News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1200 Steamer

Started by NeilD, January 16, 2011, 10:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "NeilD"spotter on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-TRIUMPH-TI ... 4aa7d8376c
the text says it's FI but I can plainly see a mikuni carb  peeking out behind the cylinder .
And boy he's proud of it too at almost $8000 USD for a tigger that was first registered in 1993

NKL

I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Chris Canning

I would have thought looking at the number of viewings there are a fair few on here already seen it,the guy tried to sell it a while back,well the photos are the same,but looks like the price has gone up :shock:,but it would be interesting to ride thats for sure!!

CoolHandLuke

Seems a tad expensive :)

(not directed at anyone in particular)
Why was the engine changed?

If it has never been dropped, why has the paint work been changed -
especially for such a dull colour?

The rims were probably changed because they all go shite from that era.

Top left hand fairing bolt looks a bit iffy.

Standard brake hoses.  So the engine has been uprated but not the braking system.

He's gone for newer speed triple mirrors and not newer Tiger mirrors (they Tiger mirrors have longer stalks allowing you to see past your arms).

All in all, a nice bike, but not £5K's worth.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Seems a tad expensive :)

Standard brake hoses.  So the engine has been uprated but not the braking system.

He's gone for newer speed triple mirrors and not newer Tiger mirrors (they Tiger mirrors have longer stalks allowing you to see past your arms).

Thats made me chuckle,your obviousley not a tinkerer then!!,and haven't mentioned the obvious. :shock:

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Seems a tad expensive :)

Thats made me chuckle,your obviousley not a tinkerer then!!,and haven't mentioned the obvious. :shock:
The missing sump guard? :)

Aye, I tinker.  I have done a fair bit to mine (including replacing the mirrors with 1050 Tiger mirrors, hence I spotted his are off a none Tiger bike and know they are bloody useless to see with :p).

Chris Canning

Well I've changed a fair amount on mine,some parts more than once,but that bike in my book is a work of art cramming a 1200 motor in that frame,asking what happened to the motor is like asking why do it in the first place.

God knows how old those T66 tyres are,or what size?? as who ever did it has gone for a big rim on the back and a 17" on the front,but if you read the write up it says fuel injection,the 1200 didn't have it,and if look at the photos that doesn't either you can see the carb,so who ever owns it isn't too clued up thats for sure.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Well I've changed a fair amount on mine,some parts more than once,but that bike in my book is a work of art cramming a 1200 motor in that frame,asking what happened to the motor is like asking why do it in the first place.

God knows how old those T66 tyres are,or what size?? as who ever did it has gone for a big rim on the back and a 17" on the front,but if you read the write up it says fuel injection,the 1200 didn't have it,and if look at the photos that doesn't either you can see the carb,so who ever owns it isn't too clued up thats for sure.

I missed the fuel injection part :?

Fitting the 1200 motor into the Tiger is straight forward.  Not sure why anyone in their right mind would do such a thing given how top heavy they are already :)

And you are right.  Given he says he has owned this bike since 1994, he doesn't know an awful lot about it.

NeilD

yep we noticed the carbs when I posted the link first time, a couple of posts up..  :D   :P
ref the 1200 installation, I'm sure someone spoke to Sandy at Triumphant and apparently theres a problem with the carb/head being too close to the tank for the stock fuel tap to work... wonder how they got around it on this one...  :?  other than that I agree the advert does seem a bit sparse for someone who claims to have owned (and presumably loved!) the bike for a few years.. and yes if I was going for a non-stock repaint then I'd go for a more interesting colour..  :)

Chris Canning

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"Well I've changed a fair amount on mine,some parts more than once,but that bike in my book is a work of art cramming a 1200 motor in that frame,asking what happened to the motor is like asking why do it in the first place.

I missed the fuel injection part :?

Fitting the 1200 motor into the Tiger is straight forward.  Not sure why anyone in their right mind would do such a thing given how top heavy they are already :)

And you are right.  Given he says he has owned this bike since 1994, he doesn't know an awful lot about it.

Not sure about the 1200 motor e'h!!,ask Triumph their just in the process of doing it,only 20 years behind this,having said that I put 17" wheels on my 955 a good few years before Triumph did with their 1050  :P

Re the owner,like so many just trotted out what he's been told and not what he knows,what he really means 'It's has a Dynojet kit on'.

Neil
How much was it first time round??

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Not sure about the 1200 motor e'h!!,ask Triumph their just in the process of doing it,only 20 years behind this,having said that I put 17" wheels on my 955 a good few years before Triumph did with their 1050  :P
You are taking my statements out of context.  Putting a 1200 four cylinder in an old T400 Tiger when they are already top heavy with the 900 doesn't seem such a good idea.

The new 1200 is a whole different bike and looks really nice.

Chris Canning

The new 1200 is a whole different bike and looks really nice.[/quote]

Does it??,when the photos turned there were a fair few that thought it was a minger

rybes

just found this on ebay

so glad it wernt on there as i was buildin mine. still its an option for the future. anyone ever seen one. im currently checkin out the price of engines :D i can see this bein a project now, altho ill run it on carbs over FI.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "rybes"just found this on ebay

so glad it wernt on there as i was buildin mine. still its an option for the future. anyone ever seen one. im currently checkin out the price of engines :D i can see this bein a project now, altho ill run it on carbs over FI.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7420  :thumbsup