News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Its gone "gold"

Started by TigerTim, October 09, 2004, 11:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTim

My 10 week old 2005 Tigers now got 4.5k miles up, looking pretty dirty after a weeks holiday, so I spent 3 :oops: hours cleaning the ol gal.

Bike now looks like new save for the can that appears to have taken on a "golden hue".

Is this normal - a case of "they all do that sir", or not :?:

I'd really like to get it back to original.

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

Brock

Unfortunately the whole exhaust system discolours over time, with the pipework going a deep bronze colour. But the can itself should stay pretty close to the original colour. There's all sorts of metal polishes out there to try. I've used good 'ol Brasso wadding for years and it seems to suit the hostile environment that the can is in. Specks of rubber/oil/crap just polish out with a little effort.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

BP_LONDON

Same here, the gold/bronze colour is beautiful in my opinion...apparently that is a sign of a very healthy overall engine and system.

TigerTim

Quote from: "Brock"Unfortunately the whole exhaust system discolours over time, with the pipework going a deep bronze colour. But the can itself should stay pretty close to the original colour. .....

Cheers Brock thought that might be the case, but its only 10weeks/4.5k miles old  :roll:  How bronzeeee gold does it get :?:

Happy riding.

Tim

Brock

Mine's a couple of months old, got 3,000 miles up, and the pipes are completely golden brown all the way to the joint with the link pipe. From there onwards (pipe and can) it's still pretty much as it was when new.

Doesn't detract from the bike though...I think it would look too "girly"  (like a Harley) if it was bright stainless all through.

Matter of opinion innit?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

TigerTim

Quote from: "Brock"Mine's a couple of months old, got 3,000 miles up, and the pipes are completely golden brown all the way to the joint with the link pipe. From there onwards (pipe and can) it's still pretty much as it was when new.

Doesn't detract from the bike though...I think it would look too "girly"  (like a Harley) if it was bright stainless all through.

Matter of opinion innit?

The pipes etc on mine are just like yours, though the can has patches of "golden brown" in combination with the original finish. Maybe it'll become more uniform with time and miles.

Regards

Tim