News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sell 2002 GS and buy new 04 Tiger

Started by Dirtdog, September 16, 2004, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtdog

I have a 2002 GS loaded to the gills, Ohlins suspension, remus exhaust,

throttle mister, 33 x 11 drive train, speedometer calibrtated, 26,000 miles in excellent condition. It's just now leaving it's 3 year warranty I was thinking about selling an buying a new black 2004 Tiger. I would break even on the sell no money out of pocket and I would be on a Tiger. I just do not ride off road but I do like to travel some on camping trips. On these trips the GS has such a level platform when I camp I often either strap my road bike or my mountain bike on the soft platform that I have made with my thermarest and tent. Other trips on the rear top of the line rack I have been known to strap the golf clubs on there.

Can the Tiger haul this type stuff. Hopefully the Tiger will have a little more get up and go. And continue to put and even bigger grin on my face.

Plan B is for me to buy and extended warranty on the GS and stick with the BMW.

Would you make the switch?

I can get the new 04 out the door for 9200.00 about the same value

as a quick sell on the GS.

SIBBO

I reckon that if you want to lug half the contents of your garage round the countryside at a nice sedate,relaxed pace stick with the GS.

If on the other hand you want a useable day to day fun machine  :twisted:  :twisted:   :twisted:  that you will never tire of riding and looking at  and admiring, then go for the tiger......with a few sensible mods i am sure that it will carry all you need to make your camping experience comfortable hey and what a way to arrive..........................but then again i am biased 02 roulette green :D

Chris Canning

I'd stick with the beemer,looking at how you travel and what you use it for,and financially the BM is always going to be the better deal,swop your GS for a Tiger and it'll loose half it's value in a jiffy,there's just one problem!! the Tiger is loads more fun to ride with a much stronger motor,my Tiger is a good match for my 1100s  never mind a GS.

Chris

robbo

If you strapped all that stuff to your bike in the UK you would get arrested. Trade the GS in for a Honda Goldwing or a car :shock:
best Regards

Robbo

Dirtdog

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I'd stick with the beemer,looking at how you travel and what you use it for,and financially the BM is always going to be the better deal,swop your GS for a Tiger and it'll loose half it's value in a jiffy,there's just one problem!! the Tiger is loads more fun to ride with a much stronger motor,my Tiger is a good match for my 1100s  never mind a GS.

Chris

Thanks for the replies. At 53 I am into having fun. About 18 months ago I sold an Aprilia Futura, even though it was and is a Sports Tourer I miss the intoxicating power. It may be possible on the Triumph to scartch both itches by giving me more power and lot more sporty feel and still haul

camping gear and toys around with me. I'd miss the telelever front in on the GS, the Ohlins,the Corbin, the Remus and some of the other goodies I got on the GS. I'll have to think long and hard before I make the move. I may be better served by buying the extended warranty and keep on trucking with what I got.......

Tks again to both replies.

dezrat57

Hello Dirtdog!

if what your looking for is FUN & EXCITMENT buy the TIGER; but if the rocking chair will due keep the beemer.

Give it Gas!!!!

best of luck!

dave

Quote from: "Dirtdog"I was thinking about selling an buying a new black 2004 Tiger. .

One fly in the ointment of this plan is that the 2004 Tiger is not available in black.

Dirtdog

Quote from: "dezrat57"Hello Dirtdog!

if what your looking for is FUN & EXCITMENT buy the TIGER; but if the rocking chair will due keep the beemer.

Give it Gas!!!!

best of luck!

dave

The bike is a black Tiger that they have had for a good while so it must be an '03. I have read of '04 Tigers going out the door for 9,200.00 dollars.

What changed from '03 to '04?

What do you think a fair price would be?

Brock

The Tiger I bought new a couple of months ago is an '04 one, in black. You may still find one hiding somewhere. They're the same as an '03,'02 and '01. (Spoked wheels, black frame). Mine was bought cheap by the dealer from Triumph who were obviously keen to clear the decks for the new "updated" model (the so-called "'05" model with alloys, silver frame and new colours not including black).

The dealer did an incredible deal for me. The bike cost £5,700. NEW.

As my previous bike was an '01 Tiger, the panniers came off and went straight on the new one. Job done.

All Triumph did was bring forward the release of the '05 to '04. To call it an '05 is confusing 'cos it's actually an '04. But an "updated" version.

You could actually say there's 2 '04 Tigers...the spoked version and the one with the alloys. I'm going now...
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Dirtdog

Quote from: "Brock"The Tiger I bought new a couple of months ago is an '04 one, in black. You may still find one hiding somewhere. They're the same as an '03,'02 and '01. (Spoked wheels, black frame). Mine was bought cheap by the dealer from Triumph who were obviously keen to clear the decks for the new "updated" model (the so-called "'05" model with alloys, silver frame and new colours not including black).

The dealer did an incredible deal for me. The bike cost £5,700. NEW.

As my previous bike was an '01 Tiger, the panniers came off and went straight on the new one. Job done.

All Triumph did was bring forward the release of the '05 to '04. To call it an '05 is confusing 'cos it's actually an '04. But an "updated" version.

You could actually say there's 2 '04 Tigers...the spoked version and the one with the alloys. I'm going now...

Thank you. This bike is also new it comes with panniers for 9200.00

out the door (that price includes all prep and taxes) I wish I could demo

ride it but the salesman said that's not possible. I am not sure if it would

be quit the pack mule the GS is actually I am sure it wouldn't but what

I would loose in versatilty I would gain in speed power and the get up

go up the 955 engine. That in itelf may be worth it.

Thanks again,

Dirtdog

WildeKurt

I got my '04 a couple of months ago for $9,500, plus a bunch of accessories at just over cost.  So $9,200 seems like a great deal.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the pre '05's.

My take on demo's:  No demo ride no sale!  My dealer let me demo a brand new, never ridden unit with out blinking an eye.  

Kurt

Brock

Dirtdog...I've said enough already in the GS v Tiger debate and everyone must be sick and tired of me ranting. BUT...there is no doubt whatsoever, in terms of fun/performance/value for money you would not regret going for the Tiger. Like a couple of the others though, I'm concerned about all that kit you carry. I'm just not so sure the Tiger will be as much fun with golf clubs, a push bike, AND a tent strapped on it.

Me? I'd buy the Tiger, and find a nubile and willing girlfriend with a 4x4 and trailer. You could meet up at the golf course/campsite, and she could carry all the kit while you're having all the fun. 'Course...being nubile and willing there'd be even more fun to be had when the riding and golfing are over.

Just go for it mate...black is THE colour for an '04 spoker.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Dirtdog

Quote from: "Brock"Dirtdog...I've said enough already in the GS v Tiger debate and everyone must be sick and tired of me ranting. BUT...there is no doubt whatsoever, in terms of fun/performance/value for money you would not regret going for the Tiger. Like a couple of the others though, I'm concerned about all that kit you carry. I'm just not so sure the Tiger will be as much fun with golf clubs, a push bike, AND a tent strapped on it.

Me? I'd buy the Tiger, and find a nubile and willing girlfriend with a 4x4 and trailer. You could meet up at the golf course/campsite, and she could carry all the kit while you're having all the fun. 'Course...being nubile and willing there'd be even more fun to be had when the riding and golfing are over.

Just go for it mate...black is THE colour for an '04 spoker.

Thanks I may have mislead you on the stuff I carry. Normally I strap on the golf clubs on a "top of the line rack" across the back of the bike it's where a rear trunk mount would be mounted. The rack is  23 inches in width so strapping the clubs there is safe and not a problem. When I do this it's for short trips to play or to the driving range. Only a couple of times last year did I carry the camping gear with the bike strapped on and attached.  It's safe and secure but if I ever drop the motorcycle it could get ugly like when I am refuling or in the campground. I have just pruchased a new bicycle so I am a little hesitant about loading her up

and taking her on a trip strapped to the GS.

SIBBO

Its gotta be a tiger tiger tiger then  :D  :D  :D