News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stranded, could use some electrical help

Started by zebulonsmith, August 01, 2011, 06:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zebulonsmith

Guys, I'm currently in a bit of a pickle. I've got an 03 that decided to stop charging halfway down the Skyline Drive in Virginia (go there sometime. Earest Triumph shop is 150 miles away. I had problems about a year ago and did the swap with a yamaha regulator, and running straight to the battery and swapped in a rebuilt stator for good measure.

Bike ran great for a year. Yesterday, it stopped change rging ad some investigation I found that the housing for the inline fuse between the regulator and battery was cooked. The fuse Wasn't blown, and but it was melted together.

I wired the regulator straight to the battery and my voltmeter was registering 12 volts at about 4k rpm but the battery wasn't charging. I stopped at Wayne Cycle in Waynesboro va. And the wonderful folks there sold me a new battery. At that point, but I was thinking that my problem was a battery so dead it didn't want to charge.

New battery only got me a few miles before voltage started to drop. I'm thinking that all the heat did in the regulator. Going to overnight one from electrosport in California. I'd like to get a stator also, and just in case. Electrosport doesn't have one, but anybody know of another option? All I found is an outfit in Canada and that might take a while. OEM Triumph part is something unholy like $500. [/code]

zebulonsmith

Also, the sorry about the poor quality post, or I'm doing this on my phone.

Mustang

If you are noy seeing 14 volts at 4k your stator is fubared most likely the regulator is just a device to keep from overcharging the batt.

cdubya

Sorry to hear Zeb.
Thought I read somewhere that one of the Japanese bikes used the same stator.  May be cheaper and more readily available.  You might try a search.  Any one here know of a direct swap? I'll do a little looking around as I'm sitting on me arse wishing I was riding.....
06 Girly

zebulonsmith

I didn't pull the cover, but ended up overnighting the regulator. Not sure if the stator is bad or not but given a couple of 300 mile days in 95+ degree weather, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was. The last two days were completely worth being stranded though. We camped last night in one of the nicest spots I've seen and were greeted at breakfast by the gutsiest black bear I ever met.

Thanks forooking into it. I've been trying to do the same, but but it's tough from my phone.

KuzzinKenny

Have a looky through this.............

955i ALTERNATOR STATOR
plasticrat wrote:
have since found out that a g75 will fit at a fraction of the price of a genuine one saved 75% just had to shorten he wires & put genuine plug on

Thanks for the scoop.  

Some details:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/erol.htm ... oe%3DUTF-8

It appears that 955 Tigers share the same alternator as a Honda VFR-750F, Yamaha JZR600, and Yamaha YX600, (Stator Size 103/42/24mm).

And this... http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Br ... s_140.html
 ... stating that a G75 stator also fits a Kawasaki ZX12R

And this... http://roadstarclinic.com/component/opt ... /id,27179/
 ...saying that a G175 for a Yamaha Road Star is a direct replacement for a G75.

Before all this came to light, I ordered my spare stator from ElectroSport... http://www.electrosport.com/street/stators.php

So... if you're out on the road and your 955i alternator shits the bed, you ought to be able to get your hands on a replacement through a dealer for the following bikes:

Honda VFR750F 1990-98, VFR750FG/FJ/FK, VFR750R-H 1988-93

Yamaha JZR600

Yamaha YX600

1998+ Kawasaki ZX12R

Also, aftermarket charging system parts (with a one-year replacement warranty) are available from Rick's Motorsport Electrics. The website doesn't specifically list Triumph applications, but they do stock them. Give them a call or e-mail... http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

hope ya get it sorted soon !!

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

zebulonsmith

Wow, thanks a ton! I just got the ship notification, new regulator tomorrow. If that doesn't it, I'll limp it to the shop down the road and see what they have in the way of stators.

cdubya

I knew one of these extremely knowledgable gentlemen would have the stator scoop.  Nice work KK and good luck Zeb.
06 Girly

zebulonsmith

Turns out it was the connection between the stator and regulator. Didn't even use the replacement. We're back on the road, thanks everyone. Will post more details when we get home in a few weeks.

Mustang

you gotta love easy fixes on the road  :thumbsup

zebulonsmith

We're hanging out doing laundry after a pleasantly uneventful day on the road. I've got some time to fight with my phone, so I thought that the full story would be nice for anyone following this.

I bought my Girly with about 20k miles on it and at 27 or so, the oem regulator died. I replaced it with a factory regulator and was fine until about 32k. That time the stator was bad, and so was the regulator. I dropped enough to buy a troupe of oompaloompas on another oem regulator and an oem stator. That got me to 40k or so.

I don't remember which broke that time, but I bought a stator from Rick's and a kit with a mosfet regulator and the wiring kit to take it to the battery instead of going into the wiring harness first. I'm thinking that the plug coming off of the stator was bad and a couple of 95 degree days did it in for good. You can see that it's very obviously the plug on the stator side in the attachment. Everything else has been fine though, about 56k and counting on the aftermarket replacements, that's twice as long as the factory bits that cost 500% more.

Major kudos to the mechanic at Frontline Motor Sports in Christiansburg, VA for answering some wiring questions about the three phase system for me. I'm planning on swinging by tomorrow to shake some hands.

Also a bag of poo to Triumph of America. I was a bit cranky about being stranded and put a comment about it on their Facebook page. The response: "We wish you the best of luck. "

You'd think that they might at least apologize for the small fortune I spent on sub-par factory parts.

One other thing. If your bike doesn't have a voltmeter, get one. Otherwise, you'll have no indication there's a problem until your battery is only putting out about 8 volts, at that point, the check engine light comes on and the gages start to die. You'll get about 6 miles at that point. Having the voltmeter saved my butt, I knew as soon as there was a problem, instead of after it was too late.