News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Consumption

Started by Mr Mistoffelees, December 10, 2004, 12:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mistoffelees

Hi All,

Just throwing a general question out there:

From experience, are there any oil burning issues related to the 955i engine ? i.e. yes it can use a lot or never had to top it up.

My bikes just gone over the 1000 mile mark now and it had its 500 mile service at errr 500 miles  :roll: , but checking the oil this morning I noticed the level had dropped to just over half on the dip stick.

No smoke or anything like that has been experienced, so I was just a wondering if anybody knew of any issues (like to keep on top of these things before they become a problem)

Most likely its still been using a bit whilst running in.

Anyway will top it up at the weekend and continue to check it.

8)
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

RaiderJunky

I've got close to 3000 miles on my '05 Tiger and the level has not dropped.

RaiderJunky

TigerTim

New 05 Tiger in July has now done 5.5k miles. Only recently (last 1.5k mls) have I had to "top up" - twice, hhmmmmmmm

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

BP_LONDON

I topped up yesterday for the first time in 5000 miles. The 955i doesn't seem to burn oil like BMW's.

Brock

My previous Tiger, bought S/H, did use a little oil. First bike I ever owned that did. However, my new one now has over 4,000 miles on it and I don't think it's used a drop. Could it be the running-in process I've used on this one from new? Probably.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

The two 900i's i had didn't burn a drop and neither did the 955 that i've got but last year on a very hot two trip between Italy and Spain it used about half liter which i wasn't to happy about but considering that we never had a day under 35c and most of the time the bike was running between 90 and 130 then guess i've no complaints.

Chris

In 22500 miles mine has never needed topping up between services.

Dick Boyer

My 04 has 17,000kms and doesn't burn a drop of Molil 1.

Tiger of La Habra

Same thing with my Tiger (2004) I noticed clutch was different and third gear would sometimes not want to engage. I checked the oil level and noticed it low but it couldn't be low because it was just serviced, it's first 500 miles. I did an oil change myself with the recomended synthetic oil and have not had a problem since (4500 miles). I've been to Ensenada twice and what a wondurfull ride it's been.

tigerjohn

My Tiger has been using oil - about 1 litre in 5000 miles. I mentioned it to the dealer when it went in for its 6k service recently. They immediately suspected a poor fit in the crankcase 'centrifugal breather seal' - apparantly they're not always fitted correctly at Hinckley and usually explain excessive oil consumption in low milage 955s. A quick inspection suggested this was the problem and the seal was replaced under warranty - it's located inside the LH side engine cover and breathes up into the airbox. Too early to tell whether it has made any difference, but the dealer seemed pretty confident this would cure the problem....have yours checked Mr M.

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "tigerjohn"They immediately suspected a poor fit in the crankcase 'centrifugal breather seal' - apparantly they're not always fitted correctly at Hinckley and usually explain excessive oil consumption in low milage 955s. A quick inspection suggested this was the problem and the seal was replaced under warranty

That is damn good information, thanks a million for posting.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Barns

2003 model has been using oil at about 1 pint per 1,000 miles for the past 2,000 miles, previously used virtually none.  Milage is now 13,000 miles.  I've complained to the dealer, took it in especially for them to have a look, "look" being the operative word.  Agreed to monitor and return for 12,000 service.  Did this, oil consumption remained the same, they did nothing, and don't view it as being excessive enough to warrant any action !  Not happy about it, have also contacted Triumph, but again they don't view it as excessive.

Barns

2003 model has been using oil at about 1 pint per 1,000 miles for the past 2,000 miles, previously used virtually none.  Milage is now 13,000 miles.  I've complained to the dealer, took it in especially for them to have a look, "look" being the operative word.  Agreed to monitor and return for 12,000 service.  Did this, oil consumption remained the same, they did nothing, and don't view it as being excessive enough to warrant any action !  Not happy about it, have also contacted Triumph, but again they don't view it as excessive.

Patrick the Scot

Not a dropped lost in the last 3000 miles on my '05 model.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Mr Mistoffelees

Thanks for the all the replys.

Sorry I havent been around to respond - but I can tell you that since topping up it has stayed nice and level.

Still keeping an eye on it though.

:roll:
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions