News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wiggles at high speed, only with luggage?

Started by Danny955i, July 30, 2011, 05:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

So, going on a trip today, loaded the bags on (all 3) the 01' and took her down the road. Bags are balanced with a jacket in each side and a helmet in the top trunk.

Normally, I flog it down the highway, 90-plus without bags. Well, I get on the highway and lay on it... Soon as I hit 80 the front end starts wobbling a bit, go 100 and you let off too fast and the whole bike shimmys around...

This never happens with the bags off.. Has anyone else experienced this? Must be a wind resistance thing cuz there was only 15lbs of gear in the bags, right?

Timbox2

This is what I had the other week, I was convinced the head bearings were shot, actually I just needed to put more preload on the rear shock.
Triumph have a getout as they say with panniers you shouldnt exceed 80.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Timbox2"This is what I had the other week, I was convinced the head bearings were shot, actually I just needed to put more preload on the rear shock.

Indeed,just a basic lesson in suspension,and if you run it with too much preload,it'll jack the rear up and you have excatly the same experience with the front end shaking it's head,it's called a 'Tank Slapper'

Danny955i

But the panniers are practically empty, you saying its weight or wind? Ive got my preload and damping maxed...

I did check my front tire pressure amd its at 36 pipimg hot off the highway... Im going to wait for it to cool and pump it up to 39ish, tire max is 42, triumph says 36 cold.. We'll see.

Ill try lowering the preload a couple clicks too... And keep it under 80, haha.

Mustang

it's the wind , get in behind an 18 wheeler nice and tight and it's smooth until you pull back out into the wind again , also a new back tire with nice new rounded profile exaggerates the wiggles with boxes above 80 mph

try running down I 81 at 90 mph with panniers doing the 18 wheeler dance of death  :lol:

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Danny955i"Ive got my preload and damping maxed...

Welcome to the world of crap Triumph suspension,just think how you'd get on with fully load panniers and a passenger :roll:

But why do you need panniers,blimey we go away for afortnight on the road and don't need e'm.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Timbox2"This is what I had the other week, I was convinced the head bearings were shot, actually I just needed to put more preload on the rear shock.

Forget that, Ive actually just been and properly checked the headstock bearings and mine are gone, big notch dead centre, I think wacking the preload up did make it feel better, but only disguised the fact, b...cks, more expense :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport