News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

White Goo in the Water Pump

Started by HiYo Silver, June 27, 2024, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiYo Silver

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i.  52K miles.

While chasing down a leak in the coolant system (steady dripping from the bottom of the water pump), when I removed the water pump and took off the cover, this white goo was in the pump.  Not all through the pump, just the cover (see attached photo).  The goo is soft, not hard and flakey, easily removed. 

But I'm wondering if the white goo is oil coming through to the water pump because of bad seals?  If so, should I replace the water pump?  Or just replace the rubber O-rings? 

It's the first time I've had the water pump apart.  Before this new leak, I replaced the thermostat because it was overheating;  testing the thermostat in a pan of water showed it was bad.  Replaced, flushed the coolant, and put it all back together.  It started, made three short runs on it, and now the drips started.

Heck, this is the first time I've worked on my bike myself.  ;)

London_Phil

Maybe someone already tried a leak stop additive, or antifreeze mixed?

HiYo Silver

I'm thinking it might be an additive, or the flushing agent I used when I drained the coolant three weeks ago.  When I look at videos of oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil, it all looks pretty brown and milky; not bright white like this residue is.   I think I will clean it up and proceed with the gasket replacement and reassembly.  :)

93TigerBill-2016

Hi, Welcome to the world of Triumph ownership - a slippery slope to time evaporation.......

Agree that replacement gaskets would be advised.
Secondly, it looks a bit like corrosion, so ensure that you clean out what's there, and refill with an appropriate (& new) coolant.  I seem to recall that it needs 50/50 mix, higher than other IC engines.

Regards, Bill

'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

HiYo Silver

Thanks!  Gasket installation went well.   Then discovered it was leaking out of the "weep hole", so a new pump is likely.   I'm now a trained Triumph Technician!  ;)