News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Simple Airbox modification

Started by harre, May 25, 2016, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

I have made a simple airbox modification för the Steamer. It involves cutting the left "leg" of the airbox so it can be taken out to the right side without removal of the tank or carbs. See attached pdf.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

London_Phil

Cool solution.
Not quite clear to me how the cut part stays attached to the foam and retains its integrity from the mechanical point of view.?

Beernard

Nice work. More than one way to skin a cat, they say.
Ripper, woke up again.

ghulst

Quote from: London_Phil on May 25, 2016, 10:59:39 PM
Cool solution.
Not quite clear to me how the cut part stays attached to the foam and retains its integrity from the mechanical point of view.?
That was my thought as well.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

P3aK

Quote from: ghulst on May 26, 2016, 06:50:50 PM
That was my thought as well.

+1
How does it stay there?  There's nothing to hold it in place?
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

GavD

Just a thought, but seeing as how one of the snorkels is capped on a Tiger anyway, couldn't you just cut that bit off and glue a blanking plate over the hole, then you could bin the chamber on the side of the battery altogether.

Do you reckon that would work, or does the chamber have some other magical function?
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

ghulst

I'm not sure, but on an old Yamaha I had, the volume of the chamber was decisive. Any changes and it ran like an old lady. I am interested to see how that works out with this mod.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Mustang

that extra space on the right side helps feed #3 with enough air even with the cap on it .
IIRC it starves for air on #3 without the extra volume.

harre

Quote from: London_Phil on May 25, 2016, 10:59:39 PM
Cool solution.

I can see that many of you think this is not holding up, but the foam is glued to the short piece and then this piece is pressed by the help of the retainer screws (I actually only use the screw closest to the engine because u need to remove the battery to loosen the second screw). The pressure is enough to keep it in place. Surely its possible ot reinforce the connection with silver-tape or some bracket.