News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

About tiger wheels - what are my options.

Started by BP_LONDON, November 01, 2004, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP_LONDON

All these punctures have now made me seriously consider getting rid of the tiger and replacing/trading it with a secondhand GS so I can have tubeless, spoked wheels (I have no interest in a 04-05 cast wheel tiger). It's a shame though - the tiger is SO lovely overall, but it is now becoming too frustrating to have the bike towed each time I get a puncture (1 per month currently) - repairing roadside is just no option at all. :roll:

I bought the tiger with the intent of doing some serious touring/riding in spain, portugal in a year or two. The image of being stuck on a lonely dirt track in northern spain on a saturday evening with a flat tyre that I cannot repair is making me have second thoughts about keeping it.

Is it worth (cost wise) keeping the tiger and buying as set of Dymags to go tubeless?? Have any of you gone down this route? What are my options? I love the bike, but seeing it disabled so frequently because of the tubed tyres makes me want to cry. :evil:  :(

trotts

Go and have a look at www.triumph-ant.co.uk   They are a dealers in s Wales and you will see some Tigers with cast wheels attached to them !!  The wheels, if that is your fancy, come in at a cool £700 !
Dave T

BP_LONDON

Thanks Trotts. Not sure if I really like the cast wheels. I prefer the spoked, tubeless ones...

wonko the sane

A Google Search turned up a magazine article on sealing spoked wheels.  http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/wheelseal/  

It references a business in California doing this work but there may be someone in the UK doing it too.  And of course, on this site in the Accessories and Modifications area, TigerJay tells how he did it - "Just went tubeless".

John.
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

Deltabox

If my memory serves me well, I believe Hagon Shocks can respoke your wheels and put on a rim that'll accept TL tyres.

See for example the newer Moto Guzzis, eg California EV 1100.

Probably a cheap-ish option (if you're living in the UK, that is).

Keep us posted (cuz I'm interested too  8) )

[edit]just read another post in your puncture topic; it appears they don't...[/edit]
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)

Chris Canning

HI BP

Hmmm, haveing been rideing a bike over 35 years i've had two puntures!! firstly i'd say your just unlucky at the moment,both mine went the same the tyre went flat!!!!,what makes you think that repairing a tubeless tyre is any easier,oddly enough i cought the tube tyre quick enough put a Finilac in it and rode home!!!.

As for your options you could go Dymags but apart from cost(£1300),to be blunt you haven't been rideing a bike long enough to go the 17" route you'd have a heart attack and i don't say that in a sarcastic manner just a matter of fact,but i wouldn't mind betting that if you ask the right questions to the right people,try Central Wheel in B'Ham,you can come up with a solution if it's bugging you that much.

I see you don't mention what state your tyres are in,i've never worn a tyre out!!! they get changed way before that maybe thats why i've had so few.

As for some track in Spain!!,all i use my Tiger for travelling Europe,it's barely turned a wheel this year,most of my rideing has been done on my beemer,but in the 16000 miles it's done,it's been to the Polish boarder,South of France four  times,Mugello in Italy(GP) and a trip down the east coast of Spain- Lisbon and home!!!,i'd say you've just as much chance,if not better of getting one fixed over there as in England,but then i do carry a spare with me!!!.

Chris

trotts

I was thinking the same thing myself, one puncture in 20K miles on two tigers, and that was a nail ?

Is there some reason why our Tigers are more likely to get a puncture as they have tubes, than say a GS without a Tube ?? :arrow:  #-o
Dave T

newmanr19

Quote from: "trotts"I was thinking the same thing myself, one puncture in 20K miles on two tigers, and that was a nail ?

Is there some reason why our Tigers are more likely to get a puncture as they have tubes, than say a GS without a Tube ?? :arrow:  #-o

I think his point (and not a bad point) is that fixing a punture in a tubeless is much easier as it can be done on the spot; without removing the tire etc..

maybe he rides through a lot of construction zones??

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "newmanr19"
Quote from: "trotts"I was thinking the same thing myself, one puncture in 20K miles on two tigers, and that was a nail ?

I think his point (and not a bad point) is that fixing a punture in a tubeless is much easier as it can be done on the spot; without removing the tire etc..

maybe he rides through a lot of construction zones??

That was exactly my point Newman. Sorry I did not make it clearer in my original post. I'm wondering if my current riding style is to blame for the punctures. Sometimes I need to cross over a bit of gunk/gravel whewn filtering the ubiqutous traffic in london - I know it's not a god idea in general but filtering is essential when riding here...

SIBBO

BP i reckon you have hit the nail on the head.

When waiting at a set of lights the other day i looked at  the contents of the gravel near the kerb or offside on dual carriageway......there are screws, nails ,sharp metal and allsorts in there and that was just what i could see.      

I have decided to filter down the middle of lanes to the front of the Q where possible,if i cant i will have to learn to be a little more patient.

newmanr19

Quote from: "SIBBO"I have decided to filter down the middle of lanes to the front of the Q where possible,if i cant i will have to learn to be a little more patient.

is lane splittin legal over there?

SIBBO

I  suppose in the strictest sense NO.

But as long as you ar'nt going stupid or riding dangerous the police dont really bother you.

I have seen police doing the very same in heavy traffic and with  no emergency to attend........"whats good for the goose is good for the gander". :wink:

Badger

Lane splitting or filtering as it is better known in the UK is legal but you have to watch out for dozy cage drivers changing lanes without looking. I believe that if you have an accident while filtering  you are on dodgy ground when it comes to an insurance claim.

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Deltabox

oooohhhh, I'm soooo Happy living here in NL...  :lol:

Careful lane splitting in traffic jams or slow moving (Ok, legally dodgy definition) traffic IS perfectly legal over here, plus, and here's the best part, you are in your right in case some twat in a cage happens to wander into your way (legal precedence  8) )

OK, it won't hurt any less, but it will prove less costly in the process
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)

joefj1200

I went the spoke tubeless conversion route and I'm completely happy. Now I can fix flats roadside in minutes with the Stop and Go tire repair kit.
\'92 XT600 "faux motard"
previously AFM #663, AHRMA #663 (retired)
\'96 black Steamer - sold
\'02 black Girly - sold...\":(\"