News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Tiger Swing arm colour

Started by Biglad, January 02, 2011, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biglad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"First, the two grommets - no, nothing fits there, I think they're just to stop the tank rubbing the fairing when putting on and taking off.

If the tank is sitting to one side, have a look to see if it's locating properly as you slide it forward onto it's mounts.  I can't recall without looking (and I'm not about to start pulling the tank off tonight) but I think you may have a missing mounting rubber.

I haven't gone as far as taking of the tank yet. Still waiting on my workshop manual to arrive in the post to give me some guidance. It makes sense to me what you are suggesting as it had my head slightly wrecked. The final solution will be found with the tank off, I'm convinced about that alright.
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

Just had a look on the parts page.  I think one of item 16 on the tank and fittings page is what you'll find gone.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Biglad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Just had a look on the parts page.  I think one of item 16 on the tank and fittings page is what you'll find gone.

I think both of those are there (picture) although a bit hard to make out in the photo. I think it's something missing underneath that allows the tank to be "low" on the rhs...
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

I don't think they are the grommets from the front you know are missing, I think they are the tank mounting rubbers that the tank slides onto as you push it forward and down when mounting it. I just checked in my Haynes book of lies.  And I'll put a beer on the right one being missing. :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Biglad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I don't think they are the grommets from the front you know are missing, I think they are the tank mounting rubbers that the tank slides onto as you push it forward and down when mounting it. I just checked in my Haynes book of lies.  And I'll put a beer on the right one being missing. :wink:

That sounds about right. Wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner left one or two bits out...let's hope that that's it. I'll owe ya a beer if you're right lol

Is it a big job in general taking of the tank? Looks quite daunting to me...
2001 955i Roulette Green

zombie2

Taking off the tank is fairly straight forward.
Make sure you don't have to much petrol in the tank or it will be really heavy.
Disconnect your fuel lines and then the electrical connector for the fuel pump.
On the opposite side disconnect your fuel guage connector.
You will need to remove the battery and the battery box to get at the bottom tank bolt.
Also disconnect the main fuse holder on the side of the battery box.
Remove the bolt on the front of the tank
Then lift the tank up and out.
Check to see if you have plastic fuel connectors and if you do replace them with metal ones or they will snap on you eventually. Really , replace them and save yourself tons of grief

Biglad

Quote from: "zombie2"Taking off the tank is fairly straight forward.
Make sure you don't have to much petrol in the tank or it will be really heavy.
Disconnect your fuel lines and then the electrical connector for the fuel pump.
On the opposite side disconnect your fuel guage connector.
You will need to remove the battery and the battery box to get at the bottom tank bolt.
Also disconnect the main fuse holder on the side of the battery box.
Remove the bolt on the front of the tank
Then lift the tank up and out.
Check to see if you have plastic fuel connectors and if you do replace them with metal ones or they will snap on you eventually. Really , replace them and save yourself tons of grief

I've read all about the fuel connectors, I will check in the morning if they are still the plastic variety, if so than now is the time to replace them. Do the fuel lines stay attached to the tank when removing or the bike? I know this is probably a silly question byt hey, I'm new to this.
Battery box is already out, discovered that fuse that lives in there as well.
There is very little fuel in the tank, thank god.
So all that remains is the fuel lines...

Many thanks for the heads up etc...

Edit; just read the whole "how to remove the tank sticky"...such a bloody newbee thing to ask before looking, I'll have a go tomorrow...
2001 955i Roulette Green

zombie2

Cool.

Here's crash bars....
might work for you and only across the irish sea.
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8973

Biglad

Cheers bud, will look in to that
2001 955i Roulette Green

TigerTrax

You've got alot of dismanteling to do....

Pull all the front plastic off ( be careful to NOT break the end hooks off
the black portholes when you pull the turn signals.

Zombie was right... you have to pull the battery & battery holder to get to
one of the TORQUE bolts that hold the tank down. After you have have used the best 'Irish Pub' vulgarities getting that bolt out..... replace it with a HEX head and make life easier the next time!

Once you have that bolt out and the top ones removed.... get an 18" piece of 2" x 4" wood; Lift the tail of the tank slightly; Insert the wood;
reach in underneath and remove the fuel lines; Unplug the fuel pump;
Vent lines. ( Use white tape to mark everything )

From the looks of that bike.... I'd be concerned about moisture in the tank... drain it good ( look for sediment); Replace the fuel filter and vent filters.

FYI: To clean parts and electricals I use an electrical parts cleaning aerosol can... cleans things spotless and leaves no residue.

Just think.... you'll know that bike inside-out!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I don't think they are the grommets from the front you know are missing, I think they are the tank mounting rubbers that the tank slides onto as you push it forward and down when mounting it. I just checked in my Haynes book of lies.  And I'll put a beer on the right one being missing. :wink:

This one probably:

2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Just remember to disconnect the electrics first when you lift the tank,otherwise you'll be wishing you had 3 hands  :D

Biglad

Right, tank is off, easy with the sticky. I have metal male fittings (picture taken when tank was already out of the way, red connector to the bottom, silver on top) so recall must have been applied to this one?.

Rubber tank support "thing" is in place on both sides (picture), none the wiser so as to why the rhs of the tank is "low"...
Does anybody know what the official part no. or name is for these supports as they are a bit perished and knackered looking, will get two new ones. I'm having difficulty locating them in the parts pages, all I can find is no. 16 in the main frame components, there's nothing in the tank drawing that looks like them.

When lifting the tank off, the two very long breather hoses came out with the tank. When refitting, do i just thread them straightish down the center of the bike (they are very long).

Took picture of front sprocket too after removing a ton of old Scott Oil combined with road crud...that sprocket is shot looking yeah or is there a little life left? Was hoping to get another 2 or 3K miles out of them and get it all done during the 24K service. Rear sprocket clearly needs attention too, but again would like to leave it for a little while.

Also encountered two holes in airfilter box that are threaded, nothing in them though, are these "spare"?

As you can tell, much more cleaning to do...
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

That's a beer I own you then  :oops:

The rubber and mount look normal, so can't imagine from here why the right side sat low.  The tank basically sits on those two rubbers and is clamped down on the centre line by the front and back bolts.  Unless something atop of the airbox was pushing it out of line I can't think what else could be wrong.

If you're only going to do another 2-3k, the sprockets should be ok, more important though is to inspect the chain for tight spots, stretched links, and cracked sideplates.  The cracked sideplates do happen - I found several on my old 900 Trident after only about 8k.  And I had looked after it.  And it was genuine Triumph part... ah that might have been why.. :roll:  If there's any doubt, and the chain doesn't look like it's been cared for any more than the rest of the bike, why wait?  It's not that big a job and the reward in terms of smooth running are worth having.

zombie2

Are you sure those fuel fittings are metal
They look like plastic ones to me, I may be wrong tho
The replacement metal ones I put on my Girly are shiny and metal  and are also square
Anyhow double check cos it's important.