News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Long term report on Avon Azarro/Storm Ultra combo

Started by tazshido, July 17, 2011, 08:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

After 15 months on the bike and just shy of 10,000 miles, here's what I have found and can report on the Azarro/Storm combo.
   After destroying what little was left of the Distanzias bringing the bike 1300 miles from Southern Cali to Wyoming I replaced them with the Azarro/Storm Ultra combo balanced with Dyna-beads. When new they were smooth, qiuet and grippy. The tires stayed tractable and confidence inspiring up till the rear started getting really squared off at about 8000 miles. Wyoming/Colorado has a lot of good twisty roads but you have to take a lot of mind numbingly strait routes to get there, so a lot of superslab riding. I also commute on my Tiger so even more strait line riding.
   The tires are still really grippy at 10,000 miles but the squared off rear makes transitioning in the twisties a cardio work-out. They still feel planted in the worst wet conditions. Even over tar strips and pavement markings. They tend to slip out a bit running over tar snakes at over 100 degrees, but what tire won't? The wet traction is such that it is a chore to break the rear loose burn-out style. The Storm Ultra will almost overpower the front brakes even trying it in the rain. I could probably get 2-3 more thousand out of these tires, but I hate the feeling the the squared rear is giving me. I will be ordering new tires this week and I will be ordering the exact same tires. I'm planning on keeping the old ones as emergency spares because there is no M/C shop within 100 miles of where I now live.
   If you are looking for a great performing Sport touring set, that works fantastic in the rain, has decent tread wear and is absolutely confidence inspiring, get a set. I give them a 9.5 out of 10 only because I'd like to get 15,000 miles out of a set of tires. Alas, Metzler Marathons do not come in Tigger sizes.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis