News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oradour Sur Glane

Started by Spud, June 12, 2011, 06:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Oradour Sur Glane

During my little French trip a couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure/displeasure of visiting the above village destroyed during the war by the SS.

cheers Spud  :cry:

Bixxer Bob

Very moving Spud, what was the reason?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Blimey, makes you think dont it. :(
2016 Tiger Sport

Spud

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Very moving Spud, what was the reason?

I was in the area and thought it would be good to pay my respects, I also did some thinking about 6 mates I lost in the Falklands. I must admit I felt a little sick when I left, especially as one of the kids on a photo looked a lot like one of my nippers. cheers Spud  :cry:

Bixxer Bob

Nah, I meant why did the SS do what they did?  Never mind, BruKen did it for ya :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Nah, I meant why did the SS do what they did?  Never mind, BruKen did it for ya :wink:

My understanding is that a group of german soldiers were kill by the French some days before, the Germans then looted and burned the village in repriasal.

It was the wrong village, but that did not matter as they rounded up some locals from another village and killed those's as well.

Oradour was a very well off village, it had it's own tram system and lots of coffee shops.

It is worth a visit if your in the area, cheers Spud  :cry:

John Stenhouse

The oddest thing about Oradour was the tram, they stopped the tram on the way into the village kept everyone on board but never touched them.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Having read some of BruKen's link, it seems the SS High Command were horrified at what Deikmann had done and ordered the killing be stopped hence anyone that survived into early evening was let alone.

John Stenhouse

Eerie place to go, it has real presence, I defy anyone not to be moved.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting