News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RIP Tigger1.... Hello Tigger2

Started by ChrisN, November 15, 2004, 02:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

About three weeks ago now, I hit a patch of mud on a quiet country lane whilst coming over a rise on a gentle right-hander. Following a 2 second struggle I ran out of tarmac and attempted some high speed scrambling before hitting a dry-stone wall! The front and left-hand side of the bike were very badly damaged but I didnÌt care as I was elated to walk away without a scratch. What really put the top hat on it was, on the way home, the recovery vehicle took a sharp left-hander and the bike crashed over onto its right side and almost left the lorry! Even so, I was a little surprised when the insurance company pronounced my tiger dead. Having covered 10k miles on her in a fairly short space of time I felt I knew her well and had full confidence in going anywhere.

So sadly it was ÏRIP Tigger1Ó and what to do next? First job was to hurry down to the scrap yard to remove the race can, scottoiler, autocom, Givi box plate, GPS mount, and headlight relays before the vultures arrived. With that done, a replacement bike was needed to fill the vacuum. I am a big fan of the 04 with spokes and black frame but searching most of the UK dealers confirmed a new one in silver or black was not available. Maybe an opportunity to try a completely different bike ? No thanks, IÌll stay faithful to Triumph, and so briefly looked at used 04 tigers but the prices seemed high Ò isnÌt that always the case when youÌre buying, but not when selling! And so I began coming to terms with the new silver framed 05 tiger that IÌd spent 6 months slagging-off in favour of the 04.

New love blossomed when I first saw her in British Racing Green freshly delivered into my local dealership. For not much more than the price of a used one a deal was struck and Tigger2 was mine. With the new bike having the advantage of no unknown history, a full warranty, roadside recovery, panniers, fresh tyres etc etc, I felt comfortable IÌd made the right choice. Any remaining self-doubt in my decision was squashed the very next day when I trekked around the NEC bike show to view the whole of the opposition assembled in one room. Whilst some may be prettier, none fulfil my needs like the Tiger.

Bonding has now begun and itÌs way too early to say much more, but IÌm looking forward to developing an informed opinion of the 05 compared to the 04, which IÌll post in due course. I just hope and pray Tigger2 lives up to her predecessor and my full confidence is restored; only time will tell.
Chris

Badger

Congrats on the new bike Chris. Glad to see you stayed loyal to the breed.  :D

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Brock

Yeah...well done mate.

The opposition? Fukkum.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

NortonCharlie

What do you think of the difference in the steering geometry?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

ChrisN

My Tigger2 pics and link are now posted in the gallery.

Also for those complaining about the small images of tigers on Triumph's UK site, check out this link to Triumph Australia http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com.au/me ... r2004.html

There are couple of 3000x2700 hi res tiger photos for all you Lucifer Orange fans!!
Chris