News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

from a recent ride I did, 70 miles off road

Started by Bob Tosi, February 23, 2011, 07:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

Went on a nice ride last Sunday.  We got turned around from snow and had to double back. About 70 miles of dirt.

morning coffee stop

at a Forest Service heli-pad about 8 miles in

a quick stop

crossing a creek

somewhere about 20+ miles in

Tiger vs KLR, ready, set GO!

KLR in the snow

this snow field stopped us, the other guys had knobbies and tried to ride it but couldnt make it to the end after about 100yds.  I didnt have knobbies so it was time to turn around.

an big mud hole early on the ride,  the guy on the DRZ650 ate it!

somewhere in the snow

just broke the brake line to the right front caliper after a fall at low speed. clamped it off and kept riding!

Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "bob tosi"clamped it off and kept on riding...

True spirit!!! :lol:

Looks like a good ride and you were up against some serious competition on knobblies - brave man!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bob Tosi

dropped the aire to 25psi and rode steady but not fast.  Pretty much didnt have any trouble negoiating any obstacles just could go fast in the gravel.

jwray76

nice! jealous of the ride for sure...if you do much more of that off road work you will greatly appreciate some more dual sport oriented tires.

Bob Tosi

Quoteif you do much more of that off road work you will greatly appreciate some more dual sport oriented tires.

That my man is a major understatement! LOL! :ImaPoser

D-Fuzz

How did they Tiger feel as far as handling & weight goes?  How was your gearing?  Compared to the KLR, I doubt there would be that big a difference as the new KLRs are fairly heavy.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

jwray76

Still carries its weight much higher that the KLR's and also the stock gearing is way high for any real off road work.

Bob Tosi

QuoteHow did they Tiger feel as far as handling & weight goes? How was your gearing? Compared to the KLR, I doubt there would be that big a difference as the new KLRs are fairly heavy.

She felt like a gem, really.  I aired down to 25 pounds and rode right along.  I didnt have knobbies so I was limited by that, but she handles great. I find a line and gas it!  Standing alot of the time and let the bike do its things.  Its now dirt bike but very capable when ridden like it should .

Quotethe stock gearing is way high for any real off road work.

This really wasnt an issueg. Never had an issue climbing or going over obstacles.

jwray76

well you do have the steamer which is better stock than the girlies. I changed mine to the same gear ratio as the steamer and could still stand a bit lower.

D-Fuzz

My Steamer needs some new rubber, so I am contemplating how much trail riding I want to do with it.  The stuff you are doing Bob looks about the same as I would want to do, no real tight singletrack or deep, heavy mud bogs.  I'd be ridng with DRs & KLRs, so it is good to see the Tigger can keep up.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Bob Tosi

This particular track had some ride had some technical sections that I never got pictures of because we were riding and couldnt stop.  Lots of rocks!  The "Old Girl" can really move it down the trail though.  With enough gas it just seems to motor through even the bad stuff.

Mind you , Im not on technical single track, but the stuff we did was way more than just a gravel fire road.