News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hyperpro discontinued shocks for Girlies...Got Penske Racing

Started by haroldo_psf, October 07, 2010, 10:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

I made a promise to myself that if I could get this bike running right, I'd fix the suspension...Well, it doesn't stall anymore, so for me that's running right :)

Anyway, I contacted Hyperpro directy in the Netherlands, and this is the email they sent back:

"""""
Mr Filho,

This is correct: we recently took them out of our programme, since the original Triumph mounting point in the rear swingarm is constructed in such a way, that we cannot guarantee a proper function of the rear shock.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Regards,

John Troost

Hyperpro Sales

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Van: Haroldo Filho, T-SY [mailto:haroldo.filho@tecan.com]
Verzonden: woensdag 29 september 2010 16:58
Aan: Info
Onderwerp: question on shocks for Triumph

Hello,

On your website, you list two shock options for a 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i, the 3D Emulsion Shock and the 3D MX Body. However, when I contected a distributor here in the Us (hyperprousa.com), they said you no longer make these shocks for the 2001 955i. Is this true, or are they mistaken?

Thanks

Haroldo
"""""
Anyway, soooo, the good news is, if I wanted a fully adjustable Hyperpro shock with a remote hydrolic preload adjuster, it would cost about $1200 dollars, or I could have a simple shock without compression dampening adjustment and without remote preload for $600 dollars.

Well, I just had my suspension guy (www.evolutionsuspension.com in San Jose CA) order me a two way adjustable (compression + reboud) Penske shock with remote preload adjuster for $800 bucks! Score!

It will make a world of difference on that old baby! When the bank account recovers, I will do the front suspension as well (springs and re-valve)

Does anyone here have this Penske shock and could share any thoughts?
2000 Tiger 885i

Sasquatch

Hmmm.  I just sold one last month to a customer without any problem.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

Not sure about that Hagon...

I'm talking about Hyperpro discontinuing their support for the 955i, not Hagon.

Sasquash, when you sell these shocks, do they come straight from Netherlands or from a US supplier?

By the way, if I knew you were a Hyperpro dealer, I would definetely have given you my business and gone with the Hyperpro, as the Penske Racing 8983 seems a bit of an overkill. But...now this is what I'm getting.
2000 Tiger 885i

pizzaman383

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Hmmm.  I just sold one last month to a customer without any problem.

That was me!  I installed it and I love the progressive spring.  My Penske dealer told me that remote preload was not available.  

It can be hard to get a shock for the Girlies.  They don't seem common enough, I guess.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Sasquatch

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"Not sure about that Hagon...

I'm talking about Hyperpro discontinuing their support for the 955i, not Hagon.

Sasquash, when you sell these shocks, do they come straight from Netherlands or from a US supplier?

By the way, if I knew you were a Hyperpro dealer, I would definetely have given you my business and gone with the Hyperpro, as the Penske Racing 8983 seems a bit of an overkill. But...now this is what I'm getting.

They come from Germany, through the us importer.  I am also an Ohlins and Race Tech dealer.

jonathan jaecks

Replaced my stocker with a 3-way adjustable Penske shock last winter...it rocks.  Completely changed the ride of the bike.  Sucked to install it as I had to pull the swingarm and do a little fabrication for the remote to get everything to fit but would do it again in a second.  The front end has Race Tech cartridge emulators and progressive springs from Wirth to balance things out a bit.

Also put on (it's a road only Tiger) a rear hugger/chain guard from Skidmarxx to keep off the road grime.

Let me know if you need/want pics or anything.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"Replaced my stocker with a 3-way adjustable Penske shock last winter...it rocks.  Completely changed the ride of the bike.  Sucked to install it as I had to pull the swingarm and do a little fabrication for the remote to get everything to fit but would do it again in a second.  The front end has Race Tech cartridge emulators and progressive springs from Wirth to balance things out a bit.

Also put on (it's a road only Tiger) a rear hugger/chain guard from Skidmarxx to keep off the road grime.

Let me know if you need/want pics or anything.

Pics please!!!

so, the remote adjuster is for compression, not pre-load. I was wondering, is it hard to adjust the pre-load? The suspension shop where I placed the order says Penske provides a special tool to adjust the pre-load. Is it easy to do? The shock doesn't need to come off, does it?
2000 Tiger 885i

jonathan jaecks

Swamped with work stuff so I'll try to get picks posted tonight.  To service the shock it needs to be removed, adjusting it is simple and done while in place.

I have the 8987  http://www.penskeshocks.com/Motorcycle-8987_Series.php
 which necessitated some fabbing to fit the remote.  I do not have a remote adjuster but since I don't fiddle with it all the time is really no big deal.

If your shock needs an adjustment tool it can probably be found at traxxion dynamics.
http://www.traxxion.com/

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"Swamped with work stuff so I'll try to get picks posted tonight.  To service the shock it needs to be removed, adjusting it is simple and done while in place.

I have the 8987  http://www.penskeshocks.com/Motorcycle-8987_Series.php
 which necessitated some fabbing to fit the remote.  I do not have a remote adjuster but since I don't fiddle with it all the time is really no big deal.

If your shock needs an adjustment tool it can probably be found at traxxion dynamics.
http://www.traxxion.com/

What do you mean by "service the shock"? How is it different than "adjusting"?

I see you got the high end stuff...I got the 8983 (3 way adjustable). What you got is beyond 3 way adjustable, it is FULLY adjustable, with high and low speed compression dampening adjustment.
2000 Tiger 885i

jonathan jaecks

Servicing equates to rebuilding such as changing oil, putting in new seals, or recharging the n2.  Got to pull it to do all that.  All the knob turning can be done while still on the bike.

jonathan jaecks

Here's the pics... One is the Penske shock, you can see the remote N2 canister/compression/rebound adjuster hose clamped to the frame above the passenger footpeg.  The other is just the Skidmarxx hugger/chain guard I added to keep off road crud.  The remote N2 canister is huge, and fits only with some plastic removal and knuckle bashing.

jonathan jaecks

ooo, sorry about the pic size.

haroldo_psf

I just got my Penske shock installed.

the ride is unbelievably more controlled. No questions.

However, it seems that when I sit on the bike, the sag is almost the same (a tad less maybe) as the original old shock that was in there with it's pre-load cranked all the way to 5.

When I brake, the bike doesn't squat anymore like it did before. It holds its atitude well.

The ride is very compliant and comfortable, but maybe I think my spring might be too soft, but maybe not, don't know. I am comparing this with my other bike which is a sport tour, more aggressive ride than the Tiger. On that bike (Concours 1400, or 1400 GTR), the sag is a lot less than on the tiger, but I don't now if these dual sport bikes are supposed to have more sag than standard street bikes.

Questions:

What is your opinion?

How was it when you switched oveR?

Did you buy it straight from penske, or Wilbers, or Hagon, or Hyperpro?

Who determined your spring rate?

How much do you weight, and do you know what spring rate you have?

Do you know how much sag I should measure?

thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it
2000 Tiger 885i

Timbox2

To go back to the original post re Hyperpro not doing the shocks anymore, Ive just been quoted for one here in the UK, but strangely I have to agree that the Hyperpro website now only lists spring kits?? What gives?
2016 Tiger Sport