News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer altitude/elevation and mileage question

Started by wakdady, August 05, 2011, 06:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakdady

Hi all, this is my first post! I'm looking at purchasing a '96 Tiger today. The guy is asking $2300 and it has 56k miles. What would you pay for this bike?

How temperamental are these bikes to altitude changes? For example, last time i went to Death Valley, I took my Yamaha FJ1200 and it was a pig running way too rich at 7k feet. even stalled a few times.

also, what kind of mileage will these things bear? How many miles is too many miles?

Mustang

My 98 runs superb at all elevations from sea level to 14,000 ft in the rockies

it has 70,000 miles and will see 100k easy

2300 is a fair price if the bike has been upkept on maint .

Rocinante

15400 feet no problem.

150 Kkm and a few problems later it is still running.

For a Norwegian 2300 USD is a super bargain.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

D-Fuzz

I just took my Tiger on a tour through the mountains, going over the Beartooth pass at 11,000ft and the bike ran great.  I attribute most of that to the carb settings Mustang gave me.

As far as the asking price for your Tiger, I paid $2300 for mine and it only had 9000 miles on it.  I have had to put about $1000 into it to get it completely up to snuff as the PO hadn't ridden it much in the last number of years and things were pretty gummed up.  From everything I have read, these bikes were pretty much over-built, so they will last for a long, long time if they are taken care of properly.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Sin_Tiger

Bargain, even if you have to put a few hours and bucks into it, you'll get plenty help here and probably a bit of leg pulling too  :lol:

These bikes are nowhere near as tempremental as their owners  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

wakdady

well i bought it!!! seems to have a few problems, but i'll start with my first impression.

I've never ridden a bike with knobbies, let alone an adventure bike. my current stable consists of two yamahas, an R6 and FJ1200.

This thing feels like it's going to kill me! is it the tires that make it feel so deadly?!
The fork dive is ridiculous. the motor is meh, maybe it needs a tune up.

the givi monokey system appears to have broken welds in the rear subframe that need rewelded. Turn signals don't work, but it makes a single click noise when you apply them.
Is the main fairing supposed to move around a bit at speed?

I am still very happy with my decision and i'm going to go through it thoroughly and give it a chance. i've heard very good things about them and that heavily influenced my purchase.

So.... what's my first step? since i am now a part of this awesome community.