News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheels again

Started by russ_fae_fyvie, November 12, 2004, 02:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_fae_fyvie

Had my Tiger just over a year now and before last winter I treated the alloy wheels with something to stop the corrosion (an aircraft product) but even with that and liberal doses of WD40, there are hairline cracks appearing at the base of the spokes in the rim. Had a Transalp with the same problems where eventually the wheels had too much corrosion around the spoke/rim and had to be replaced. Seems damn stoopid that mild steel and aluminium alloy are in close contact with a lovely salt water meduim between them to make sure they DO rot ! (I work in the offshore industry and we are always fighting this problem!)

Anyone else had this problem, with this years winter upon us and the salt about to appear again I just wondered what everyone else did, swap wheels ??!! :?:

Brock

My spoked wheels have had a liberal wipe over with Waxoil.

I may be a slut but they won't be cleaned off 'till next spring.

I reckon the combination of Waxoil, plus road grime, plus regular rinses with clean cold water should keep the stuff underneath nice and corrosion-free.

The rest of the bike gets the odd spray with something in a spray can made by Motorex.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

If anyone is seeing cracks in their rims after 1 year, they should take the bike to their dealer to get a warranty replacement.

My bike has done 22000 miles in all conditions and on some rough surfaces. The wheels are still fine. I use Motorex 645 all over the bike. No corrosion. I've just bought some of the Scottoil 365 corrosion inhibitor. I hope it's as good as the Motorex stuff has been.

Brock

Motorex 645. Yep, that's the stuff.

Even my local Triumph dealer swears by it.
Chris

Badger

Do you use the Motorex 645 all over or just on the wheels :?:

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Brock

I don't use it on the wheels 'cos it's a spray. You do NOT want to get it on the brake discs! (Although you could spray it on a rag and wipe it on I suppose). The Motorex goes on the bike, once the discs and calipers are masked with newspaper, then the wheels get a good wipe with Waxoil.

Course...there's a lot of smoke when you start the engine next time as the Motorex gets burnt off the exhaust.
Chris