News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HELP, I have a strange sound in driveline!!

Started by drunk_uncle, September 12, 2011, 04:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunk_uncle

My 06 Tiger with 15k miles makes a rythmic sorta grinding sound only when the clutch lever is pulled in and at neutral throttle.  As soon as you accelerate or decelerate, it goes away.  My Triumph delaer replaced a bad bearing in the clutch, but still didn't go away.  Any input would be appreciated.  I plan on using this bike for my trip to Alaska next year.
Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who don't!!

KuzzinKenny

Hey drunk_uncle !! I'd start with the chain !! is it too tight ? ( they like to run slack ), is the rear wheel aligned properly ? is the chain dry ?

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

tett

Chain was my first thought as well.  Did my chain in this year after a 14,000 ride with some heavy off rode sections.  Bike started to sound like sh*t with weird grinding noises that went away when cruising.  Clean and adjusted the chain and the bike is as smooth as silk.  Still need a new chain as the links are a tad loose.

Cheers!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

drunk_uncle

The was the first thing I went after as it looked like the PO did nothing to it for 15k miles.  Got clean and lubed with Chain Wax, had new 705s mounted and tired aligned.  It still made the noise.  Took it to El Dorado Cycles and they thought it was one of the bearings in the clutch.  Great people by the way.  Since I live a hundred miles away, he gave me a Sprint GT demo while they worked on it.  Going to call them today.  I was just hoping somebody had this problem before.  My next area to check is the wheel bearing.  I went through three sets on my 06 Sprint ST in two years.  The third set is still going strong.

blacktiger

Front sprocket teeth horribly hooked?
I put a new one on at 15K. The rear and chains run to 30K+. Scottoiler is fitted.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

drunk_uncle

Quote from: "blacktiger"Front sprocket teeth horribly hooked?
I put a new one on at 15K. The rear and chains run to 30K+. Scottoiler is fitted.

Its back at the shop getting new chain and sprockets.  The front sprocket had some play in it.  It this doesn't solve the problem I am just going to drive it till it the motor dies and put a 1050 motor in it.  I read somewhere that 06 Tigers have 1050 cases allowing a 1050 engine swap.