News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'98 Running Rough.

Started by Noddyhd, September 01, 2011, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noddyhd

Hi all.  :)

I've just got my Tiger back from the shop after encountering a problem that I was unable to cure!.....

The soloution was at the end of the day very simple... but you have to know where to look...

You many already know about this, but I thought I'd let you all know about it anyway...... Knowledge is power....

The bike has only done 26000ish miles but it ran like a pile of crap, especially in the rain. :(  I'd done all the usual things, conections, plugs, coils, carbs etc but after two major breakdowns on the motorway in rain and weeks of tinkering and head scratching I finally gave in and went to a shop I trust (Bikecare in Bristol. 0117 9397750)

In the end two of the carbs were running rich and one weak, two of the plugs were a bit iffy, a couple of connections 'could' have been cleaner and the foam on the air filter was failing and going into the carbs, but the biggest and MAIN problem was water in the tank!!!!!!

I'd drained the tank myself a couple of times but it would seem water was getting in still!! :shock: !!! After Neil spent some time looking he found that the tank breather was completely blocked at the bottom of the tank were the small alloy spigot exits the tank and joins the rubber hose. There is a VERY SMALL hole through it which can block very easy, then the water backs up the internal tank tube and the only place the water can then go is into to fuel tank!

SOLOUTION.. :?: ... remove the small spiggot at the bottom of the tank and dump the rubber hose, any future water will drain over the top of the carbs and cause no further problem to the tank it self......

:D  :D  :D  I'm a very happy bunny now....
\'98 Steamer in BRG.
\'81 HD Wideglide.
\'85 HD Wideglide.
\'74 GT750 \'Kettle\'

Timbox2

Common issue on Girlies too, not sure I like the "Dumping the Tube" mod, if you overfill the tank petrol can go down there too, onto the top of the engine now in your case, hmmm  :?
2016 Tiger Sport