News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1050i Tiger for '06?

Started by OilSlik, November 30, 2004, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OilSlik

Another new guy here...just have to say that this is an amazing site and have been perusing it for quite some time. Want to thank BigDave for his time and effort on this site.

I've been dreaming of owning an adventure-touring bike for 4+ years now (previous Katana 600 owner). Admittedly, the GS has been in most of those dreams...only because of lack of knowledge about the Tiger. But the more I read, the more enamored I am with the 955i...now, it's the one keeping me up at nights. The dealer 3 miles down the road just received a BRG '05...still in the crate. Winter is upon us in Northern Michigan now, so I don't think he'll be able to move it until spring...that's when I'll POUNCE...and get it for a repsectable price, I hope, as he's ordering the new '06's.

...speaking of '06's...did anyone else reading the DEC'04 CW article on the Tiger get the impression that there would be a 1050i Tiger in the near future...and could it be as soon as '06? Without a doubt, I'm in love with the Tiger and I haven't even ridden it yet...can't wait until spring. But just one thing...what's with those funky, cheap looking front shock boots? :? ...is anyone else bothered by them?...no other bikes as of late seem to have them or need them. Is there a history behind them...just curious about the design is all...it's still not enough to keep me from buying that cat!!

see ya on the roads,

OilSlik
Rode hard...put away wet!!

ChrisN

Welcome onboard OilSlik.

Now's the time to pounce on that 05 BRG. Don't wait till spring otherwise you might find yourself in an auction due to demand. Make that dream a reality...NOW! If the GS was in your sights, it's not like you can't afford it. Get haggling with your dealer.

As for 06's, I've yet to hear anything other than rumours. But like most things in life, there'll always be something better just around the corner if you can make yourself wait that long. Remember the PC's we all bought that were out of date before you got them home and out of the box!

Can you tell I just got myself an 05 BRG ? I had all the same thoughts but lifes for living NOW!

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Chris

abell

I bought a 2005 in BRG last week.

One thing you will not be thinking when you ride the Tiger is "I wish it had another 100cc and a few pounds of additional torque". The bike has more than adequate stick and it is such a well-sorted street and touring machine.

Maybe it will get the 1050 lump in 2006, maybe not. I would imagine that would occur as part of a more substantial facelift as seen on the S3 and ST for 05. Who knows what that would comprise, but I'll be thousands and thousands of miles into mine by then.

Adam

05 Tiger

01 Daytona
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

OilSlik

Thanks for the welome...

The problem with getting that BRG '05 now, ChrisN, is that it will only sit in my garage for 5 months...5 lonely, dark, and cold months...only to be kept company by lakes of frozen drool collecting on the garage floor.

I don't see a big bidding war for this bike at springtime...I could be wrong...but looking at their inventory, they have several left over '02's, '03's (not Tigers...speed triples and daytonas) that they were trying to get me to bite on. I don't think they move a lot of Triupmhs here...mostly Harley's and the ususal Japanese 4. If I lose it...I lose it...and just have to settle getting an '06 instead...tough deal. :lol: But then again, I've always been known to impulse buy.

How true about bigger and "better" things always coming along. I must say that I truly like the changes and evolutions the Tiger has gone through to what it has become today. And today's Tiger is extremely gorgeous!...Probably right about the small difference between a 955i and 1050i.

Congrats on both of your new Tigers, abell & ChrisN. I am, of course, extremely jealous...until spring!

OilSlik
Rode hard...put away wet!!

newmanr19

Quote from: "OilSlik"what's with those funky, cheap looking front shock boots? :? ...is anyone else bothered by them?...no other bikes as of late seem to have them or need them. Is there a history behind them...just curious about the design is all...it's still not enough to keep me from buying that cat!!

see ya on the roads,

OilSlik

they kind of remind me of everyones favorite granny with the knee-high stockings that droop down to her ankles.. those boots are more about function then form that's for sure; they'll keep the mud and nasty water off your forks and out of your fork seals but I agree that they sure arn't pretty (and probably not all that necessary)

they would be easy enough to replace with stouter MX style boots (and you can get em in many colors too); I just have been too lazy to pull my forks off; maybe in a few more k miles I will..

abell

>The problem with getting that BRG '05 now, ChrisN,

>is that it will only sit in my garage for 5 months

I see that as a chance to have the bike, get it the way I want it, get to know it, and well before Spring have a 2005 motorcycle that is ready to rock. But our Winters in New England can be shorter and less prohibitive than you imagine if we are lucky.

I wouldn't compare leftovers across the model range, Daytonas and Speed Triples are higher-volume bikes and you will always see more of them on the floor at leftover prices. The Tiger is probably as niche and low-volume as Triumph bikes get here in North America.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

greg

I'd buy it now. I have had a hankering for a Tiger for years, but was only convinced by the 955i. I rode a Thunderace previously which has substantially more power, but I'll tell you this, not once since since buying the Tiger have I felt the need for more power. Though I am going to change the can and get a remap just for a better sound. And I suppose I'll have to use the extra oomph too. Sigh.
2004 Girly.

abell

I don't have a problem with the stock can's sound, but I understand the off-road can and corresponding tune open things up nicely and will probably have to "invest" in one.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

robbo

Does the off road can make a real difference.? Its not to pricey but I am happy enough with the noise. I would change if I thought there was a performance boost. I changed the front sprocket during the summer and it really improved the acceleration but I changed it back after a few long runs because it made the bike very buzzie at cruising speeds. The rpm went from about 4500rpm to 5000rpm for 70mph, doesnÃŒt sound like much but after a couple of hundred miles you start to notice it.

having said that I still may change back come the summer because it was huge fun in the twisties.
best Regards

Robbo

abell

I am told the can makes a worthwhile difference, opening the engine up nicely. I'd combine the upgrade with a K&N filter and the appropriate tune.

It certainly transformed my Daytona. I see no reason why it would not have similar impact on the Tiger's 955.

Adam
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

robbo

maybe I will treat myself for xmas... :D
best Regards

Robbo

Chris Canning

Sold my Triumph race can to Brock,nothing the matter with it just wanted something different,fitted a Remus can and K+N a marked difference not sure if it was the can,filter,or a combo of both,but is was certainley able to pull the extra tooth on the engine sprocket easier.

Chris