News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stick coils vs PVL's

Started by NeilD, April 25, 2011, 09:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

have been reading the threads on changing to the 600 Stick Coils... looks like main advantage is price vs new PVL's.. it also does away with the plug leads (and so another potential source of failure  :) )..

any disadvantages to this mod?

GavD

Not that I've found Neil.

You can get all the relevant spade connectors from Maplins. Only other thing needed is a way to 'bulk up' the body of the stick to stop water/crap getting in the spark plug recess. I used some heat shrink tubing - about 3 layers and it was sorted.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

NeilD

ah didnt realise that you'd gone down that route..  8) yep I'm just gathering parts, have got the coils and was looking at what to seal the gap with.. was wondering about a length of rubber seal pushed in there... I'll have a play   :D

CoolHandLuke

I was looking at this the other day at the local bike shop.

The stick coils from the 600 with the rubber sleeves from a 675 should do the job.  The 675 sleeves are thicker and should fill the gap properly.

dave NL

Anyone know why the 675 coils are not working? Or do they work?
Getting the tiger back on the road.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "dave NL"Anyone know why the 675 coils are not working? Or do they work?
The 675 coils are too long.

Jaythro

What about spark plugs Mine has NGK with crimped top caps and the Sticks need bare threads ends

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Jaythro"What about spark plugs Mine has NGK with crimped top caps and the Sticks need bare threads ends
The top caps unscrew :)

Jaythro

Nope they don;t these are pressed ends
Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
Quote from: "Jaythro"What about spark plugs Mine has NGK with crimped top caps and the Sticks need bare threads ends

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Jaythro"Nope they don;t these are pressed ends
Get some different plugs :)

CoolHandLuke

I have an NGK DPR8EA9 on my desk and it has a screw thread on the top.  This works fine on my 1993 Tiger.  Do you have standard HT leads?

Jaythro

Hmm Swizzed I think

My local motor factor has given me different plugs than I asked for !

I have DR8EB in my tool box Ooops Thanks Luke you made me recheck just then!

I have an NGK DPR8EA9 on my desk and it has a screw thread on the top.  This works fine on my 1993 Tiger.  Do you have standard HT leads?

MIMbox

These are what I have. They are from a pre 2000/2001 TT600. IIRC the later ones are different

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "MIMbox"These are what I have. They are from a pre 2000/2001 TT600. IIRC the later ones are different
Aye, those are the ones my LBS recommended.  Grab the rubber boot seals from a 675 or Tiger and you should be good to go.

NeilD

started this mod this afternoon.. couldnt wire it up as waiting on the postman to bring me some cable and connectors..  :roll:

coil in the foreground of this pic shows the gap, the one in number 2 posn (sadly the depth of field focussing on my camera isnt up to much  :D ) has been fitted with what I hope is a solution to the problem

P1010999 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

dont know how robust these are (hopefully they wont catch fire!  :shock: ) but I've used some rubber ferrules/feet from a zimmer frame/walking stick  :D

P1020002 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

had to open up the closed end of the feet (stanley knife followed by dremmel), a squirt of WD40 on the body of the coil and the rubber piece slid right on...

currently (!) thinking that I will combine these cables into a 6-way connector then feed out to each coil from the lefthand side..

P1020003 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

I've bought (expensive) connectors for the top of each coil stick so I can unplug them individually if need to be removed..
or would it be better to have individual connectors on the feed wires so that I dont have to disturb the coil  connections for removal.. ? thourghts anyone?