News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Check engine light

Started by Fe Man, September 14, 2011, 12:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

A couple of weeks ago, I left the switch on and killed my battery. I charged it and headed home; bike died, dead battery so I tow it home a couple of weeks ago and take the opportunity to complete some maintenance.

last night I finished adjusting my valves, got everything buttoned up, mounted what was supposed to be a charged battery. On the way to work I notice that my speedo and tach have ceased to function; moments later the bike dies. I trailer it to work, install new battery and now the check engine light is on...

Any ideas where to start?

Mustang

ya ride it for 3 heat cycles and it should shut itself off  ...............

Fe Man

Quote from: "Mustang"ya ride it for 3 heat cycles and it should shut itself off  ...............

thanks Mustang!
The valve tool worked great btw!

Mustang

Fe Man

Great!

Installed new, charged battery yesterday.
Bike died on the way home tonight.
It is clearly not charging. This is exactly what my broke ass needs.

What do I check first?

Mustang

stator and regulator/ rectifier
common Girly problem

start here

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10206

iansoady

Worth checking the big fuse down the side of the battery holder.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

TigerTrax

Sounds like a problem many have had.

While you are checking electrics... You need to check your ignition switch also. Those solder joints break and you lose power.

I would do the SASQUATCH stator regulator rewire also.... more charging volts to the battery. ( search SASQUATCH in TOPICS )

Finally... every time you buy a battery make certain the seller performs a voltage test  and aload test. Alot of these batteries are a POS ... even new
.... and the clerk behind the counter isn't the guy on the side of the road!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Fe Man

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Sounds like a problem many have had.

While you are checking electrics... You need to check your ignition switch also. Those solder joints break and you lose power.

I would do the SASQUATCH stator regulator rewire also.... more charging volts to the battery. ( search SASQUATCH in TOPICS )

Finally... every time you buy a battery make certain the seller performs a voltage test  and aload test. Alot of these batteries are a POS ... even new
.... and the clerk behind the counter isn't the guy on the side of the road!

Switch has been modded by me and is pretty bomb-proof.

Battery was new and hot, checked it myself but since there is a discharging issue, I have found that the old battery is good.

It's definitely. a charging issue

peds

Do you have any immobiliser fitted or after market stuff like heated grips etc??
I have found in the past that some 'gadgetry' that is direct fed from relays connected to the battery, the relays can stick in the closed position draining the battery and causing no end of needless fault finding....

Maybe not the case, but still food for thought.....

Also, it's not unheard of for 'shorts' to appear on permanent circuits like clocks, trip memory etc..... which go pretty much un-noticed!!

You could try connecting an ammeter in the battery positive line - DO NOT START THE BIKE WITH IT CONNECTED - unless using an ammeter shunt.

See if there is any unusually high currents being drawn with IGN off and IGN on.... best to remove the headlamp fuse for this or turn them off if you have that option.
"I\'d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel".

Fe Man

So the rectifier/regulator is one piece on the 06 Tiger?

Timbox2

Quote from: "Fe Man"So the rectifier/regulator is one piece on the 06 Tiger?

Yep, behind the L/H 955 Panel.
2016 Tiger Sport

Fe Man

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "Fe Man"So the rectifier/regulator is one piece on the 06 Tiger?

Yep, behind the L/H 955 Panel.

Thanks, that's what I thought but I read a post somewhere and a guy was talking like there was another part to the equation.