News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger versus V-Strom decision

Started by StarVato, September 28, 2004, 12:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarVato

I am about to get out of the cruiser world and into either a Tiger or a V-Strom. I have not rode either. My motorcycling root is in motorcross, but I am a 46 year old father of two now. Which is why I went to a Cruiser (2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic).

But in 2 years of riding I have learned that the cruiser bike is not quit the performance (handling and power/weight) machine I'd "need". I don't like the sport bike crunch, so the Adventure Tourer class is where my future is taking me.

Now the decision. I like both the Tiger and V-Strom (sure wish Honda and Yamaha had some U.S. options here too). Like Harley's, BMW is just to expensive. I know the opions here will be Tiger biased, but I'd like some help being "sold" on which bike to get. I'm posting this on a V-Strom forum to get two sides to the stroy.

Your experience and knowledge sharing will be appreciated. Why should I get a Tiger?

Larry

newmanr19

Good choices both.. there are a few others; such as a used BMW 80/100 or 1100 or 1150 GS and the KTM 950 as well as some others but those are the most popular.

As for me, I have owned the KTM 950 (and a couple of the 650 types) and I did a farily long test ride on an 02 V-Strom 1000 but I ended up with an 02 Tiger.  I sold the KTM as it was very uncomfortable for me on long distance rides and it was too tall. It was also darn expensive to maintain and all that pretty plastic is pricey to replace. I almost bought the V-Strom and I am sure I would have been happy with it but I am glad I got the Tiger mainly for two reasons;  Style and performance (off-road that is) IMO, the Tiger has the V-Strom beat on both (especially the styling).

As for off-road used, basically I think the V-Strom with it's cast wheels and plastic parts all over the place would have made me hesitant to take it some of the places I like to ride and I can't be worrying about such things when I am out trying to have fun. It's true (unfortunately) the new Tigers also have cast wheels so it may be a while before word gets out on how they stand up to off-road riding. The V-Strom lists indicate their wheels will not take a whole lot of abuse.

good luck

Badger

I was in this position about three months ago. The Tiger definately wins on styling for me. They both have great engines. One of my concerns was Suzuki build quality as I ride all year and I feel the V-Strom would probably dissolve in a typical British winter.

Try and get a ride on both and do what your instinct tells you.

Good luck

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

BP_LONDON

Tell you what, park a Tiger and a Strom at a rally and you'll see which one gets the most stares and comments. Then, get a taste of that 955i engine and you'll have your mind made up for you.  :lol:  8)

tigrotto

Because  three cylinders are just "another world"

.... think different, think three.

Flying Tiger

I also was in the same dillema.  I had spent lots of time researching the V-strom 1000 and was all set to buy it.  My dealer just had happen to take  an '03 Tiger in on a trade two days earlier.  I test rode them both and liked them both, but the 'pros' of the Tiger won out on: looks and style, the suspension (not too stiff), very cool instrumentation, seat comfort, deceleration was much smoother and didn't throw over the handle bars, and the triple was vibration free troughout the band.  Friends also love the sound.  "It's sound like a jet engine."  The more I ride it, the more I like it.  

My verticaly challenged wife has a v-twin cruiser, so I can still take a "laid back" ride on her bike when the feeling suits me.

Bushwhacker

Quote from: "StarVato"I am about to get out of the cruiser world and into either a Tiger or a V-Strom. I have not rode either.  Larry

I spent a number of years in the Cruiser Community - ie Magna, Intruder, Virago, Valkyrie Standard and Valkyrie Interstate.

After a 5000 mile tour of Alaska and Canada on a rented KLR I was sold on the Dual Sport suspension and its ability to handle all weather and road conditions.

I bought an 05 Tiger in early August.

My short list was the V-Strom DL1000 and the Tiger.

Now before I get into why I made my decision let me give my experiences with the Tiger over the last couple of months.

Items Added -

Ma's Cycles Engine Guards

Kuryakyn Highway Pegs - Cruiser holdover

The seat sucks in my opinion and I bought a used one and sent mine to Russel Day Long to have it rebuilt - (~$750)

Gasoline Guage Sending Unit and Battery replaced under warranty - great service - no Hassles.

Pro-Oiler electronic automatic chain oiler.

Triumph Tank Bag

Triumph Bag Liners

Gen-Mar pull back risers.

Cee Bailey's windscreen

The bike runs like a scalded dog.  Smooth engine - rides great.  Just got back off a 1000 mile trip through the Texas Hill Country.  Bike performed flawlessly.  

The saddlebags suck.  - Hard to pack.  OK for hauling around day to day items but not for packing for a trip.  However I have the tank bag for my day to day items.  The hard bags will be relagated to rain gear, maps, tools, etc and I am going to buy a Givi V46 top case for traveling.

Lots of comments and compliments on the bike and since most of my riding buddies are cruiser riders a comment I never heard too much before - "I sure would like to take that thing for a ride sometime!"

Bottom Line - I am happy with my decision even though some of the basis for the decision - ie hard bags - turned out not to be valid, and If something happened and I had to replace the bike today I would replace it with the same thing!

Photo - front of bike with guards and pegs -

http://vrcc.photostash.com/vrcc_11678/Guards-front2.jpg

Factors which influenced my decision -

1. 3-Cylinder vs V-twin

I have had v-twins. I do not like the vibration. I came from the

Valkyrie whose engine is so smooth you can balance a nickle on its

edge on the valve cover and rev the engine to 3-4k rpms and the

nickle will not fall over. - The tiger is almost as smooth as the

Valkyrie.

2. Luggage - add to cost of V-strom

I like bags for long distance riding but not for around town. The

tiger bags are integral to the bike and when you take them off there

are no big mounting brackets hanging off the bike. The V-Strom

luggage is extra - which makes the price much closer - and the big

ugly black brackets stay on the bike when you remove the bags.

3. Handling

The steering geometry of the 05 tiger makes for better handling in

the twisties than the V-Strom -

Tiger rake and trail - 25.8/87.9

V-Strom rake and trail - 26.5/110

4. Maintenance and Reliability

My research indicated that both bikes are very reliable with similar

maintenance costs- ie, do it your self and it is pretty reasonable,

have the dealer do it and you pay through the nose. (Me-I have the

dealer do it - I am old, lazy, I can afford it and if something goes

wrong I have someone else to blame!)

One difference - The tiger engine is supposedly good for 200,000

miles before needing an overhaul - V-twins tend not to make it nearly

this far without an overhaul. Harley recommends that their engines

get a top end overhaul at 60-80 thousand miles.

5. Intangibles -

A. Cool Factor - Sorry - The V-strom just ain't as cool as the Tiger.

B. Passion - I put about 40,000 miles in three years on two

Valkyries. The Valkyrie is a great bike, I was just ready for

something a little lighter and nimbler and something more suited to

long distance touring in all weather and road conditions.

One thing about the Valkyrie and Valkyrie owners. They love their

bike. It is the best bike on the road. Other bikes can do various

tasks better but the Valk does everything well (except dirt). Heck,

I know people on the Valk forums who have bought spare bikes because

Honda has discontinued the Valk.

With some exceptions, V-strom Riders are not like that. The tend to

feel that they have a good, dependable all around bike that serves

their current purposes. But, it seems it is just a tool, like a good

ratchet handle or pair of pliers.

Riding is about emotion, it's about passion. You should love your

bike. You should think - I have the best bike in the world and pity

these other idiots who do not realize it. I found this attitude much

more prevalent on the Tiger forums than on the V-Strom forums.

And really, this was probably the deciding factor for me. Current V-

strom owners have a good, reliable motorcycle. Current Tiger owners

have a bike they love. And ain't that what it's all about.

-
When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Bushwhacker"...

Current Tiger owners have a bike they love. And ain't that what it's all about.

-

So true.... 8)

Chris Canning

Well some rather fancifull replies i have to say!!!! Tiger or GS thats the decison,the rest are a league below,well below!!!.

Chris

SIBBO

Chris Canning wrote
QuoteTiger or GS thats the decison

Hey Chris lets forget that anything else exists and sing about the glorious Hinkley striped machine from the rooftops  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:.

Chris Canning

Sorry Sibbo don't do the head in the sand routine,I own a beemer as well so i know they have plenty of good points,for me it's a matter of what suites the individual and can you afford it.

And for those who take an interest in such things,has anyone notice how the prices of the 900i or 885i have in some cases dropped under the Steamer prices!!!.

I'm on my third Tiger and would have been on my forth if there had been a Sport Tiger this year or next,but i'm under no illusions about them.

Chris

SIBBO

I agree mate if there was no Tiger i would go for the GS.

The new 1200 with the blue rims looks verrrrr  nice but at the cost of a small house in Europe Hmmmmmmm :lol:

I think the Tiger covers a very niche market  that the GS does'nt appeal to.......its kind of a sports bike rider trying to put off retirement type of machine. mind you saying that i am in my 30's and have never owned a sports bike and find the tiger more than ample to meet my thrill quota so maybe i am just a little bit :?

newmanr19

Quote from: "SIBBO"I agree mate if there was no Tiger i would go for the GS.

The new 1200 with the blue rims looks verrrrr  nice but at the cost of a small house in Europe Hmmmmmmm :lol:

I think the Tiger covers a very niche market  that the GS does'nt appeal to.......its kind of a sports bike rider trying to put off retirement type of machine. mind you saying that i am in my 30's and have never owned a sports bike and find the tiger more than ample to meet my thrill quota so maybe i am just a little bit :?

If BMW delivers a 1200 Adventure model; I may be tempted to sell my house to buy one  :wink:

ATDRS

My two cents worth.

Had an 02 Strom after a Valkyrie. Momma didnt like it so I got a 900# tourer. I didnt like it so got an 05 Tiger.

Both the Strom and the Tiger have their issues. Wind buffetting is the main one.

Strom is very smooth when setup correctly and ridden as the engine was designed, not as a big cruiser motor.

Handling goes to 05 Tiger over Trailwing shod 02 Strom. Gas mileage about same as is comfort.I have had both seats modified for extra heigth and leg room.

As covered above, the Tiger luggage is included and looks better than the Suzuki stuff. For me the Tiger stuff just works better.

In the USA the Tiger has a 2yr warranty, Strom,1yr..

As to looks, I judge it from the driver's seat cuz it's my ride and I don't care if others approve of it or not. Nod to the Tiger by a hair.

As to the quality issue, my 05 came with a bad sensor so the bike would not run. Dealer took care of that right away and not a hiccup one since.

Strom, once setup was also trouble free.

Buy, ride and enjoy.

newmanr19

btw, there's a good thread right here with people posting why they bought a Tiger; might help you out

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32