News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What bikes do you wish you still owned?

Started by Tigertriple, April 18, 2011, 01:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxnsox

Would still love to have my  '75'  RD250, ran it stock for a year then swapped out the barrels and pistons for 350 parts. Cheapest best upgrade, but you also had to put 350 gudgins in or the pistons flew apart. (The things they don't tell young fellas)

Playing with the jets taught me how to get 60mpg, with a careful wrist... and also took me to the school of 'cease'.

The RD350C A lot of fun and falls and learning (in the hands of a teen).
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sin_Tiger

Having just sold the Striple, I really miss it, on the positive side,I still have my license  :lol: but that might change as the Thruxton gets tweaked :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

treewright

I miss my T160 trident bought on the never never in 1977 the last year of real production though, heady days me and me mate turning up at youth club on the triumphs a blue and white T140 and me on my maroon and white T160, taught me to hang onto things though and hence why I had to have another triple glad the tiger chose me!
1983 landrover 110 3.5 turbo diesel,yamaha xt600 tenere 1987,triumph tiger 885 carb 94,95?

nicktulloh

My '70s Trident.
My '59 R69.
My 441 Victor.
My John Player Norton.
My bought new SR500 that became my first racebike.
Ducatis: 750GT, 750SS, Pantah, 996SPS racebike, Darmah (new)
1928 Scout
My three Vincents: Comet, Grey Flash replica and Rapide.
My Guzzi LeMans III (new)
One of about a dozen WLAs.
My Thruxton with Motorvation hack and Unit leading link front end.

Think that's about it. A bunch more I don't want back.

Danny955i

I miss my 2000 GS500E, it was my first "real" bike... and the first time I could cut my teeth on modifying a motorcycle.... started as a stock bike... ended up going with Vance and Hines, KnN, Jet Kit, GS500F headlight, vortex sprockets, super-bike bars, chopped rear fender, and upgraded brakes... this thing was awesome... sold it out-right for the cash to buy the Tiger.

First bike I learned to wheelie on... first bike I learned to do a burnout on... I miss it dearly.

nickjtc

Hmmmm, I would not be unhappy to have any of the bikes I have owned. These would be near the top of the list, though:

My first bike, a '72 Honda 175. Did everything on that bike, including camping trips with my friend, him on his CB250.
My first 'big' bike, and the first one I got when I came to Canada, a '77 Suzuki GS750. Sold it in '80, got it back this year.
'79 Yamaha XT500. Had one in '80 and another in '07.
'71 Norton Commando.
'10 Thruxton. Both of the last two sold to fund the down payment on my home.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

The VFR was my 'office' when I was a rider instructor. Put 90,000km under its wheels in the 5 years I owned it; still had the original chain and sprockets thanks to the Scottoiler. I'd have it back in a moment. :icon_salut:
The Yamaha was my 'born again' bike after a lay-off of 15 years or so. Funny how getting married and having kids take priority....... :icon_wink:
The CB650 was my commuter bike when I worked 1000km north of where I lived. Despite being 27 years old when I got it I had three trouble-free years with it. Sadly missed. :icon_sad:

Mossy

The bike I regretted selling the most was a 1981 750 Bonnie we bought brand new in Dec 81. Was my daily rider for most of the 17 years I had it. But one of my mates wanted it and pestered and pestered me to sell it to him until one day, in a moment of weakness, I agreed.
So about 2 years ago I decided he'd had it long enough and started pestering him, until earlier this year I finally wore him down and he agreed to sell it back to me.
It actually came back almost exactly as it left, even had the same tyres that were on it when I sold it to him.
Since getting it back I've fitted new tyres and replaced the Hyde rearsets with the standard footpegs (legs don't seem as bendable as they were 30 years ago). When we bought it we used to tour 2 up all over the place and thought it was perfect, but now if we're going to travel 2 up the missus says its the 955i Tiger or nothing  :icon_smile:

And no its not oil leaks under it, I'd just washed it  :icon_smile:
Cheers Mossy

2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1960 TR6 Trophy Scrambler
1953 Thunderbird Salt Lake Racer
1950 250 Excelsior Talisman Twin
1926 250 Levis

DavidR8

My first "new" bike a Yammy YX600 aka Radian. It was basically a naked FZ600. This isn't my bike but just like mine. I rejetted mine, added K&Ns, pipes, and ported the head. Went like holy heck. Easily kept up with my friends FZ750.

Best memory: doing a dirt track power slide on some fresh asphalt, felt very "Kenny Roberts", even left a nice strip of rubber on the road. And she didn't high side, which I thought was very considerate of her. :-)
2006 Girly, stone stock!

fraserdog

After various RD's etc etc in my youth I hankered for a CB500 Four,well I bought one and have had it now for over 35 years,i also always wanted a Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 and bought one in 1997 and I've still got it with just over 6k dry miles on it,now got the tiger but have a hankering for an Africa Twin aswell so watch this space!
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

blacktiger

Just two for me.
1, 1976 RD350B in silver. My first ever brand new bike. Traded in with 18000 miles and chronic piston slap for a new XS750.

2, 1978 XT500. Probably the best commuting bike ever made. Practically ran it into the ground commuting 20 miles each way for a few years. It did take me to Pisa & the south of France one year. Sold it with 38000 miles on the clock.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

nickjtc

Quote from: blacktiger on January 09, 2014, 05:02:01 PM1978 XT500. Probably the best commuting bike ever made.

I concur. Once you get the knack of how to start the thing it is a real joy to ride. I did a 2000km+ trip over the Rockies on mine, in the course of a long weekend, with no problems at all. Parts and upgrades readily available too....

blacktiger

Quote from: nickjtc on January 09, 2014, 08:13:13 PM
Quote from: blacktiger on January 09, 2014, 05:02:01 PM1978 XT500. Probably the best commuting bike ever made.

I concur. Once you get the knack of how to start the thing it is a real joy to ride. I did a 2000km+ trip over the Rockies on mine, in the course of a long weekend, with no problems at all. Parts and upgrades readily available too....

Yeah, it's one of those things that's easy when you know how. So long as the points and tappets were set right it'd start first kick.
And the same technique I used for that also worked on XR Hondas and a KTM600LC4 that I had years later.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Marc

The photo of my Duc 750S 1972 still breaks my heart  :icon_cry:
As a little consolation.... I still wear my Cromwell in summer

Very light, ultimate steering and sound!  (with BSA pancake air filters  :icon_wink: )
At my age now, stiff suspension and steering position would be a pain (maybe this caused my back injury...?)

Aaah! what a bike!

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

qbto

Only two bike I've regretted selling my ZZR1100D1

And my much modified R1100GS