News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello All

Started by Mr Mistoffelees, December 08, 2004, 12:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mistoffelees

Hello All,

The mission was to find a bike that would be more suitable for my daily commute of 64 miles (mainly motorway with the occasional A road and London visit) and in a word - affordable to run, so, after some serious magazine bashing (no not that type  :shock: ) it seemed like the Tiger could fit the bill with its upright riding position, weather protection, decent engine perfomance figures, and 6k service intervals.

To cut a long story short, bit of phoning around and down I pop to Lagunas in Maidstone to have a look at the beast in the flesh:

First thought - GOD YOU IS UGLY   :shock: !!!

Second thought - So Am I And My Wife Still loves me   :D  ?

Third thought (which I said out loud) - I LOVE IT WHEN CAN I COLLECT IT  :roll:  ?.

The sales guy then informed me it comes with panniers/ heated grips and centre stand as standard and it will be ready in a week (I almost kissed him - and that aint a pretty thought  :? ).

Well that was 4 weeks/983 miles ago now and in a word I LOVE IT  :D

My last bike was a Suzuki GSX1400, no wind protection, terrible build quality, limited handling but a fantastic engine which didnt let me down in 21200 odd miles.

Points noted so far on the Tiger:

- The chain needs more attention (cleaning and lubing) than the old suzuki. I lube it every other day (130 miles approx) and clean it proper like at the weekend.

- Getting about 12.59 miles per litre of petrol, that works out based on the 24 litre tank to have a range of 300 miles ? seems a bit high to me so will check it again starting tomorrow.

Anyway hi all

Mr M

p.s. That headlight mod using the extra relays makes a big difference, cheers to who ever made the pdf instructions.

p.p.s. Will those looks ever grow on me ? - it looks great from the rear, but then again most things do  :wink:
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Patrick the Scot

Mr M;

Welcome to the mother site.  I see you have hit a few threads, so good up on ya.  This forum has been rather quiet in the last few weeks, not sure why, but it is nice to have new energy aboard.  Oh, we all had fun chatting with Modre, but he hasn't come out to play lately.  Check out his post for fun.  
Quotenew guy here

You mentioned the Tiger's lack of beauty. I must admit the Tiger is not the most usual shape of a moto, but neither is a GS.  Yet, I find them both beautiful because of what they do.  The old "form is dragged along by function" thing.  So, I value what the design of the Tiger does, therefore the design is good... hmmm, try this analogy: the private parts of women are really not that pretty, well in fact they are pretty damned disgusting looking, yet a well oiled women's private workings will moitivate men to unfathomable feats and stupidity.  Form follows function. It is good because of what it does.

Also, I have a dead dry 300 mile range on the Tiger.  Again, welcome aboard.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Gojira

I have seen the 300 mile claim several times.  What kind of speeds and riding are necessary to achieve that.  I am looking at more like 240 or 250 a tank.   Maybe its because it is still breaking in (about 1000 miles on it) or I am riding a bit fast ( usually 75 - 80 mph ).  I would have more miles on it but I have a broken ankle for the last month and can't seem to operate the shifter with my cast .

Badger

Welcome Mr M. Your fuel consumption looks about right. On my commute, which is slow A road and some filtering, I get about 48 - 50 MPG. On a recent run down to South Wales I was cruising at a steady 80 - 85 and got 57 MPG.
Growing Old Disgracefully

BP_LONDON

Damn, I only get about 150-160 out of a tank  :twisted:

Badger

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Damn, I only get about 150-160 out of a tank  :twisted:

You must have a more flexible right wrist.  :wink:
Growing Old Disgracefully

Patrick the Scot

Quotehave seen the 300 mile claim several times. What kind of speeds and riding are necessary to achieve that. I am looking at more like 240 or 250 a tank.

I said that I figure 300 miles to dead dry.  Actually, I use that figure on long highway runs where I never even let of the throttle for 200 miles or more, say out in New Mexico, West Texas and that area.  In this situation, at 70-75mph, I've gotten 55mpg.  However,  I'm hitting the super pump at no later than 200 miles on the clock as fuel is a far piece down the road sometimes. For instance, on I-10 going west out of Ozona, Texas, you might not get fuel for a 100 miles if the next fuel stop is closed.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Badger"
Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Damn, I only get about 150-160 out of a tank  :twisted:

You must have a more flexible right wrist.  :wink:

Letme put it this way. NO ONE ever beats me off the lights in town. That tiger is a monster  :twisted:  :twisted:

Brock

Mr. M, WELCOME. I like the cut of your jib.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Mr Mistoffelees

Cheers for the welcome guys,

Great analogy Patrick  :lol: and by god its true  :D

Sorry to hear about the ankle Gojira, hope it heals quickly.  Re: the tank range,  generally my speed is between 60~70mph (M25 traffic rarely allows for more) with a good mile or two of slow 15mph filtering.

BP_London : Got to admit, that 955i engine does have a sweet pick up  8)

Quote from: "Mr Mistoffelees"Hello All,

Points noted so far on the Tiger:

- The chain needs more attention (cleaning and lubing) than the old suzuki. I lube it every other day (130 miles approx) and clean it proper like at the weekend.

- Getting about 12.59 miles per litre of petrol, that works out based on the 24 litre tank to have a range of 300 miles ? seems a bit high to me so will check it again starting tomorrow.

:

1ST.....fit a scott oiler. My bike has done 22500 miles on the original chain & sprockets & still going strong.

2nd...12.59 miles / litre....bit accurate that! Anyway, I work that out as 57mpg(ish). I get 52~53mpg in normal riding. I did get 69mpg ONCE! When I was at about your mileage, on a VERY slow RAT raid in the Ardennes. Basically the Tiger 955i is very economical.

New-Tiger

hello. I also acquired my tiger from Maidstone several months ago. I'm just about to put it in for the 6000 mile service. I've loved every second of ownership and am finding the engine is getting smoother with every mile. Laguna put on my triumph race can and i reccommend it. My bike really roars now. Maybe see you around...

05 Silver Tiger

Race can

Scott oiler on its way

Mr Mistoffelees

Hey New-Tiger,

Been taking my bikes to Lagunas for the last 5 years and with the exception of one less than great service (which they put right straight away/loan bike and knocked some cash off my next service) have done a great job.

If your wondering, alll that was wrong with the service was an overtightend chain +  they hadnt drained the old oil completely before refilling - so it went from clear to black within the ride home.

Hope to see you around  :wink: