News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Gauge

Started by Black TRH, October 08, 2004, 08:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black TRH

Help. I have owned my 885i year 2000 tiger for about a month now and I cannot fathom the fuel gauge. I initially topped the tank up to the brim even though it wasn't showing empty but the needle never reached the 1 or full mark, normally stopping midway between half and full. I then decided to run it until the fuel light came on. The handbook states that at this point there should be approx 4 litres in the tank. I ran on for about 20 miles and then filled up. I again filled to the brim, whilst ast on the bike so that it was level. I only managed to sqeeze about 17 litres in. The tank is meant to hold 24 litres. Again the needle did not go near the full mark. Is the fuel light coming on early. The needle is well into the red when it does come on. Has anybody else found this problem or have I just got a duff sender unit.

BykBoy

I can't trust my fuel gauge or the light indicater on my 2001 955i. It was OK for the first 12,000 miles, but now it's just crap. Light does not come on at all (left me stranded on the NJ Turnpike and I had to push the big cat 3 miles to the gas station...), or it comes on right after I fill up. The gauge seems to work fine until it hits half way (at about 100-115 miles), then drops right to empty in 10-15 miles and stays there for another 50-60 miles. I fill up based on miles traveled and use the gauge as a secendary indicator. No use for the light.

The guy at the local Triumph shop said the sender units on the Tigers are crap and tried to talk me into getting a new one. $95 for the unit and another $100 of labor. I'd rather spend the money on a TB pipe or gel seats...
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

echoyankee

Funny, I've been putting all my faith in that little tickover light.  That has dutifully winked out when I'm on a downslope and come back on when I'm riding uphill when the tank is on the low-ish side.

The gauge does, to it's credit, dutifully report when the tank is full.  Beyond that, I have little if any faith in what it's telling me.

BykBoy, I'm out of town this weekend, but am still interested in catching up at some point.

Best,

echoyankee

Chris Canning

The early injection models were notorious for bad fuel gauges,in fact they(Triumph) stopped replaceing them at one stage,untill they got them sorted out,but i've nevr had a problem with the one on my 955 and it's four years next april.

Chris

My 2002 model needed a new sender pretty soon after getting it. A friend has a 2005 model bought this spring and his sender is playing up so they (Triumph) haven't got it sorted yet.

I was told that what happens is that something inside the mechanism is not smooth and gets caught inside i.e. it jams up or gets stuck.

hellfire

Hi guy's

As you can see i'm new to this forum!......So a BIG hello from me!

i'm glad my old carb type tiger has no fuel guage now!

looks like it just adds to the weight :lol:... setting the trip meter does me just fine,

i've had my tiger from new since 1993 and done some happy 25,000 miles, and i would'nt change it for the world! :P

Cheers....Andy
if it\'s not broken then fix it until it is!

barjan

when I bought my '00 885i 2 years ago (second hand), the fuel gauge was crap. At the first service the dealer (other dealer then bought from) replaced a part (I thought the sender) on the basis of an update/modification (no charge).

It now works fine (30.000 km so far). It is not linear, but predictable. Also the light comes on when used 20 liters.

So it should be possible to have a working fuel gauge. (I Still use the trip meter for fuel estimations however).