News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Couple of nights away....18-20 July '10

Started by NeilD, August 20, 2010, 06:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

at a bit of a loose end on my days off this week as t'other half was off up to Scotland with her friends on Y*m*h*s, weather looked reasonable so I booked a couple of nights in my favorite B&B, just west of Penrith..

Rode up with her up A1, I hung a left onto the A66... roads finally go tinteresting when I turned off onto the B6277 through Castle Barnard, Middleton in Teesdale and on to Alston - great bit of road and as it was a Weds afternoon nothing much on it ... even the sheep cooperated and stayed on the verge! Then onto the A686 and my tea-stop.. Hartside Top Cafe which is apprently the highest cafe in England/ bit of a meeting point for bikers (and cyclists) I managed to get in for a cuppa tea and slice of cake before it closed..
it had rained before I got there!

P1010116 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

I thourght I was going to need waterproofs..

P1010113 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr
but it brightened up before I left!

P1010117 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

P1010119 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr
and ended up at my bed for the next couple nights in glorious sunshine..

P1010164 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

NeilD

so after a trip to the pub and a good nights sleep, time to head out for a bit of a ride around (ended up doing over 200 miles!)

as usual I searched out some of the more interesting roads - this is on the way up Whinlatter Pass

P1010125 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

onwards out as far as Egremont and back around the coast road, a good look around Conniston (some interesting Donald Campbell Bluebird exhibits in the Ruskin Museum), and finally spotted this ice cream kiosk at Ambleside pier - it matched the bike so rude not to stop really!

P1010130 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr
nice place to stop for a while....

P1010131 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

from there ended up goign through Kendal, on the A684 towards Sedgberg

P1010134 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

through Hawes/Hardraw and up on to the Buttertubs Pass - years since I'd been up there and it really brough a smile to my face..  8)

P1010140 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

P1010145 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

my next destination was the Tan Hill Inn - the highest pub in the UK (bit of a theme going here!) great moorland roads to get to it (although I was concerned by a very steep section at the start!)

P1010150 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

the orange device in the background is probably the sensible winter option!

P1010157 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

P1010159 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

eventually back to the B&B for another trip to the pub and then a good long sleep! the weather forecast for the ride home was lookign a bit grim, so decided on the direct route back - fortunately wasnt as bad as predicted, so got home in just over 3 1/2 hours (200+ miles) and even had time to wash the bike before the cloud that had been chasign me all the way home finally caught up!
  :D

BONANZA

Looks like a nice ride on some of my favourite roads. I was over Buttertubs a few weeks ago when the road was awash after a sudden downpour. It was interesting to say the least!! :shock:  I must admit that I always find your r/r,s to be so very well photographed.
Will
05 Tiger
95 Speed Triple

NeilD

glad you liked the pics - I know other peoples holiday pictures arent always interesting to others!!  :D

I was going 'up' the Buttertubs from South to North which I think is best as you can enjoy the views in front of you with something solid beside you, rather than  comming the other way you're concentrating on the drop over the edge   :D

MtheTiger

Quotethrough Hawes/Hardraw and up on to the Buttertubs Pass - years since I'd been up there and it really brough a smile to my face..   8)

+1
Me like that one!
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue