News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2009 BMW G 650 GS

Started by EvilBetty, May 18, 2011, 11:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Patty's ready for a new bike.  She's had her Buell Blast for a couple years now and she's just ready for a change.

She test rode one last fall at the local dealer and fell in love with it.  She's been watching craigslist for one and this week found one for $5600 (talked him down from $6000).

I have a couple concerns:

Firstly it has 18,000 miles.  Looking around this seems high mileage for a G 650 GS.  That's got to play into the price.

I remember in February / March dealers with 2009 overstock selling them for $6100-6800 brand new with warranty and free accessories.  That's got to play into the price.

With 18000 miles on it, I'm now more concerned with common part failures.  I've created at account on the F650 boards, but the admins haven't activated me yet.

You guys have any info?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I remember in February / March dealers with 2009 overstock selling them for $6100-6800 brand new with warranty and free accessories.  That's got to play into the price.

this is what I would be looking for ...........brand spankin new is oh so nice !

Timbox2

Jeez, you get em cheap over there, Ive just had a look at similar bikes in the UK, you'd have to stump up around £5000 for that over here, maybe £4500 because of the mileage, but that still equates to well over $7000, good ol Rip Off Britain again.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

If this is the single cylinder I had one!

I bought it new and mine was very reliable, great fun to ride (I thought a big single with only 50 bhp I'd only potter about on it, but being light and agile, I found it made me MORE of a hooligan :roll: ) no fuel injection issues and best of all, it would do 65 mpg even after wringing it out everywhere.  Ridden sensibly, it would do 75 mpg easily.

Downside, the spoke nuts corroded way more than you'd expect (why not make them from stainless FFS?) the silver paint on the fork bottoms and yokes blistered and flaked off (a known BMW issue on several models that BMW still won't own up to) and worst of all it needed new head bearings after only 6000 miles.  Consensus is that because the oil reservoir (it's dry sump) is in the frame tube, the tube gets hot and melts the grease in the head bearings causing them to fail early.

It has some quirks, the fuel tank is under the seat which is good for handling and low C of G, the "tank" is actually the air filter and battery.

Would I have another one though?  Definitely!!!

If, on the other hand, you mean the twin aka the 800, this is no use whatsoever.... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JetdocX

I had the rotax-powered version of this bike.  18,000 miles is not even broken in yet.  I sold mine for $500 less than I bought it with almost 60,000 miles on it.  And I just heard from the guy who bought it: 80,000 miles and still running like a champ.  Forget about the mileage, that's not an issue.

OTOH, the G bike's engine is a copy of the rotax except it is assembled in China.  This has everything to do with the price IMO.  I'm a long-time jackass over there on f650.com, but I've not noticed any real problems mentioned on the board.

Good luck.
From parts unknown.

EvilBetty

Yup... Chinese thumper...  Thanks guys!

Yankee Dog

I have a 2005 that has been rode hard and put away wet. It has 30,000 miles and never misses a beat. It does not have all the high tech doodads that give the higher priced Beemers such problems. Nice reliable chain drive.

Yankee Dog

EvilBetty

Yankee Dog

Nice bike. Looks like mine, only yours doesnt have any dents.  :D

Yankee Dog