News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thinking of Girlies

Started by OHjim, July 28, 2011, 06:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHjim

Hello all - new guy here.  

I joined to look for info on Girlies and to ask some questions. I recently went from a 650 V-Strom to an ST1300. I find that I liked the lighter weight of the Strom over the ST. Also, the heat is a problem on the ST for me.

I'm selling the ST now and leaning toward a Tiger. Any suggestions on what to look for? Any years better than others? What should I expect maintenance-wise compared to Suzuki and Honda? I am in Kansas City and ride year-round (unless there's snow or ice) so I am curious about charging system capacities because I will be running heated grips and gear. Is there any info on that?

Anyone in KC that I could come by and look one over?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Tigertriple

Hi, welcome aboard. I'm sure that you'll get plenty of feedback on your post.

I have owned a considerable number of bikes and quite recently 2 ST1300's which were both excellent bikes and hard to fault. I now have a 2006 955 Tiger which in my opinion is a more enjoyable bike to ride. I have owned the Tiger for just over a year and have never had such a great all rounder.

Compared to the ST the Tiger is not as smooth being a chain drive but apart from that it ticks all the boxes for me. It is much easier  to handle and also maintenance is easy to carry out on a DIY basis. The thing I like best about the Tiger is how versatile it is. The ST is un arguably a fine tourer but when it comes to just the day to day commute or a weekend ride out the Tiger wins every time. The Tiger is also a very capable tourer and more versatile with the luggage options that can be fitted. I have a full set of Givi Trekker luggage on mine. Heated grips come as standard on the latter UK spec bikes, I'm not so sure of the US spec, however I'm sure someone will put you right on the spec.

A couple of things to consider with the Tiger is the high seat height and less weather protection than the ST. If you buy a Tiger I would recommend investing in a Palmers screen kit and as most others will say a set of engine bars.

The best idea would be to have a ride on a Tiger and see if it's for you. I hope this info helps and good luck with your search.  :D
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

NKL

Not sure the charging system is up to heated clothing, mine struggles to run heated grips and fog lights, although I do have both headlights on.
But for road use the later the better, IMO the 06 with the 1050 crankcases is the best one.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

Quote from: "NKL"Not sure the charging system is up to heated clothing, mine struggles to run heated grips and fog lights, although I do have both headlights on.
But for road use the later the better, IMO the 06 with the 1050 crankcases is the best one.

Ive run a Gerbing Heated Jacket through the winter, with Grips on and Both Headlights and it seemed OK, I dont have any other lights though.
2016 Tiger Sport

blacktiger

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "NKL"Not sure the charging system is up to heated clothing, mine struggles to run heated grips and fog lights, although I do have both headlights on.

Ive run a Gerbing Heated Jacket through the winter, with Grips on and Both Headlights and it seemed OK, I dont have any other lights though.

Me too.
NKL it must be your extra lights that are draining the system.

As for which one is best. They're all good but I like my '02 over the later models because it rides so comfortably. The suspension and damping rates seem to give a better ride quality than the later ones which were aimed more at the road rider.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.