News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie question I'm sure, but then I am

Started by Biglad, November 30, 2010, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biglad

Hello All,

Thinking about the purchase of a 2001 (green/black) Tiger 955i with 20K miles. Current owner is second owner and bought bike of a reputable bike shop. He has no details whatsoever on the service history. He covered about 4K miles on the bike himself and admitted he is a cabinet maker, not a spanner spinner...

The bike looks in good overall shape and the previous (first) owner fitted a Scott Oiler which is the only modification afaik... This might indicate that the original owner had some idea of bike maintenance etc maybe?

What would you do in this situation where there is no service history...

Other option is a 1999 Steamer in red with 12K miles, looks immaculate...
When can i expect starter sprag etc. to go on this as I think I read they all do? This is a cheapish bike but my heart is telling me to go for the Girly one...

All opinions are welcome, I'm a Biglad, bring it on...

If this was asked and answered before than please accept my humble apologies and point me to the thread please

:oops:
2001 955i Roulette Green

John Stenhouse

Go for the Girly, as long as the oil was changed should be fine, hasn't even got to the big service yet, you can do that when you get it, then it will give you some idea of what the engine top end looks like condition wise.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Girly,use the lack of service history to knock the price down  :wink:

Biglad

Just bought myself a Tiger, a Girly one, black and green.  :D

Hoping to pick her up within the next couple of days.

A nice end to the year, roll on 2011.

Happy New Year all.
2001 955i Roulette Green

Mustang

John Stenhouse

Well done, roll on the riding weather.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting