News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Any BT engineers out there?

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 23, 2011, 12:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I'm looking someone to help me understand how my broadband works.  I know quite a bit already, but I have a 6 week issue with broadband from BT.  Don't get me wrong they keep sending engineers who are very helpful and sure they've fixed the problem, and I'm sure we are nearly there, but we just aren't quite.

I have a downstream sync speed of 4.5MbPS tonight which is the best it's been after engineers rerouted the connection off a bad cable, but the IP Profile is locked down to 135kbps and is refusing to budge.  My understanding is that it should reprofile automatically over a few days but it doesn't seem to be happening.  Surely the tecs can set it to a higher value?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

I`ve emailed my brother in law your problem, he works for BT(area manager) so hopefully he know something  :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bixxer Bob

Cheers :wink:

I was talking to the tecs today and they say they've reset the IP profile but it will take up to 10 days to recalibrate itself to best speed.  Hopefully it'll be near the sync speed which tonight is 6.5 mb!!! 8)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Getting sorted then :)  no reply as yet...but then its holiday time...or cant help :oops:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

KuzzinKenny

Hey Bixxer Bob !! i'm not openin with Hey BB !! anymore as i've just found out that in text messagin  :? BB = Bebi / Baby  :oops:  :lol:

anyhoo !! good to see yer back  :thumbsup

this might come in handy..........

http://speedtester.bt.com/

:wink:

KK

ps crap broadband  :roll: welcome to my world  :(
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

Cheers Kenny!!

As for the BB,  came back from a weekend in Spa for the F1 to find we have 4.5Mb.  Well happy if it continues. Wel done BT for hangin' in there :lol:

oxnsox

If you can access your router statistics it'll tell you what speeds the line should be doing. At least that way you'll know if what you're getting is what your line can provide or what its restricted to by other factors (poor house wiring, interference, too far from the node etc)
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

With my ISP I can run a test using their website which gives min and max throughput and IP profile which I now know is dynamic ie it gradually pushes the speed up until it becomes unstable then backs off.  Since we were switched to a different supply cable things have been a lot better.  The line is capable of 7Mb but my IP has settled at 4.3Mb.

KuzzinKenny

Me Max Achievable Speed is 7150 Kbps and i get Download  Speed 2571 Kbps  :(

it can't keep up with Utube  :(  so me mate says, pause it untill its downloaded !! tryed that, it gets so far and falls asleep  :sleepy1  so i press play and it gets to the point where it Zzzzz and it stops  :x

:?

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

oxnsox

BB if you look up your router model on the net you'll find how to access it, rather than doing a web based test.
Web tests (like Speedtest.net) will tell you what you're getting, but aren't always reliably accurate for a number of reasons... main 2 are that the ISP can make the test results look better thru these tools and that it's only a snapshot of what you're getting 'now'. 5mins later you'll get different results because the load on the system has changed.

If you can access your router directly (it'll be an address like 10.1.1.1 pr 192.168.1.1) through your browser you should be able to find a stats page somewhere that will give you your line stats. These are an actual measurement (by the device) of the max speed your ISP can supply over the circuit.  Typically you'll never actually achieve these, but you should be within say 15% +/-

Am I making sense or have you tried this stuff?
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Timbox2

I was getting 2.5 to 3ish until recently, BT sent me an email saying they had upgraded the line. Ive just checked my Router stats, and I am getting 4.5 Download and nearly 1meg Up, cant be bad as its old copper line and Im a fair way from the exchange, no cable at all round here :(
2016 Tiger Sport

oxnsox

Quote from: "Timbox2"I was getting 2.5 to 3ish until recently, BT sent me an email saying they had upgraded the line. Ive just checked my Router stats, and I am getting 4.5 Download and nearly 1meg Up, cant be bad as its old copper line and Im a fair way from the exchange, no cable at all round here :(
Crikey Blokes those speeds are ye-olde-wold.

Down here in Hobbit country I was getting over 12-14MB a couple of years ago when I lived in the big city.  Since moving into the country I've opted to do it all wireless (and get my internet via a 3G network) which is more similar to what  Timbox had and has.

And down here in Middle Earth the Government has just awarded contracts to increase broadband speeds across the country... numbers will vary depending on location but the plan is to bring it up over 15Mb down 5MBup nationally with 50MB+ in the main CBDs.  And if you read the press here the geek squads say we're lagging the world......
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "oxnsox"BB if you look up your router model on the net you'll find how to access it, rather than doing a web based test.
Web tests (like Speedtest.net) will tell you what you're getting, but aren't always reliably accurate for a number of reasons... main 2 are that the ISP can make the test results look better thru these tools and that it's only a snapshot of what you're getting 'now'. 5mins later you'll get different results because the load on the system has changed.

If you can access your router directly (it'll be an address like 10.1.1.1 pr 192.168.1.1) through your browser you should be able to find a stats page somewhere that will give you your line stats. These are an actual measurement (by the device) of the max speed your ISP can supply over the circuit.  Typically you'll never actually achieve these, but you should be within say 15% +/-

Am I making sense or have you tried this stuff?

I've done that too.  I'm getting near to the router stats so I'm happy.  thanks for the help all  :wink: