News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Tiger Swing arm colour

Started by Biglad, January 02, 2011, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biglad

I once owned a '93 Trophy 1200, just before they started looking like a rolling tupperware ad, man it was quick, and i loved the fact that is was a Triumph, bit quirky and different. I hope this Girly adds the back road fun to my previous experience, sure she will... :D
2001 955i Roulette Green

zombie2

Quote from: "Biglad"Depends on the kind a business you're in, but things are not good in general. My "work" is currently mostly in the UK and mainland Europe which kind of suits me being Dutch, Donegal is just the place where I live at the moment, no business for us here at all at the moment. What exactely do you mean with "off the coast"?

In a big boat I was, Spent 4 years meandering the irish sea..
Good luck with the bike and if the weather is good enough , flog the thing thru the wicklow gap , love them mountain roads

Chris Canning

Yep looks bog stock to me,Donegal!! when ever we go we always wonder what the hell everyone does to pay for all the new house over there.

When the NW200 is on,a trip is always in order to go to Carndonagh for a coffee.

Your Dutch,jeeze you lot get every where!!,I met a guy many years ago on a camp site in the SOF and we have remained great friends over the years so I've seen my fair share of Holland as he's moved about,but finally settled in Middleburg,the only problem!! he likes Laverdas  :D

Biglad

Well all, she's home. Bit of a shock when I got there first, previous owner was a dirty b@stard, his personal hygene was OK, but I'd say the bike has never seen a sponge or anything near it during his ownership. Scott Oilers are great, and work even better with oil in them. I'd say all the oil was stuck to the rim of the real wheel, chain guard and swing arm, the reservoir was bone dry as was the chain. The seat was lying next to the bike and there was a box with a battery in it, still to be fitted. Anyway, at least she was cold, and after he fitted the battery, one push of the button, and she was purring away, nice one. No strange noises, bit of condensation from exhaust, everything OK here.

The guy didn't even bother giving the bike a clean before we came up, there are a few bit's and pieces that need attention, but mostly she is filthy. Fairing panel thing (black) seems to push on to a lug attached to the tank (?)but won't match with the lug on the RHS...we'll see more during daylight tomorrow.

Few scrapes on the rhs hand guard and on the tank which I knew of.
A very thorough wash and degrease is on the program for this weekend and during this exercise I will be inspecting her closely. I've seen a bar-end that's hanging off, a few wires that seem to be chaving behind the ignition barrel and the ignition barrel itself has a lot of mobility for some reason.

All and all delighted with the purchase and at this money it was/is an absolute steal!!
 :D
2001 955i Roulette Green

chairhead

Thats good news :thumbsup
will be nice to see her onced shes cleaned,and in a decent photo :D
i hope everything is good under all the crud :wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Biglad

Couldn't help myself and started digging a bit deaper yesterday evening. The black panel that holds the indicator has a fairing lug that connects to the tank...these didn't match up on the rhs. I now have the whole front fairing removed and there is surface corrosion everywhere, what a dirty pig, and I can tell that the subframe that holds the front fairing etc is slightly bend (standing in front of the bike the lhs is pushed back slightly), causing the fairing lug not to match up with the hole int he tank (pushed backwards about half an inch) one headlight is held in place with a cable tie etc...

She will need a lot of tlc, but I think every thing is repairable without having to replace anything major. I hope I can just about salvage everything but i think I will need a new instrument panel (black "dash" panel surrounding all the instruments etc.) as whoever installed the Oxford heated grips controls should be shot, they left a lovely crack in this panel and one of the lugs attaching to the frame has broken..

To be continued... :D
2001 955i Roulette Green

TigerTrax

Lad...
My first Tiger was a '98 ... used. I bought from original owner. He hardly ever cleaned it. Ran great though.

When I got it home.... I pulled every panel, seat, tank, fairing and spent
17 hours cleaning every nook & cranny. Then when I got done... I could
pull parts and replace as needed without fighting the dirt/grime.

About 2 weeks later.... pristine Volcanic Red... great running bike.

Sometimes it's the 'sweat' that brings out the luster in the diamond.

You probably have a great bike... just needs TLC.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Biglad

Thanks for the "wise words" TigerTrax, much appreciated.

I'm doing just that, stripping her and and giving her a top to bottom clean, polish, lube and ACF50 coating. Great way to get to know the bike and a great way to spend time when you're trying to give up the smokes...

I've located the bend in the little frame and I think it will straighten. I will have to replace the instrument panel as most of the lugs holding it on the frame are broken accept for the two top ones. I'm sure I can get one of these and re-use my own dials etc.

Whooped of the seats and other panels and a plan of attack is in the making. Charging harness is attached to the new battery so it will be kept nice and fresh.

The actual bath will have to wait a bit as temperatures have not been above freezing today...maybe tomorrow
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

At the risk of trying to teach gran to suck eggs Biglad,  try to use leverage rather than hammers when strightening the bent frame mate.  You have much more control over a lever.  For instance, if youo hold the frame in a vice, then pass a bar or pipe through it then lever against the vice to exert pressure where you need it etc etc.. And try not to kink the frame tubes :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Biglad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"At the risk of trying to teach gran to suck eggs Biglad,  try to use leverage rather than hammers when strightening the bent frame mate.  You have much more control over a lever.  For instance, if youo hold the frame in a vice, then pass a bar or pipe through it then lever against the vice to exert pressure where you need it etc etc.. And try not to kink the frame tubes :wink:

Lol, nice one, but good advice all the same. Had that approach in mind, but any advice is welcome. I believe these little sub frames are like hens teeth so I'll be carefull, promise.

I will need to replace the black plastic panel that houses all the dials etc. (sorry have no part name or number list yet) as only the two top lugs are still connecting it to the subframe and the bottom ones are all broken off.
Still not sure why the ignition barrel is moving that much, there is a metal bar spring type contraption holding in it to place but there seems to be something missing somewhere...

I did manage to repair the little black fairing panel (one that carries the indicator) by glue-ing the lug back in to place with 2-component epoxy glue so that's good to go.

I also found the riders and service manual under the passenger seat with a bit of a service history and some stamps, good news!!

Any other advice or links to salvagers/parts suppliers are welcome. Sory for all the newbee gobbledygook but I'll get more professional as I go along, promise.
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

No worries.  Regarding the ign lock,  they're held in place by shear bolts (when tightened at the factory they are supposed to do up really tight and then the hex breaks off so you can't remove them except by drilling).  Having said that, the shear bolts simply shaking loose is not unknown on Tiggers.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NeilD

Quote from: "Biglad"Any other advice or links to salvagers/parts suppliers are welcome. Sory for all the newbee gobbledygook but I'll get more professional as I go along, promise.

theres online parts diagrams here which might help   :wink:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/section.p ... ts_locator

Biglad

Quote from: "NeilD"
Quote from: "Biglad"Any other advice or links to salvagers/parts suppliers are welcome. Sory for all the newbee gobbledygook but I'll get more professional as I go along, promise.

theres online parts diagrams here which might help   :wink:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/section.p ... ts_locator

Superb, just what i needed...had to take a few deep breaths and nearly started smoking again after seeing the prices for the parts, gosh...

In the image attached you cannot only wittness how negleckted she was but I've also circled two missing fairing screws, weren't there at all, and the difference in gaps between the cockpit fairing and the tank between left and right. Question, are those bit's of the cockpit fairing with holes and rubber grommets supposed to be attached to something?
2001 955i Roulette Green

Biglad

Result today. After spending about 3 hours cleaning, still a good bit left to do, a mate of mine called up who works on bikes quite a bit.

After a hard look he thought the subframe was bend alright, but only very slightly, and he thought the tank was hanging down on the rhs more than anything else. We refitted the front fairing and lifted the rhs of the tank slightly and he presto, all other bits fell in to place. The bike obviously took a hit on the rhs, hence the scratches on the bottom rhs of the tank. We wedged a little piece of timber (about 10mm wide) between the tank and the horizontal frame tube and in that position everything is straight and everything fits back together.

Maybe somebody might have an idea as to what causes the tank to hang down on the rhs and how to straighten it. For now I will replace the bit of timber with some hard rubber which I will stick to the frame member. This means it will stay in place whenever the tank has to come of in the future.

To stay on story, the black anodizing is nearly gone in some places on the swingarm...future project maybe to get it redone.

I've attached an image of the piece of timber wedged in and a new "full frontal" with the fairing fitted...as well as a few others hinting at the progress made...
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

First, the two grommets - no, nothing fits there, I think they're just to stop the tank rubbing the fairing when putting on and taking off.

If the tank is sitting to one side, have a look to see if it's locating properly as you slide it forward onto it's mounts.  I can't recall without looking (and I'm not about to start pulling the tank off tonight) but I think you may have a missing mounting rubber.