watched the reaction and it took about 10 minutes befroe they figured it out and then they were pissed and talking about the dire consequences if they ever caught the asshole that had the balls to do such a thing, which just confirmed what I thought that they don't have a sense of humor.  :lol:  :D/

New-Tiger

Got the Triumph race can fitted today. Oh boy, the noise! I got mine at Laguna Motorcycles in Maidstone. It feels a bit quicker, but sounds much quicker!!