News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Long Throttle

Started by New-Tiger, October 25, 2004, 12:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New-Tiger

As the Tiger is my first motorbike i don't really have much bike/riding experience. But it seems to me as if it has a really long throttle. I mean to twist the throttle to max involves almost a dislocation of the wrist. I also noted that i hold the throttle grip with my hand partly over the bar weight as this seems to give me better fine control on the throttle.

05 Silver Tiger

Triumph race can

big grin.

MikeF

I have an 03 and have not found it to be that bad. One thing you may check is the break lever should not be rotated too high. If it is then your start position where you grab the break lever would put your hand too far down to start with. Try turning the lever down some and see if that makes a difference. Also a long throttle on a bike is a good thing as in loose and slippery conditions it gives you much better control. I had a Honda before the Tiger and it's throttle was like an on-off switch. It was very hard to ride smoothly even on the road.

BP_LONDON

Agreed, the amount of grunt available on the tiger makes a long throttle a good thing. Smooth riding is definitely easier this way.

Patrick the Scot

Also, you might try a little plastic doo-dad called the "throttle rocker" It is essentially a lever that velcros to the throttle grip.  The "lever" extends off the grip and under the palm of your hand.  With the rocker you can then flex you fingers etc. with out taking your hand off the throttle.  It is only $10.00 and available at any good mc dealer.  It will double the miles that you might ride in a day.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Quote from: "New-Tiger"As the Tiger is my first motorbike i don't really have much bike/riding experience. But it seems to me as if it has a really long throttle. I mean to twist the throttle to max involves almost a dislocation of the wrist. I also noted that i hold the throttle grip with my hand partly over the bar weight as this seems to give me better fine control on the throttle.

05 Silver Tiger

Triumph race can

big grin.

Where the hell do you live to get a Tiger as your first bike?

Anyway, you'll get used to the throttle. Most bikes are like that, in that you need a second grab to get fully open.

New-Tiger

I live in East London. I came into a bit of money. Did my direct access and went and bought a Tiger. I think i made a good choice. It is my first bike apart from the one i rode for the lessons and test. I find it beneficial to be so high up for the view ahead. Also the chilled out riding position helps keep things safe and sensible. I'm gently pushing my Tiger as my skills improve and it's nice to know it's got so much more to give! I'm yet to wheelie it or get a peg down. Not that i try too hard to do this. I've done 6000 miles since owning(4months?). Been flashed in a 30 zone yesterday, going about 50, so will have points soon. I've also had 3 parking tickets! all in Town. BUT! Boy do i enjoy riding this bike. I've been to Holland on it and Lands end. I hope i get many more pleasurable miles from it.

Thanks for the replies on the throttle Q.

Patrick the Scot

What does "flashed" mean? I also here all you fellas from the UK mentioning traffic cameras.  Is this the Orwellian apperatus at work?  I mean can you ever stretch the Cat's legs? Like 120+?

I suppose I've lived out West too long.  Gotten used to the covering ground in New Mexico, etc. at over a ton, on occasion.  Not like "Back East" or apparently "Across the Pond."
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

BP_LONDON

Spent quite some time on and over the ton here in blighty - doable, but only for very short stretches...