News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to lube your leathers?

Started by ArcticTiger, April 08, 2010, 01:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Dubbin, that takes me back to friday nights doing my rugby boots. I have a funny feeling that is true about it rotting clothing stiching, our older rugby balls were "catgut" and they lasted forever but the newer ones used to fall apart in the second season.

QuoteDubbin can also be used as a moisturiser and chain lubricant.

I just noticed that last comment, that'll save me carrying extra Scotoiler oil and L'Oreal for Men (because I'm worth it) in the panniers  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Birdy68

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"...but the shop that sold me the bike leathers said clothing has a different sort of stitching and the dubbin woould rot the thread.  

That's what people say - but this expert (well - he knows more about leather than I do - Just look here:http://leatherbyjohan.blogspot.com/) has this to say:
Quote from: "Johan Leathercraft"Answers to DUBBIN critics

It is sometimes said that DUBBIN rots stitching on leather articles. When applying DUBBIN you must simply make sure that you do not leave chunks of Dubbin in folds or seams of the leather - this will collect dust, trapped by the thick DUBBIN and the dust will then rot the stitching. I always polish a project that I have just applied DUBBIN to, with a soft brush - there seems to be some beeswax in DUBBIN that will cause the leather to have a natural shine when treated like this.
Source: http://www.johan-potgieter.com/dubbin.shtml

I'll be staying with my Dubbin!
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they\'re hot!

Bixxer Bob

Well, I did also say it was probably an old wive's tale.... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ArcticTiger

This spring it was time to give the leather outfit a new treatment with Renapur, to ensure a comfortable riding season. Last time I did it, the temperature wasnt very high, and the "stuff" needed much work to be aplied.
I was out riding one day early in the spring, it was a good sunny day, it was nice and warm inside the black leather suit. It made me think that maybe it will be easyer to apply the Renapur if the temperature is higher?
So well back home after riding,  I sat down in the sun and applied Renapur to the sun-hot leather. And the heat made it much easyer! The Renapur melted and got a consistecy  like water, and the leather sucked it up in no time!
This made the work much easyer, and less time consuming. The leather seemed to suck up more of the stuff, there was nothing  left on the surface to wipe off.
And the best: Now the leather seems to be almost watertight! :D
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

theclowncrusty

Hi, i have been using a product called "mr jojo" for the past few years on all my leather items. Very happy with it, soaks right in and stays waterproof. Last two pairs of boot s i have thrown away cause the soles wore through. You can get it on E-bay
Crusty