News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Effing Datatool Effing Alarms

Started by Bixxer Bob, February 15, 2011, 09:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Not Tiger but still Triumph,  I'm working on a 1050 Sprint ST for a mate.

He went to it after a couple of weeks non-use, hit the starter, it fired right up and then after a few secs whisps ofwhite smoke streamed out of the headstock area.  He turned it off pronto and put it away.  

He told me about it yesterday, so I offered to look at it for him but said I needed to trailer it to my place so I have my tools around me.  He was ok with that so I popped down to his gaff this morning.  First symptom that all was not right was that all through walking around it, turning it on, and moving it outside,  the alarm showed no interest in what I was doing whatsoever.  I loaded it onto my trailer - that was a load more fun as I tried to steady it and get the first two lashings on without marking his expensive plastics - and got it home.

I quickly removed the seat and tank to find that the suspect alarm was situated inside the left frame rail next to the headstock where the smoke was coming from.  I thought "the evidence is stacking up..." I removed the alarm and opened it up on the bench.  It's basically cast in a resin block, but it stank in a burned toxic plastic sort of way. Which was more evidence that it's mullered.  

Next I searched about a bit and found which pins need to be shorted to get the bike runnning, but I don't want to do that until my mate looks to see if he has the alarm bypass plug that the dealer should have given him when he fitted the alarm when the bike was new.  If he can't find it, I'll cut the plug off the alarm and make one.

Meanwhile, I've washed my hands a dozen times and still can't get rid of the stink.  What do they make those things from???

One thing,  I've not worked out why it fried itself yet,  there's no evidence of anything being wrong anywhere, not even any charring,  just that bloody awfull smell.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

oh boy, those things are a pain in the arse.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Exactly the advice I've been giving said friend.  He's convinced he doesn't need to replace it.  :hello2

On the good side, the bypass plug has turned up.  Should be able to get her running tomorrow. :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

I know your pain.
The wifes Fazer had a Datatool alarm on it and decided to immobolise the bike for some reason.
I spent a lovely weekend removing it, and rewiring all the same colour wires, i got through a few fuses!  :lol:

Bixxer Bob

I looked at all the Triumph models covered in the Haynes manual for Tiger and it seems they all have the same 12-pin plug wired in the same way.  I also checked the logic on the bypass info I found on here, which is to short together pins 1 and 3 also 2 and 5.  That effectively connects power from pins 1 and 2 to the fuel pump and ECU (pin 3) and starter button (pin 5).  All the other wires do is provide a live and a ground, flash the dashboard LED or flash the indicators.

Chris Canning

Alarms???

I'd have e'm banned  :evil: ,they do two things cause hassle and flatten batteries,I'm that anti alarm,when looking for a bike 18 months I saw several nice ones and turned e'm down flat(no pun intended!) because they they had alarms on,even stripping e'm off can be a hassle.

John Stenhouse

I'm with Chris, useless things.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Me too,  I was against them before this after a friend's alarm decided to cut his engine in the outside lane of the M4.  This experience has only cemented an already deeply held view.

On the plus side, my friend has now seen the light and won't be wasting £300 on another.  Hopefully he'll spend a quarter that amount on a chain and lock.

Meanwhile, the ST is all back together and running like a dream so he's collecting it tonight.

Adendum: I noticed that even with modern Khelin ECU (which is hugely superior to the SAGEM we're cursed with) and decent mapping, it still pops a bit on overrun if you blip the throttle...... :roll:

Nick Calne

You can disabled the alarm part by filling the unit full of shaving foam apparently.  You would imagine that thieves know this, making the alarm completely and utterly pointless.  And an imobiliser won't stop your bike being but in the back of a van.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

blacktiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Alarms???

I'd have e'm banned  :evil: ,they do two things cause hassle and flatten batteries,I'm that anti alarm,when looking for a bike 18 months I saw several nice ones and turned e'm down flat(no pun intended!) because they they had alarms on,even stripping e'm off can be a hassle.

Agree. But.....
I still get 10% off my insurance for my alarm that I....er....ahem......threw in a box about 5 years ago.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "rf9rider"I know your pain.
The wifes Fazer had a Datatool alarm on it and decided to immobolise the bike for some reason.
  :lol:

Have just found that my Datatool has imobilised by GSXR and wont respond to the remote or allow the ignition to do anything. Bloody thing will have to go!!!!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

aesdj

It sounds like its Datatool that are crap. Mines an Abletronic Absolute Protec and I tuck it off of my ZZR1200 and put it on the Tiger and its fine, never missed a beat.

TRKTEK

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I looked at all the Triumph models covered in the Haynes manual for Tiger and it seems they all have the same 12-pin plug wired in the same way.  I also checked the logic on the bypass info I found on here, which is to short together pins 1 and 3 also 2 and 5.  That effectively connects power from pins 1 and 2 to the fuel pump and ECU (pin 3) and starter button (pin 5).  All the other wires do is provide a live and a ground, flash the dashboard LED or flash the indicators.

Good day Bob,
In an attemp to remove my alarm, I, as described above, shorted 1-3 and 2-5 as a result I got lights and starter function but no dash lights or ignition.
Any Ideas?
Thank you

Steve
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Timbox2

Quote from: "TRKTEK"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I looked at all the Triumph models covered in the Haynes manual for Tiger and it seems they all have the same 12-pin plug wired in the same way.  I also checked the logic on the bypass info I found on here, which is to short together pins 1 and 3 also 2 and 5.  That effectively connects power from pins 1 and 2 to the fuel pump and ECU (pin 3) and starter button (pin 5).  All the other wires do is provide a live and a ground, flash the dashboard LED or flash the indicators.

Good day Bob,
In an attemp to remove my alarm, I, as described above, shorted 1-3 and 2-5 as a result I got lights and starter function but no dash lights or ignition.
Any Ideas?
Thank you

Steve

If like me you are using the plug off the alarm, I found that it was pins 1&4 and 3&5 on the alarm plug that need joining.

PS; If as I suspect the Triumph Loom plug is numbered the other way it would work out as BB says 1&3 2&5, but I couldnt see any numbering on that plug.
2016 Tiger Sport

TRKTEK

Hey Bob,
Thank you for the info, a combination of what I gleaned from this site and a little more googling, I found the required information. I can understand the reluctance to publish the info to disarm alarm systems. So if removal is the only option, learn the system and one's bike wiring and go from there.
Thank you for the help, the Tiger is now trouble free (apart from packing around a lock and chain) :)

Take care

Steve
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith