News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955cc into a '99 with bad 885cc?

Started by blume, June 17, 2011, 09:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blume

955i from a '00 Sprint, 8 thousand miles, with harness and ECU and header for $700....

metalguru

What a bargain, well done , will save a whole shed load of money and work. :thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

blume

so far the 955 has been easy; I have fastened the engine to the bike and begun landing wiring terminals where they are common to the 885; from the engine back the loom is the same or similar enough that a bit of stretching and relocating the ECU will be all that is required, but the instruments are another story; I may need to remove individual pins and orient them differently, or cut and solder the old plugs to the new loom- still working on that bit.

blume

So the plugs are common for most of the bike, save the instruments- turns out the Sprint 955 I found was a Sprint RS with the digital display for everything but the analog tach- I'll need to source a head unit if I want to see my warning lights and speed and ODO etc I think, the tiger tach may work if I pull those wires out of the plug individually, but I prefer 'plug-n-play' if I can swing it.

off to the interweb for RS instruments... :wink:

blume

the Sprint shift linkage was set up for bell-cranks and as a result I'll need to change internals on the shifter drum or learn to shift upside down; thoughts?

metalguru

Had the same on my old steamer with a Trident engine in it and it took about 5 minutes of town riding to get used to the 'gp' shift. Found it easier in the end than conventional as just used to lightly put my foot on the shifter and dab the clutch for a quick shift.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

blume

I like the sound of "GP Shift", and as it's in the final phases of completion I think I'll ride it for a bit before I dive in again.

Yesterday was productive; minus the instruments, (UPS delivering today) the swap is done! I had to mod the inner fender for the ECU due to a shorter harness section through there, basically I cut down the raised plastic posts for the old fuse box and patched them, stuffed all the relays and the ECU and the fuse box in it's place and put the rest of the bike back in order.

Big question now is: Without an instrument cluster would this bike not start? I tried a handful of times and it turns over well, the fuel pump whines and the relays click and everything, but no spark apparently. I'll try again this afternoon after Big Brown arrives, and update and add some pictures.

metalguru

Havn't attepted this swap myself but did go through the therories as obviously you have. Would be interesting to combine the best of both intsruments to give a really comprehensive dash. By the way the cast wheel Girly has a electronic speedo if it helps. The silver engine looks a treat. Well done and good luck.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

blume

:?

frustrated!

so all has gone swimmingly, everything plugs right in with minimal mods to ancillary harness ends for differing position (fuel pump, road speed) but still no joy!

I have determined it is not squirting fuel; injector rail pulled with injectors aimed at throttle bodies proves this out. All injectors were removed from the Tiger which ran a month ago, they click when given 12VDC, the harness from them is continuous both to the ECU fuse and battery and the switched side in the ECU plugs.

I have fat blue snapping spark, I have air   :roll:  and I have fresh gas in the tank, the fuel pump whines with the key on, and pressures up the rail but I believe the ECU is not firing the right synapses to open the injectors, so I have this Question:

WTF??

does an ECU need refreshed after being idle several years? or is the thing cooked in this particular node of it's wee lil' brain?

I'm assuming the injectors are driven by the same signal the plugs are fired from, so I believe the crank position sensor is functional, and I am assuming the fuel pressure is adequate, however, I do not have a verified number of psi, which I'll find tonight.

I also have a friend down the road with an'00 Tiger with the same brain and I'm getting ready to harangue him or bribe with spirits to use his as trouble shooting kit.

Wish me luck, I want to ride this Tiger RS like nobody's business.

:iagree

KuzzinKenny

Hey blume !! have ya checked, kill switch, clutch switch and side stand switch ??

just a thought !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

blume

had an ahah moment last night after testing the fuel pressure and regulator; the pump will run for one second with the key and then shut off, it has no sensor for pressure that I can think of so it only bumps a small bit of fuel into the rail; I think I need to prime the system before i trailer it to the dealer.

so I'm having a tasty breakfast on the way over to fill the gas can, and "working" from home today,

cross your fingers lads  8)

blume

well, with a direct power supply to the fuel pump the RS Tiger runs and rides like a champ; however, the ECU should switch the power on and leave it on.

and the lights are not working, so I may have a partial ECU meltdown?

but! I rode it today for the first time since it seized last month, and it is a ripper- 955 is a healthy bump, and the extra power, RPM, and torques make a really neat bike!

iansoady

Quote from: "blume"had an ahah moment last night after testing the fuel pressure and regulator; the pump will run for one second with the key and then shut off,

That sounds right to me. According to the workshop manual, "the pump runs continuously when the engine is running and also is run briefly when the ignition is switched on......"

That's exactly what my 04 model does.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650