News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Alcan5000

Started by OilSlik, December 08, 2004, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OilSlik

Have any of  you Tiger owners tried your bike on the Alcan5000? From looking over the ADVrider, site most of the bikes seemed to be BMW or KTM's. I would certainly think the Tiger could do the Alcan just as well as those bikes.

Browsed through the newest "everything on TWO wheels" mag yesterday at Border's and they had a feature on adv-touring bikes...1)KTM 950, 2)BMW 1200GS, 3)Varadero, and the 4)TIGER...and that is exactly how they ranked them. The trip was on both pave and off-road...they had some nice things to say 'bout the Tiger, but ranked it 4th amongst these. I wasn't exactly satisfied with their lousy explanation...and this is coming from someone who doesn't own one yet. Anyone else read this article?...What do you think?

OilSlik
Rode hard...put away wet!!

Brock

Don't need to read it.

It's bollocks.

Compared to the Tiger the 'dero is a barge.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Mr Mistoffelees

Quote from: "Brock"Don't need to read it.

It's bollocks.

Compared to the Tiger the 'dero is a barge.

:lol:  Say whats on your mind Brock, dont hold back   :lol:  Actually your right the Varadero is a big beast.

Hi Oilslik, Never heard of the Alcan5000 before, whats it all about ?, is it like the iron butt ?
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

OilSlik

Mr. M

The Alcan5000 is a state-side rallye of 5000 miles along the Alaskan-Canadian Highway. It starts in Seattle, WA and ends in Anchorage, Ak. Invovles cars and cycles. 9 day event. Entry fee $2000.00 US. Lodging provided. It's held every 2 years...the next one being Fall 2006. (They also hold winter rallyes for cars) Check out their web-site: http://www.alcan5000.com I'm still learning more about the Iron Butt...but the alcan has pave/gravel/streambed/dirt etc...whereas the IB is mostly pave...but I could be wrong on that. I definitely have my sites on it for 2008...of not the 2006 one. You should browse ADVrider's picture gallery site...there's some good photos on this year's event...5th or 6th page in or so.

OilSlik

52blackshadow

I'm not really surprised at the ratings! The Tiger is a great road bike, but I certainly wouldn't rate it better than the KTM or BMW as an off roader.  I guess the only slightly contentious point is should it be rated better than the Varadero?  I'd place them quite close myself. The Journos who wrote the article will have tried them back to back and so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Now if they were looking for the best road bike out of the four I'd suggest the ratings would have been reversed, with perhaps Triumph, BMW, Honda & KTM.

Cheers,

Shadow.
Ride safe!!!!!

ChrisN

Hi OilSlik,

I posted my views on the TWO report some time ago - see my thread on page 2 of this forum.

Hope you get your Tiger soon and make the Alcan run - you'll have no regrets!
Chris

Brock

Let's remember one important thing;

a/ The journo hasn't bought the bike he's riding so has little appreciation of value for money.

b/ The journo has no experience of long-term ownership (reliability, servicing costs) or the idea of "bonding" with a bike over a long time.

c/ Journos have weird ideas of what matters. Some time ago the Tiger missed out on top spot in a "Sports Tourer" test because the journo didn't like the colour (Lucifer Orange) the Tiger was up against some bloody good, highly rated sports tourers.

(Okay...there were three things...I lied).

I think the Tiger does OK considering how old the design is. The GS12 and KTM are both brand new models, with massive development costs.

And the 'dero is still a barge.

And I don't hold back.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Mr Mistoffelees

Hi Oilslik,

Looking at the website link, I have no doubt the Tiger would be up for the task  8)

The Big question is ......would your butt  :lol:  5000 miles in 9 days = ouch

:shock:

p.s. If you do get a chance to do it, I will personally send you a pillow to strap to the seat  :lol:
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

OilSlik

Mr. M,

I'm going to hold you to that...2006 Alcan here I come!!!  :twisted:

OilSlik