News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Girly run rough at high RPM

Started by fbarbas, August 25, 2010, 07:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbarbas

I just bought a 2001 Girly (955i) last month with 57 k on it.

It has the opposite problem of everybody else with rough running. Under light load the higher the RPM the rougher it runs. It never hesitates on acceleration, just feels lumpy when running for extended periods at light load, ie highway cruising. javascript:emoticon(':?')

The dealer told me this is normal, and I should just drive the snot out of it.

Anybody have any clues what it could be? If I do a computer reset it seems to disappear for a while and runs great. Also if I drive the snot out of it, ie city driving it runs great, also after wards for a while under light load.

I have tried different fuels, fuel injector cleaner, fuel level in tank and temperature both outside and engine have no effect. Changed the spark plugs and fuel filter, cleaned and oiled the KN air filter. The only mod is a factory off-road can.

Thanks, for any info anybody maybe able to shed. :?  :? :?  :?  :?  :?
Triumph Tiger 955i 2001 8-)
Honda Shadow 750 1983 SOLD 8-(

Timbox2

Whats the computer reset? The 12 minute tune?

What condition are the plugs in?

Youve got an offroad can, have you got the offroad map?

Might be worth getting a stealer to reload the map if youve got one near.

Could be lambda sensor, its light constant throttle loads where they do most of their stuff, you could try disconnecting it to see what effect if any it has, but you will get the mil light come on with it disconnected unless you get one of the bypass plugs, 3 cold / hot cycles will turn it off again once its connected back up, or dealer tool/ tune boy.

Could be loads of things really, sorry, yeah ride the crap out of it :twisted:
2016 Tiger Sport

fbarbas

I don't know what map is installed, dealer is 300 km away  :(

Just installed new plugs, made no difference.

I wll try that lamda plug, see if it has any effect.

Thanks

Chris Canning

Without knowing what map you have in it,you'll struggle,over the years i've had some horrors(maps),so much so the one i have in now has been what? maybe 5 years,and if you have an offroad can will hilight it even more.

With 57K on the motor could even be the top end geting a little frazzled.

Out of interest have you ridden another Tiger,if you look at the thread by Moose,he was complaining about what all Tigers do!!!,my other half tells me i have a mania about checking the vibes when we are riding,I hold the lefthand bar end with my thumb and index finger,I had one tune installed and within 50 miles been unable to hold the bars the vibes have been that bad.

There are one or two guys dabbled with Tuneboys,but the only other alternative is to take it to a dealer when it comes to setting one up,and even then not all of e'm are that good at doing it,it is a Triumph after all :wink:

fbarbas

Ok, unplugged the O2 sensor, ran the same, no engine check lite came on.

#1, engine check light is not burned out, comes on when you start.

#2, double, triple checked, it was the 02 sensor I unplugged.

Riding buddy of my say's he could smell unburned fuel from exhaust.

Me thinks, reload of the engine map is in order.

P.S. 57 thousand km's not miles, sorry about that.

Bixxer Bob

If your dealer is 300k  away you no longer have to go to the (great) expense of Tuneboy.  There's some freeby software around that allows you to load tunes yourself and also check which tune you're using.  Search around, it's listed on here somewhere.  I'd find it for you but I'm a bit pushed for time, my mother is in hospital so I'm 200 miles form home at the moment.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"If your dealer is 300k  away you no longer have to go to the (great) expense of Tuneboy.  There's some freeby software around that allows you to load tunes yourself and also check which tune you're using.  Search around, it's listed on here somewhere.

There's loads of stuff here and lots of people seem to be happy with the free stuff.

I got my Tuneboy before the free one came out and have been very pleased with it although it only sees occasional use now.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

fbarbas

I have down loaded the new version of TuneECU.

http://www.tuneecu.com/

Waiting for the cable, ordered from Hong Kong of Fleabay.

Will keep everyone posted.

fbarbas

I got the the cable last week, it had an old map (10083, downloaded 10121).
The bike runs like a charm now, high rpm rough running and lumpiness gone.

Thanks to everyone for there advice,  :lol:

Bixxer Bob

Nice to hear someone get a result for a change :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...