News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Changing your tires on the road

Started by topher0268, May 26, 2011, 05:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topher0268

I've always changed my own tires in my basement shop with one of those HF manual changers. I recently attempted to put a new rear tire on my Girly and even after heating the rubber and lubing it up I couldn't get the thing on. Ended up scratching my rim through my protectors AND ...... snapping my tire changer stop in half. I ended up taking it to a local shop with a pneumatic changer  :x

Anyway, I've always carried tire irons but now I'm pretty sure that there's no way in HELL I'm going to be able to manually change that bad boy out in the wild .... so my question is ...

How are you all handling this dilemma??????? Am I missing some super special secret??????   :icon_scratch
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Mustang

oh wait ............you have a tube ,your screwed ! :ImaPoser

topher0268

Quote from: "Mustang"

oh wait ............you have a tube ,your screwed ! :ImaPoser

..... and roadside assistance  :qgaraduate
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

D-Fuzz

The key to levering on the tire is make sure you take the core out of the valve stem before you start, so any air can be expelled as you put it on.  You also need to make sure that the tire stays down in the centre of the rim versus on the bead, so there is room for the tire to stretch.  Once you get onto it, they go on lickity-split.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

jwray76

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"The key to levering on the tire is make sure you take the core out of the valve stem before you start, so any air can be expelled as you put it on.  You also need to make sure that the tire stays down in the centre of the rim versus on the bead, so there is room for the tire to stretch.  Once you get onto it, they go on lickity-split.

I am not quite to lickity-split yet, but mine have all gone on.

pizzaman383

I had a flat the first week I got my Tiger; a roofing nail on my driveway went through.  Two weeks later, on my first three-day ride I caught a nail and had a flat when riding the Cherohala Skyway.

I learned the tricks on the advrider board in a thread by Neduro on changing tires.  I have since changed my tires using tire irons at home three or four additional times.

There were a few tricks I picked up.  First, I broke the bead by using the leg of a picnic table.  Second, the key to using tire irons is to make sure the bead on the side opposite to where you have the tire iron is down in the channel in the middle of the rim; this gives enough slack for the bead to move over the edge of the rim.  Third, I used shampoo on the bead to help it seat; it took 60-70 pounds to set it then I dropped it back to proper pressure.  Fourth, if you have a little air in the tube then it will not easily get pinched.  

I use dynabeads in my tubes so that I don't have to balance the tires.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

KuzzinKenny

Anyone tried this trick  :?

:shock:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

jwray76

pretty interesting Kenny. That is a harder Shinko tire too. Probably works better on wider sports bike rim than the Tiger however.

MtheTiger

....the stuff you poke in the hole looks a bit like bacon ... it's good for everything I guess..... 8) [/quote]
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue