News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955 V's 1050

Started by qbto, August 18, 2010, 10:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Having lived on the Dutch border for 3 years, I kinda guessed.  I don't remeber much other than drinking a lot of beer and wearing orange  :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerT

I have ridden the 1050, 800 and owned a steamer and now an 02 955i. Which one will become a classic??
The 1050 is a great road bike/tourer, best all round engine but I think it looks dull. I love the steamer, best looking of the lot, just couldn't live with the relaibalilty, lots of electric, staring issues. 800 especially XC is a fantastic bike, I just don't like the instrument/dash layout, all looks unfinished and too like a GS. My money's on the 955i, classic engine, loads of character, pretty good both on and off road. I hate the plastic tank but love the analogue dials and layout. And it drinks oil like a bastard!!
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Bixxer Bob

Funny you comment on the oil consumption; a few of them do that but it's not all that common.  Evil Betty is the expert if I recall rightly.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Sad but I own and ride all three of those, rode a Girly but never owned, personally the looks didn't speak to me.

The Steamer gets it for looks and character, oil and reliability has not been an issue, maybe just lucky.
The Roadie is very competent, much more than it looks or on paper, for me anyway the comfort is excellent after sorting the screen and bars, chrome  :doubt dip beam is shocking and the looks in stock trim are a little too close to a Fazer.
The XC is so good at just about everything I have asked of it, some might say its on the bland side for a Triumph, it certainly has zero quirks. The more I ride it, the more I think, do I really need an Explorer, want is another matter

The Multi is pretty mad by all accounts, a Street Triple in hooker heels but I've heard that it's tyring on longer journeys.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 02, 2013, 02:56:52 AM
.... rode a Girly but never owned, personally the looks didn't speak to me. ....
:iagree

The jelly mould looks let down an otherwise excellent all-round bike.

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 02, 2013, 10:01:16 AM
Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 02, 2013, 02:56:52 AM
.... rode a Girly but never owned, personally the looks didn't speak to me. ....

Nothing wrong with jelly molds. Morris Minor looks great and always will. I like the look of the 955i. It's distinctive and unique. If only they'd designed it with a decent screen.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sin_Tiger

Don't tell us, you owned a Move Sierra  :hat10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 05, 2013, 02:22:58 AM
Don't tell us, you owned a Move Sierra  :hat10

Who me? No, I'll never own a Ford. Utter shit like Ratners Gold.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Dutch

I guess I just have to try to test ride both the 955 and the 1050 then when weather and mainly road conditions cooperate.

Chris Canning

There are 3 outstanding differences between the two,the first is engine the 1050 is a league better for the simple reason it's had more R+D and Triumph switched from French Fuel injection to Japanese.

The 1050 has 17" wheels with all the advantages of a better selection of rubber that brings,I see on the latest test of the watercooled GS scribes mention how they were suprised that BM carried on with the 19" front 17" which gave the same old vague feel and thats why I ditched mine on my 955.

The 3rd which is never mentioned and thats fuel tank size the 1050 is 19L as opposed to the 955 which 24/5L and that does make a difference when looking for fuel.

Sin_Tiger

Fourth is that the 1050 doesn't have an expanding petrol tank  :hat10 I find 200+ miles on the roadie tank not a problem, motorway speeds with side boxes.

Dutch

Winter -like Pope or Dutch Queen- is thinking about a retreat, so I was thinking about trying to arrange a decent test ride on a 955 and on a 1050. But last week an '05 955i happend to pop up that I couldn't resist. Considering my location and nick, obviously it had to be an ORANGE one  :wings

I still have to make some pictures, I'll show them in the Girly picture thread later.

Cheers, Dutch

Bixxer Bob

Best colour anyway Dutch.  Well done! :hat10

Kiwitex

[/quote]
umm is it wrong to think the jelly mold look is kinda sexy????
Or is that a bit like being turned on by the big blue chick in Avatar?
He's just sleeping.....