News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This'll make yer laugh

Started by Brock, October 17, 2004, 08:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock

Thought I'd whack some nice clean oil into the old gal this weekend.

The users manual, and the Haynes manual say 4 litres are needed when you change the filter as well. As I was leaving the filter on, I thought 3.5 litres would be just about right. So that's how much I put in.

Bugger me if the oil isn't way above the "max" marker on the dipstick after all the usual formalities (run the engine, leave it for 10 m minutes, make sure the bike's on level ground etc etc).

In the end, I syphoned (YES...SYPHONED!) about half a litre of oil back out to achieve the right level.

Laugh??? I thought my trousers would never dry.

And before you ask...yes, I have done it before...
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Patrick the Scot

What kind of oil are you running?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Brock

Castrol GPS. yes, yes, I know it's semi synthetic, but it's spec is the same as all the current fully synthetic oils. To be honest, I've heard that fully synthetic is wasted on engines that aren't fully run-in. Mine's only done 3,000 miles, so I figure she'll be ready for the expensive stuff a bit later on. The oil comes very highly rated by the local Triumph dealer.

The old gal seems to thrive on it too, and what she wants, she gets.
Chris

Badger

Chris

Good plan. Get 'em bedded in on semi and then the good stuff at the 12,000. Too good an oil will slow the running in process and can cause uneven bedding in.

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Brock

Chris

Patrick the Scot

QuotePosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Castrol GPS. yes, yes, I know it's semi synthetic, but it's spec is the same as all the current fully synthetic oils. To be honest, I've heard that fully synthetic is wasted on engines that aren't fully run-in. Mine's only done 3,000 miles, so I figure she'll be ready for the expensive stuff a bit later on. The oil comes very highly rated by the local Triumph dealer.

The old gal seems to thrive on it too, and what she wants, she gets.

Good call.  I got the same recommendation from PJ's Triumph as above. As Brock said, full synthetic can retard the running in process.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS