News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 1200 mergefest **all 1200 chat here

Started by Bixxer Bob, September 10, 2011, 11:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairhead

Quote from: "Big G"I so wanted the Tiger 1200 to be a bike for me, and it would be if it wasn't for the 20 litre fuel tank.

How big should it be?,20 liters has got to be good for 200 miles,thats 2.5 hours in the saddle minimum,time to stretch your legs me thinks :roll:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

rf9rider

Quote from: "chairhead":D    Dora...... :thumbsup  gets my vote!

Mine too   :thumbsup

Tiger-G

Chairhead,

I don't think you'll get anywhere near 200 miles out of 20 litres.

I currently get 43mpg out of my 955 and get a range of about 220 miles on a 24 litre tank of fuel.  Let's say you get 43mpg out of the 1200, then it comes in at well under 200 miles. And don't forget, you don't go looking for fuel when the tanks empty, you go looking with about a 40 mile reserve.

And so called "Big Trailie's" have traditionally had big tanks and long range so you can go and explore places off the beaten track where there are no fuel stops.  Looks like most of the manufacturers have forgotten that, or no longer think that that's what touring riders want ?
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

chairhead

G,

not wanting split hairs,the 955i's fuel tank holds 23 liters,3.5 when the low

fuel warning lamp comes on,(thats what the official workshop manual says)

and how much mpg you get from that depends on how you ride of course,

the best mpg i had when the bike was solo was 250 miles to the tank.....

all of it :D , and that was @ 80mph

if you are contemplating going off road or off the beaten track then your

average speed will drop(unless you are a crusty demon of dirt of course :lol: )

therefor fuel consumption will drop too,

even if Triumph do bring out "ADV" style Dora its unlikley the tank will be

that much bigger,maybe 5 liters, would be interesting to know what the

mpg actually is for Dora,if i were in the market for a new bike and i wish i

were,a 20 liter tank wouldnt be the deciding factor,horses for courses

though 8)
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Tiger-G

Chair,

Agreed, no need to split hairs, and we all want different things from a bike. And the idea of a forum is we all have our say and have a good natter about it, whether we agree or not - and that's what we've done  :D
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

I get nearer 48/50 with the roadie and I don't expect it would be less with the 1200, why? Engine technology is moving on all the time and fly by wire will help even more.

By 150 miles I am ready to take a break no matter how good the saddle and ergonomics are, hell I can't even sit on the sofa for longer than that, no matter how hard I try  :D

Until we get some real world figures and not from crotch rocket journos, this is all just Olympic level speculation  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"I get nearer 48/50 with the roadie and I don't expect it would be less with the 1200, why? Engine technology is moving on all the time and fly by wire will help even more.

hope you're not disapointed... I expected the 800 to be better than my steamer/TBS/955i with it being lightweight and having all the latest electrikery, but not so..

Chris Canning

Put me in the 23/24 litres want bracket,not a case of how far I can ride,but after I've ridden 150/160 miles and the next fuel is 40/50 miles down the road or more I don't want to be faffing about on a knife edge trying to find it,the other thing I live,depending on which ferry I've got off 175/200 miles from them and with both my Tiger and an 1100s BM with an extended tank to 24 liters can do home in one hit,20 litres is no good too me,I've found travelling fast can have as much to do with refuelling as a fast engine.

chairhead

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I don't want to be faffing about on a knife edge

I think you must be trying pretty hard not to find a fuel stop in the UK 50

miles before you need to fill up,hardly a knife edge situation :lol: ,

id love a larger tank,all im saying is it being 3 liters smaller than my

Girly's would'nt put me off :wink:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

Quote from: "chairhead"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"I don't want to be faffing about on a knife edge

I think you must be trying pretty hard not to find a fuel stop in the UK 50

miles before you need to fill up,hardly a knife edge situation :lol: ,

id love a larger tank,all im saying is it being 3 liters smaller than my

Girly's would'nt put me off :wink:

There's a very simple answer to that apart from to and from the ferry I don't ride the Tiger in UK,50 miles in central Spain,East of Prague,and oddly enough there's a black hole for fuel south of Dijon on the autoroute that I've been cought out more times than enough,and it's rare I get more than very low 40's from the Tiger and very often high 30's.

MikeBenzon

Quote from: "chairhead"
Quote from: "Big G"I so wanted the Tiger 1200 to be a bike for me, and it would be if it wasn't for the 20 litre fuel tank.

How big should it be?,20 liters has got to be good for 200 miles,thats 2.5 hours in the saddle minimum,time to stretch your legs me thinks :roll:

I hear this argument all the time about "2.5 hours in the saddle, I'm ready to get off" and it misses the point of the larger tanks. Here in the western US it's about maximum fuel range when there is a large span of travel with no fuel stations available. I usually stop several times in the span of the tank full to stretch my legs, but there isn't a gas station anywhere in site. One example I can think of is Ely Nevada to Tonopah Nevada. It is about 170 miles between points with no gas anywhere in between. A bike with 200 miles fuel range will get you there, but you still sweat a little blood looking at your "low fuel light" for the last 50 miles. From Caliente to Tonopah is even longer, but sometimes you can buy a gallon of gas from a cafe in the middle, if they have any. I never plan for that gas. Point is I stop and stretch my legs when needed, but there is no gas to be had for a long time.

I'm wondering if Triumph spec'd a smaller gas tank due to the new methods of determining "ride ready weight" formula that includes a full tank of gas. A 24 liter gas tank just adds weight to the bike's spec's. I can look past that, but maybe Triumph doesn't think most people would.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

Sin_Tiger

You've got a couple of very valid points there Mike.

Maybe that is the driver behind it, if that's the case then even if Triumph don't do it here is an opening for a larger tank, personally I'd rather carry a spare jerry can low down and then I also know exactly how much range I have rather than rely on a level gauge / warning light / countdown, maybe I'm too old but I always like the reserve tap.

Normally I don't plan rides to that level, part of the ejoyment, and yes we are spoilt a bit in Europe but if I was doing that kind of ride I'd be doing a bit more research.

One thing that I am concerned about is the fly by wire, not a luddite but I do want to be able to ride home or to service with a bit more than limp home, say 80% of norm. The Multistrada has a cable backup, though I don't know the details of it's workings, hope Triumph can manage that. Dumping the bike during a fordding is not that uncommon, how a bar tps would survive compared to a traditional twist grip I'd rather not find out myself.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

MikeBenzon

If the fly by wire is anything like my 08 Harley Ultra Classic I would not worry. I find the fly by wire works very well. I especially like it when using cruise because as soon as you activate the cruise, it de-activates the hand throttle and you don't feel the throttle moving under your hand. You just forget about the hand throttle until you cancel the cruise mode.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S

MikeBenzon

I've changed my mind on what I think we should call this new bike. I like "shaftie" or "the shaft". I think the shaft drive is the most significant change to the new Tiger.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Sin_Tiger

That's interesting, like I said, not so worried about it working, more about when it doesn't.

Now that's a fresh one SHAFT big bad dude  :wink:

Damn I won't be able to get that tune out of my head for the rest of the day  :roll: