News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955 V's 1050

Started by qbto, August 18, 2010, 10:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbto

Anyone traded from a 955 to a 1050 ?
How far apart are they in performance ?

The Midnight Rambler

OK
I admit I haven't traded up but every time I take my bike in for service my dealer pushes me toward the new model (surprise surprise).
I have to admit the 1050 is sharper with more go and stop and more sporty handling but when I get back on my late 955i I feel more relaxed and comfortable.
Now you are all saying thats just because I am on familiar territory which is true but it is also because the Girly is a slightly different tool.
A couple of friends and I are off to the Pyrenees ( yeeh ha!) in a couple of weeks and for my money my bike is the one I want to be on.
So in the end in depends on what you want the bike to do.
As a red herring I got the bike serviced in advance of the trip and they gave me a Street triple. Jesus! I forgot how much of a hooligan I can still be.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

jonathan jaecks

Have an 06' 955, have ridden a couple friends 1050's.  The 955 and the 1050 share the tiger name...that's about it.  The 955 ride can be tuned a fair bit to be either more dirt or street specific but remains a soft multipurpose ride.  The 1050 is all street and very tight...similar ergos as the 955 but rides like a sport bike.  (and the luggage sucks...neither side cases nor the top case will fit a standard full face helmet)

jphish

I like the 1050 motor & improved FI, but prefer the 955 frame, body & ergos on my 06'. I don't NEED any more HP. I already got enough trouble with the Uly 'hooligan' bike. The Tiger is slowly creeping towards the door end of garage more often then the Uly. I think I hear them occassionally arguing down there, or actually...maybe NOT arguing ?!  Yikes! - i may be having a litter of "Tuly's"

qbto

Quote from: "The Midnight Rambler"As a red herring I got the bike serviced in advance of the trip and they gave me a Street triple. Jesus! I forgot how much of a hooligan I can still be.

A mate of mine has a Street Triple he's still learning to cope with how fast it turns.

Mustang

Quote from: "jphish"I like the 1050 motor & improved FI, but prefer the 955 frame, body & ergos on my 06'. I don't NEED any more HP. I already got enough trouble with the Uly 'hooligan' bike. The Tiger is slowly creeping towards the door end of garage more often then the Uly. I think I hear them occassionally arguing down there, or actually...maybe NOT arguing ?!  Yikes! - i may be having a litter of "Tuly's"
:ImaPoser

jphish

Thats IT!! I'm hearing a lot of growling & commotion... & then gets real quiet. Hmmm - they seem to be arguing more too...perhaps they got married?

fantastic mister fox

I had a 1050 as a loan bike while my 955 was being serviced.

I'm afraid I still love the 955i, can't put my finger on why just a lack of x factor
Trimph Tiger 955i
Harley Davidson MT350

qbto

Quote from: "fantastic mister fox"I had a 1050 as a loan bike while my 955 was being serviced.

I'm afraid I still love the 955i, can't put my finger on why just a lack of x factor

Don't worry it's back on this Saturday  :P

Chris Canning

Having ridden a 1050,i think the motor is way better than the 955,as much down to the fact the Sagem lot never got a proper handle on the fuelling even after what 8 years!!,the Jap injection is bang on first attempt.

I've run my 955 for 7/8 years on 17" wheels bur prefer the ergos of the 955.

Advwannabe

I like the 1050, my wife hates the massive step in the seat. To be honest the 1050 goes most of the places I take my 955, even on street tires. It's that last rutted fire trail I can take Tigger up that would be very difficult on the 1050 that keeps me hanging on to mine.

That and the fact that I have another triple in the shed with 150 horses for when the inner hoon calls  8)
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "The Midnight Rambler"they gave me a Street triple. Jesus! I forgot how much of a hooligan I can still be.

It's as if Triumph said to themselves "let's see if we can come up with the bikers equivelant of Botox" , I have never felt such an idiot and while still having so much fun, if my wife finds out she'll leave me for an older man  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Dutch

This is my first post here so hope it is not a big no-no to kick an old thread. I'm having my current bike for sale and am looking around for a Tiger 955i. Then suddenly I got a really good parts exchange offer on a 1050. Since then looking around for info on the 955 vs 1050, this is exactly the topic dealing with that question  :notworthy  Found usefull info, in the (hopefully near) future you might se me back here, either in the Girly section or the Roadie part  :wave

Bixxer Bob

Welcome anyway Dutch,  please fill in at least you rough location. It helps as this is truely a global forum. Cheers :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Done. I'll give a hint: the nick Dutchie was given to me over 20 years ago when I was travelling around a bit. It's not very original but since this was done by a farmer on a cattle station somewhere in the Australian outback it's forgiven.