News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I bought another one!

Started by rf9rider, September 18, 2011, 02:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Bought some bits from Ebay last week, guy said he was thinking of selling his Steamer, had a chat on the phone, not too far away from me, so with the bike trailer hitched up, off i go to have a look.
It`s a `94, 30,000 miles with all MOT certs to prove the mileage, sprag clutch and crank sensor replaced last year, valves and full service done last month, new Venom cans, Scottoiler, brand new Hepco Becker crash bars and new Hagon shock thrown in for me to fit.
Bikes pretty much as standard, few little marks here and there but it`s pretty tidy, and a lot better condition than my current one.
So now i have 2 full bikes, plus another minus engine in bits!
Plan is to make one really good one out of the 3, then sell all the leftovers
 :lol:
Here`s a few pics, i`ll put some more up in the daylight.

D-Fuzz

Got any extra pannier racks? :D
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

rf9rider

Sorry mate, i sold those last year to someone on here.

BruKen

Can I ask you to measure the Hagon from eyelet to eyelet and the current spring length in site and let me know the length please.

rf9rider

Quote from: "BruKen"Can I ask you to measure the Hagon from eyelet to eyelet and the current spring length in site and let me know the length please.

I`ll do that in the morning for you.

rf9rider

Well Chaps, been out for a ride this afternoon.
Bike runs brilliantly, only problem is rear shock is well and truly had it, so fitting the Hagon is the first job on the list.
I fitted the baffles back into the Venoms as it way too loud, sounds pretty  nice now, especially the popping on the over run.
The battery is on its way out, so will be ordering a new one shortly.
The chain rub block is on its limit, that can wait until i get my 3 spokes sorted, just trying to source some new brake discs for those, so will take the rear end out and have a grease up on the swing arm etc, then swap the wheels and my front end off my other one.
This one has the original Triumph handlebars, much more comfortable than the Renthals on my other one, also has longer mirrors, i can finally see behind me without moving my elbows.
All in all, well happy with it, just got to swap a few bits from my other one and a few little odds and sods to do.

Colonel Nikolai

Love the blue! And the Venoms look awesome.

Does it have the engine access cover the older steamers had but the newer ones don't? If it does, congrats: This bike will last 100 years because you don't have to split the cases to replace the starter's sprag clutch.

Very tidy find nontheless!
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

rf9rider

Don`t know about the access panel, have to have a closer look when i start swapping the bits over.
Can you tell by vin number etc?

Mustang

it will be obvious if it has sprag access .............the cover is on the upper engine case directly behind the alternator

rf9rider

Yup, i have the access panel.
Started work on the new one tonight, removed the old shock.

Fitted the Hagon.

Lucky for me i did, when i went to undo the shock mount bolts, they were both loose!
A few other bolts here and there were loose, think the previous owner was a bit of a muppet!

Also found another problem, the front fairing/clock bracket has snapped where it bolts onto the headstock, luckily i have a spare, so thats another job for tomorrow.

Then its time to check the whole bike over for anything else thats loose or missing  :lol:

rf9rider

On with the next problem!
Common fault as you all know, the fuel tap leaks.
Thanks to the info from ROB, i bought this a while ago, still have the Pingel tap i bought but that will be used on something else i have planned.
Here`s the new tap alongside the old one and part number.

rf9rider

Next on the list is to swap the wheels and front end, just waiting for the wheels and fork legs from the powder coaters, also doing my spare fairing frames, so that to do as well.
So just putting it back together as is to try out the Hagon and see if any other problems arise  :lol:

rf9rider

Fuel tap replaced, no more leaks!

rf9rider

Then out today for a bit of a test run with the new Hagon fitted, much better than the standard shock, just got to try playing with the spring setting.

Colonel Nikolai

What's the impact of having a shorter tube on the new petcock? Oh, and CONGRATS on the sprag access (although I can't read the photo well enough to see the access cover :cry: )

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.