News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Exhaust

Started by Reubs, June 19, 2011, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reubs

After a long time I got my Tiger and I have a 'Not For Road Use' exhaust on my Tiger, and with the MOT approaching, is it worth getting a standard can put on?   I am sure the previous owner told me it has passed last time with it on......

Where would the best place to get a cheap used standard can from?

Cheers for any advice...

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Reubs"After a long time I got my Tiger and I have a 'Not For Road Use' exhaust on my Tiger, and with the MOT approaching, is it worth getting a standard can put on?   I am sure the previous owner told me it has passed last time with it on......

Cheers for any advice...

I had my mot done a couple of months ago with a Triumph off road can fitted. You should have no problems with this can for a mot.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Timbox2

I agree with TT, though there is no way of knowing until you take it along, I have heard of some places tightening up on the regs.
2016 Tiger Sport

lucifer

Avoid triumph dealers, they know just where to look.

Reubs

Thanks Guys,
No worries with the Triumph dealer they are 90 odd miles away!

Will post some pics of my Tigger when I get some done!

Chris Canning

I would have thought just above every man and his dog has a stock pipe,surely a.n.other close by could loan you one,mine has never been used,it was taken off before I even collected the bike from new.

Re MOT's alway stay close to the MOT shop,just buy a few nicks and knacks over the year,pays dividends when you need e'm,thats the shop not the nicks and knacks  :D

PeteH

Reubs, I`ve had sticky aluminium tape over my "not for road use" stamp for a few years and that was advise given at the MOT station.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

mikeybikey57

Bought my "off road" pipe from an ex-Tiger owner selling on e-bay. He'd managed to have the "not for road use" stamp polished out, so there's no incriminating evidence......... so to speak.
It's sound is relatively restrained according to the man who does my MOT's and has passed without problem for the past four years.
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

mat-tiger1

Hi Reubs, I always swap my TOR tailpipe back to my spare standard one, just for the MOT & then back again!  :wink:
You can still pick up standard ones on Fleabay from time to time! It really doesn't take too long to swap them over.
But, as the lads have said above, it depends where you take it & how hard they look / listen!  :D
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Chris Canning

If you read the small print the MOT isn't proof of anything the moment it's ridden round the corner,what the MOT tester fears is the ministry men,with the latest test being on computer the days of a garage/shop doing a zillion a day are gone,and the sting in the tail normally comes when the MOT'er logs onto the computer the ministry man hiding round the corner with his laptop can then zip round and check whats going on,so if the mans done you a favour I'd always suggest you do him one and leave asap.

daveb

Quote from: "Reubs"After a long time I got my Tiger and I have a 'Not For Road Use' exhaust on my Tiger, and with the MOT approaching, is it worth getting a standard can put on?   I am sure the previous owner told me it has passed last time with it on......

Cheers for any advice...

another welshie, welcome. it depends on the tester on noise level, if he is conserned about the levels they will check for the correct BS code or EU lettering.
best advice is to visit the guy and show him the exhaust, then book the bike in with him so he knows your not after free advice and  go else where.

Reubs

Hi guys,
Not been on here in a while so thought I would tell you the mot was passed with no probs at all...the aluminium tape works wonders!!
Thanks all for your advice too.

Hi to daveb too.....nice to hear from you too!!...not too many tigers this far west!