News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i or 800xc ?

Started by bwvtom, June 02, 2011, 02:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwvtom

Hi every one.
Just a few questions for the new beaker owners.

I have a much loved 2001 955i (100,000kms & going strong) which I do ride off the beaten track, (ADV rider) and have modified accordingly for Australian conditions. (crash bars, sump protection, raised front mud guard, tool cylinder, gps, lamb's wool seat cover jerry can racks)

Questions: How do the 800xc's compare to the 955i's power wise, (most of the time I'm solo but do carry camping gear & supplies out bush.

Sometimes the Mrs comes as well, (we've never been short of power).

One big bug I have with the 955i is it's such a pain to service the air filter, something which in OZ has to be done on tour on longer trips. :shock:
How easy is it to access the air filter on the beakers?

Are the 800xc's a big step forward from the 955i as it's not cheap, but sooner or later the old tiger will need some engine work/ rebuild which will not be financially viable.
Any thoughts?
Cheers from  Adelaide South Australia
B-burl

Bixxer Bob

Can't answer your question, but love the pic.  Uk bike paper MCN said 2 weeks ago that you'd be mad to take a 955i off road.  I might just copy your pic and send it to them... :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akey

I have test ridden both beakers, and they were great bikes.  I much prefered the XC it felt the far better bike of the 2.

However the one down side to the beaker was it just didnt have the punch that my 955i has from low down, it picked up OK if you kept it well about 5k but its nothing like the power delivery of the 955.

My personal conclusion was that I wouldnt buy one, I have yet to test ride a roadie to see if I like it (I dont really do any off roading, maybe a light dirt track but thats all).

Guess I am just another one of the thousands hoping that triumph bring out a 1200 tiger to replace the 1050 next year!!!!!!!!!!!!

bwvtom

Hi all.

The local dealer has now got an xc for test riding so will do that in the near future.

I guess the burning question for me is whether the xc is a large improvement over the 955i as I'm pretty happy with the 955i, It's taken me to hell and back more than once. :twisted:

And for me the xc is not cheap, all the accessories are sold as extras, so by the time you've kitted it out there's not much change out of $20,000 Aus. :shock: Also some of the Triumph accessories, (like the bash plate0 are no where near strong enough for our conditions and the weight of the bike. So would look for aftermarket or build myself.

For that money there's a lot of other machinery that becomes attractive, (KTM).?
Though usually, I end up carrying all the broken orange bits back on the Tiger.  It's a strong bike. :wink:

Distances here are also an issue so the 24L fuel capacity on the 955i is good, rarely need the Jerry cans and only put them on for the longest trips.

The longest I've had to do between fuel stops is 650kms so far, out in the desert and only through choice.

Cheers B-burl
B-burl

JetdocX

Dude, if you go orange, fuel range will be your major bitch.  Next in line will be all the crap you have to disassemble to do a fookin' oil change.  Next down the line will be the snatchy low end.  I've ridden all three of the bikes you've mentioned.  Of course, the Girly did nothing for me and you're a serious star for taking that thing out into the dirt.
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

I envy you all that space...

bwvtom

Yes, I know the orange come with their own issues, but so does every bike in some shape or form.

Most of the issues with all my bikes are siting about two foot back from the handle bars!?!
Here's a pic of my mate with some issues, (a high speed get off).  We were out from Cameron's Corner a long way from anywhere on some old mining survey tracks.  
Luckily he was ok and the bike whilst damaged with some bush mechanic work was restored to rideable condition and we limped home some 1500kms.
When we're out this far it can be a two to three day wait for an ambulance lift so it's not a good place to hurt yourself or the bike, (long walk).

Thats when all that space gets daunting, thats the hills of Arkaroola on the horizon in he previous pic.

Cheers
B-burl
B-burl

jphish

BwvTom - I have an 06 Girly & XC. Just got 450 mi on XC - so not extensive experience yet. Know more next week after trip to desert. While obviously both are Triumphs & tripples, they are different. The Girly feels more 'planted' (it's my favorite bike of all time BTW - but will try to keep bias in check) could be the larger front tire and ergos - but the XC is pretty comfy & stable. Does seem to have a different torque curve - more linear. But again - havent taken it over 6K rpm yet either - after oil change will test performance. The XC does seem to mask its weight - seems lighter than it's poundage - tho not actually much lighter than Girly. As for 2 up - i think the XC could do it, but Girly maybe more suited to task. Contrary to the M/C gurus - the Girly on dirt roads, (some of them pretty primitive) with right tires, (Tyres) actually is quite capable. But you obviously already know that. I got the XC for more dirt oriented trips (more than 50%) but Girly is still my long distance adventure / fishing / camping machine. It's a mule! The XC, I think, will prove to be a very capable 'outback' machine. Will report back after desert trip for comparo. As your 01 Girly ages - you might consider a later model 06 with low miles as alternative to XC. I got my 06 in 09 with 3K mi on it & under $6K USD. Just a thought. I have NOT found the cast wheels to present any sort of issues for the terrain I travel. TKCs work fine - I don't air down to anything less than 28 lbs tho. More later. j

jphish

I should have said "Girly is my favorite TRIUMPH of all time". Had an 08' Buell Uly that I really liked too. I maybe an "outlier' on that - but both Girlies & Uly's are the most under rated Machines out there. Much more capable than people think.

Yankee Dog

Why not keep the 955 for a while longer and at the same time keep your eye open for a nice used XC. Sooner or later one will come along.

Yankee Dog

bwvtom

Quote from: "jphish"BwvTom - I have an 06 Girly & XC. Just got 450 mi on XC - so not extensive experience yet. Know more next week after trip to desert. While obviously both are Triumphs & tripples, they are different. The Girly feels more 'planted' (it's my favorite bike of all time BTW - but will try to keep bias in check) could be the larger front tire and ergos - but the XC is pretty comfy & stable. Does seem to have a different torque curve - more linear. But again - havent taken it over 6K rpm yet either - after oil change will test performance. The XC does seem to mask its weight - seems lighter than it's poundage - tho not actually much lighter than Girly. As for 2 up - i think the XC could do it, but Girly maybe more suited to task. Contrary to the M/C gurus - the Girly on dirt roads, (some of them pretty primitive) with right tires, (Tyres) actually is quite capable. But you obviously already know that. I got the XC for more dirt oriented trips (more than 50%) but Girly is still my long distance adventure / fishing / camping machine. It's a mule! The XC, I think, will prove to be a very capable 'outback' machine. Will report back after desert trip for comparo. As your 01 Girly ages - you might consider a later model 06 with low miles as alternative to XC. I got my 06 in 09 with 3K mi on it & under $6K USD. Just a thought. I have NOT found the cast wheels to present any sort of issues for the terrain I travel. TKCs work fine - I don't air down to anything less than 28 lbs tho. More later. j

Hi Jpish.
Would be very interested on your verdict after a trip, part of the reason for trading to the xc is that I also punt around a DRZ 400E on the rougher stuff and as I'm now aging, (gracefully of course) I was thinking of swapping both the DRZ & the 955i for the XC which may do a bit of both at a pinch.
Though I understand the xc is no trail bike with a more centralized centre of gravity it may be more capable than the 955i when the going gets tough???  :idea: Well maybe, and still be up to the long haul work.

As for tyres I've run them at 25psi front and 28psi rear in the soft stuff though I've given up on TKC's for the rear they just dont do the kms and I don't rekon they give much advantage over the tourance except i muddy conditions. But Tigers and mud don't mix anyway, I just stop & camp till the road driesout if I have to.
Cheers B-burl
B-burl

bwvtom

Quote from: "Yankee Dog"Why not keep the 955 for a while longer and at the same time keep your eye open for a nice used XC. Sooner or later one will come along.

Yankee Dog

Hi yankee Dog.

Yep absolutely, would do that anyway, I did that with the 955i, it had 2000kms and 18 months warrantee on it all the panniers, c/stand etc. for 13K.  The new price at the time was 15K plus on roads and no accessories, it was a no brainer for me.
I want to be sure if I sell the 955i as it's a great bike for what I do, and if I want to be really silly I use my DRZ400E.
Cheers B-burl
B-burl

jphish

B-Burl - I understand the aging thing. When I hit 62 I sold dirt bike & gave up the hardcore off road / single track stuff. I could still do it - but just don't heal as fast anymore & wanted to save whats left of me, for the less grueling dirt road adventures. I like to fish too - so must save flyrod arm for piscatorial pleasures. My initial impression is yes - the XC is more capable for the off pavement rides. If nothing else my XC has more protection from damage. (no skid plate on Girly) And it does 'feel' lighter than Girly - but I think its only about 50 Lbs difference.  I'm trying the heidenau k60s for upcomming trip - 4K mi on a TKC just isnt enough for many of my rides & on this trip - 2000 mi of pavement (round trip) before we even get to dirt portion. At this juncture - If I could only have one bike - it would probably be the XC. I only weigh 170 lbs, and dont do 2 up. My wife rides - (just sold her ST1300) but will take Girly tiger on our trips. Shes 5'10" & 33" inseam - can almost 'flat foot' Tiger - something I CANT do. Anyway - will report out after trip for verdict. The XC I'm sure is more capable than this rider. So any limitations will be all mine.  Cheers, j

JTT

Quote from: "bwvtom"I have a much loved 2001 955i (100,000kms & going strong) which I do ride off the beaten track, (ADV rider) and have modified accordingly for Australian conditions. (crash bars, sump protection, raised front mud guard, tool cylinder, gps, lamb's wool seat cover jerry can racks)

Forgive me a temporary hijack of this thread, but Tom, where did you mount your tool tube?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

bwvtom

Hi JTT.

Sorry for the slow reply JTT, have been out of town for a while.

I've just done the old fashioned PVC pipe holder with a few brackets & rubber mounting it under the left hand side foot pillion peg frame tubes.

Doesn't hold too much but enough for the heavier tools, tyre levers, 8" shifter, chain breaker, spare chain links etc.

See pic attached.

Cheers Bburl
B-burl