News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Management Light Wont Go Off

Started by Robmac, December 05, 2004, 12:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmac

Went out for a ride the other day, but found the following morning there was no throttle resistance - the cable had snapped - how weird is that to have not done it whilst out?! Thanks guardian angel...

To cut a long story short, (as in how to get a broken plastic fuel connector out of the tank side plate) got a new cable, took off the tank after disconnecting everything, put new cable on, reconnected, fired it up and whilst it runs ok the engine managment warning light remains on all the time. To get the tank off the battery needs to be removed, can this require some sort of system reset?

I've checked all the wiring connnectors are back together as they should be, althoughh I've noticed there is a 3 terminal spare one ( I hope) that comes off a spur in the loom that runs across the gearbox casing, and another 2 terminal spare on on the RHS frame rail where the tank goes over. Any one any ideas?

Rob

PS my bike is a 2001 955i.

Brock

Rob...I'm pretty sure the 2 spare connectors you mention are supposed to be spare. They're like that 'cos the loom has been used for various models over the years and they haven't changed it as the connectors have become "redundant". Still worth checking with your dealer though?

More important is the plastic fuel connector in the side plate of the tank. Both of these (2) should have been replaced for alloy ones on a recall.

Call at your dealers and get them to bring up your bike up on their computer. It'll probably tell them your bike should be recalled for the connectors to be done. Then you can pick their brains about the warning light. Getting that tank off is an absolute bastard eh?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Robmac

Chris, thanks for the reply, I reckon your right, the connectors look spare.

With regard to the quick relaease connectors, it went in for the recall a couple of months ago, and came out with metal 90deg unions on the ends of the 2 pipes and  plastic female unions in the side tank panel - should these be metal then?

Im off to take it in to the dealers later in the week to sort the EM warning light so will get them to change them if they have only done 1/2 a job.

Rob

Robbie

Robmac

have you gone through 3 heat cycles?

the light will go off after the bike has compleated 3 cycles if the fault is fixed.

If the bike runs as it should then i would just ride it.

the light will go out once the engine has heated up and cooed down.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

BykBoy

My re-charging fuse burnt out and I ran the engine off the battery instead of the alternator. The battery drained and the engine stalled. I had to re-charge the battery using a battery tender and change the fuse. After I  started up the bike, the check engine light went on and stayed on.

Everything seemed to work OK so I started riding the cat. I told my mechanic about this and he said that automotive computers often give out warning signs when electrical problems happen (by design) but they often do not re-set them selves when the problems are resolved. Mechanics have to re-set the computer so the light will go off.  He recommended paying close attention to the bike and seeing if it is behaving normally while riding with extra care. If all seems normal, the above is probably the cause of the light being on and there is no need to bring the bike in.

In my case, it looks like that was the issue. The light was on for my next 3 trips (200 miles each) and then just went out. Since then, I took the big cat in for 12,000 and 18,000 mile service and all is normal. Probalby just like Robbie said.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Robmac

Many thanks for the replies to this problem. I rang my dealer earlier today who said run it through the 3 heat cycles to reset it and I nearly asked if it was April 1st!

Having now seen other comments to this effect I stand most humbled (and wondering whether all this technology really is progress..!)

Rob

Brock

Rob....as far as I'm aware it's only the right-angled hose connectors that are replaced, not the sockets in the side of the plate.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein