News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Vibration issues

Started by OHjim, August 17, 2011, 04:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Quote from: "OHjim"
Quote from: "metalguru"Yes it is 6mm silicone tube suitable for vacuum.

I bought some 6mm tubing, but it looks big.  Do I need 4mm not 6mm?  Note that I have not taken anything apart yet and cannot see anything from the sides.

Yes it will look big as the pipe carries air from the IACV to the TB's at idle. It is one of those while I am in there jobs to eliminate a potential problem or make a present one better.

Just a thought but is it definately firing on three cylinders?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

OHjim

I would think it's firing on all cylinders as I was surprised how well it pulls from 20 mph in 5th gear. But???  I'll check the plugs when I pull them and post some picks.

The dealer did not rev the engine because when they loaded the program it had to idle for a while.  Then, he got too busy to look at it.  They did me a favor by fitting me in their schedule on my lunch hour and I didn't want to push it.

OHjim

Well, the fuel light came on today, so I started a day early.  And for starters, I found this:

The hose was not connected and that is a direct opening into the filtered side of the airbox.  Grrrrr.  I also found a surprising amount of carbon buildup for 7k miles (hard to see):

But, the plugs looked even:

I have run 1 tankful with Chevron Techron.  I may need to do that and Seafoam  a few more times.  Any way to clean the carbon with more dis-assembly?

I hope the tube being disconnected did not hurt the engine too much (dirtwise).  Anyone think that could cause vibration?  I wonder if it came that way from the factory.  Would that have been touched for the 6k service or any previous scheduled maintenance?  The PO  took it to the dealer only.

Also, the gasket around the idle control valve wasn't compressed very much, so I wonder if that was leaking as well.  I read a post on here that mentioned he had to put a bit of silicone around there to seal the ICV up better.

iansoady

That tube is the barometric pressure sensor connection to the ECU. I don't expect it's sucked too much muck in unless you're riding round the Sahara, and it will be working (approximately) as designed.

Those plugs look on the weak side to me but it's hard to tell with modern fuels.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

All that dirt around the throttle butterflies needs to be removed as they are ment to be closed at idle. Clean out the bodies aswell as there will be coresponding muck where the butterflies seat.

May be a good idea to balance the bodies while you are there as the dealer will not have been able to sync them correctly.

Plugs look about right as these run very lean on the Triumph tunes, (emissions and all that).

Clean out the IACV aswell as dealers don't do that either, a little bit of silicone lube (NOT WD40) on the sliding part of the valve works wonders.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"That tube is the barometric pressure sensor connection to the ECU. I don't expect it's sucked too much muck in unless you're riding round the Sahara, and it will be working (approximately) as designed.

Those plugs look on the weak side to me but it's hard to tell with modern fuels.

Correct Ian, it is the baro tube, but it's passive, it doesn't suck so no reason for crap to have gotten in there unless it blew in.  Just take the tube off anf blow it through.  

MG is right about the butterflys,  but the important fact here is that with the baro tube flapping in the wind instead of sensing the airbox pressure, the ECU will have no idea how much oxygen is actually available.  Instead it will think there's loads and will run the mix seriously rich.  (Which is not what usually causes vibes, rich = smooth normally) but it will contribute to the state of the butterflys. And yes, I know the plugs look about right, but the butterflys have to be getting that crap from somewhere.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

OHjim

Just a quick update.  This weekend I pulled everything apart and tried to sync the TB's.  Here are the before and after pics:

Before:

After:

Couldn't get them closer as they varied while idling.  Didn't stop the vibration.  Have not gotten things back together yet as I am still getting the cruise done.  (I will be documenting and posting that as well.)  

I read on TRat that some have had success syncing at 4000 RPM.  So I may look at that tonight.  I also may remove the Touratech guards an start at square 1.  In researching this, I found many that post that they have no vibrations in the handlebars or mirrors at all.  Others say above 80 mph. There is a small group like mine and some of those don't worry what's behind . . . .

KuzzinKenny

Hey OHjim !! Order 3 elbows, as there's 2 on the coolant expansion tank and they'll brake aswell  :(  they're 8mm but don't get Triumph ones or the same will happen !! you can get them in GRP, Polypropylene or brass !!

save yerself 1 headache  :wink:

KK

ps do check the size, 8mm was off the top of me head  :?
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

OHjim

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey OHjim !! Order 3 elbows, as there's 2 on the coolant expansion tank and they'll brake aswell  :(  they're 8mm but don't get Triumph ones or the same will happen !! you can get them in GRP, Polypropylene or brass !!

save yerself 1 headache  :wink:

KK

ps do check the size, 8mm was off the top of me head  :?

I'm not sure I follow???  Why do I need elbows?

KuzzinKenny

is that not what happened to the one in the airbox ?? did it not brake ?? or did it just come out !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

OHjim

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"is that not what happened to the one in the airbox ?? did it not brake ?? or did it just come out !!

KK

Oh - the breather.  No, it didn't break.  I think whoever had the airbox off last, probably the dealer, just did not put it back in.  It was tucked into the wire harness.

ourade

You are not alone, my 2002 tiger has the same vibrations.
I have tried most of the suggestions mentioned with no joy, good luck i will follow this post with great interest.
One common theme seems to be that my bike had only done 750 miles with its first owner in 6 years, i have now done 26000 in the 3 years i have owned her.
Cheers Ade.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "OHjim"Oh - the breather.  No, it didn't break......

:BangHead

Read my pervious post.  It's not a breather, it's an essential part of your fuel management system without which  the ECU cannot fuel the engine properly and it will not run correctly.  Triumph don't fit extra bits for fun, each bit has a job to do.

Rant over....  :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "OHjim"Oh - the breather.  No, it didn't break......

:BangHead

Read my pervious post.  It's not a breather, it's an essential part of your fuel management system without which  the ECU cannot fuel the engine properly and it will not run correctly.  Triumph don't fit extra bits for fun, everything has a job to do.

Rant over....  :roll:

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "iansoady"That tube is the barometric pressure sensor connection to the ECU. I don't expect it's sucked too much muck in unless you're riding round the Sahara, and it will be working (approximately) as designed.

Correct Ian, it is the baro tube, but it's passive, it doesn't suck so no reason for crap to have gotten in there unless it blew in.  Just take the tube off anf blow it through.

I did mean that it wouldn't have sucked much into the air filter housing......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650