News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to me steamer

Started by 97steamer, September 19, 2011, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97steamer

Just picked up a very low mileage 1997 machine - less than 6K miles. Given that it has low mileage and may have stood for some time unused, should I be looking for anything in particular?

The short (25 mile) run back from the seller seemed to show no issues - nice engine note once over 2000 revs. Only concern is the rough mechanical noise on startup and idle. I assume thats normal but how do I check for the DAR and would it occur at such low miles?

BruKen

These motors sound bloody awful at low revs.  Russian agricultural implement springs to mind. She's easily forgiven though. I'd be surprised if you had DAR at 6k.

Mustang

Quote from: "BruKen"I'd be surprised if you had DAR at 6k.
I had it happen at 3500 miles on tigger 2 and it's happened 2 other times in 70k.
the 95 has never had it
and tigger 3 it has happened once since I've owned it , bought with 37k on it has 47k now

Rapier

Congratulations!
From one new owner to another, I just got mine Sunday. Maybe we can start a new club, newbies nonymous.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "BruKen"I'd be surprised if you had DAR at 6k.
I had it happen at 3500 miles on tigger 2 and it's happened 2 other times in 70k.
the 95 has never had it
and tigger 3 it has happened once since I've owned it , bought with 37k on it has 47k now

Well I'll be eating some humble pie then. You must have been furious.

97steamer

Is it easy to diagnose? If so, how?  :roll:

D-Fuzz

At idle, your bike should sound like a diesel tractor, that's normal.  I was told DAR sounds like a bunch of wrenches rattling in a cement mixer.  As far as the bike sitting, mine bike was very similar when I got it.  The biggest headache was with the carbs as they were gummed up pretty bad.  My bike didn't want to start very easily and did not idle very well.  Over 2000-2500rpm, the bike took off like a rocket.  Once I got them rebuilt, I realized the PO had changed the jetting and made the bike way too rich.  I think the bike wasn't running well due to its lack of use, and the PO started mucking around with the jetting trying to it to start & idle better.  Things have since been returned to what they should be and it is a much better bike now.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

nightrunner

My 98 had DAR when I bought it at 2900 miles.  Local Triumph service guy told me, while we were both listening to the bike idle mind you, that they are just noisy motors.  Learned the truth on one of the Tiger Yahoo groups.  A couple years later I'm at another local Triumph dealer chatting with the service manager, and he says he's never heard of DAR.  He adds that I should not believe what I read on the web, and [on carb jetting] that bikes run better lean and one should not re-jet.  

They do clatter a little bit at idle but if it sounds diesel, then pull the alt and check.  Its not that hard.  You just need the correct Torx socket.  Read the threads on DAR here.  Its all covered in great detail.  DAR will slowly get worse if not corrected.  It comes from splined shafts jiggling and they only get looser.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

97steamer

Many thanks for that info.

I have now had a chance to take the bike for an extended run on a variety of roads. I have the following observations and questions;

1. The brakes are shite - the front one is so soft the lever hits the grip. The rear is better but very soft. I suspect the original fluid and will replace with new.
2. Handles very weird at times - a 50mph smooth bend is fine, a 90 degree junction at around 10mph and it doesn't want to change direction at all. Tyres are original but well worn and it could just be pressures - haven't checked yet. The whole bike feels bouncy and not taught - will fiddle with suspension settings.
3. Handlebars seem low and narrow to me Are risers available easily in the UK?
4. Footrests high for me. Is there a lowering kit in the UK?
5. Engine - hmmm. I love the engine note when it gets above 3 to 4K. It has a nice whine/whistle. It pulls well at higher revs. The downside? It feels 'gravelly' through the bars if that makes any sense at all?
6. A bit snatchy at very small throttle openings - similar to an FI bike - carb setup?
7. Strong smell of petrol on cold startup which sounds like the carbs need some attention - is there a rebuild kit?
9. Forks dive more than an Australian swimmer even with the shite brakes - Hagon springs and heavier oil?

Despite all this its a nice bike  :roll:

Mustang

Quote from: "97steamer"1. The brakes are shite - the front one is so soft the lever hits the grip. The rear is better but very soft. I suspect the original fluid and will replace with new.
you answered your own question two fold
Quote2. Handles very weird at times - a 50mph smooth bend is fine, a 90 degree junction at around 10mph and it doesn't want to change direction at all. Tyres are original but well worn and it could just be pressures - haven't checked yet.
If they are T66 Michelins they are original and yea they were like that
QuoteThe whole bike feels bouncy and not taught - will fiddle with suspension settings.
welcome to steamer suspension
Quote3. Handlebars seem low and narrow to me Are risers available easily in the UK?
Moose Racing ATV bend bars work awesome , gets em up and out
Quote4. Footrests high for me. Is there a lowering kit in the UK?

http://www.knlcycle.com

Quote6. A bit snatchy at very small throttle openings - similar to an FI bike - carb setup?
yes , read the sticky thread for Mikunis

Quote7. Strong smell of petrol on cold startup which sounds like the carbs need some attention - is there a rebuild kit?

yes and no read the sticky threads
Quote9. Forks dive more than an Australian swimmer even with the shite brakes - Hagon springs and heavier oil?
yes  or go with some homemade preload spacers from pvc pipe about 25mm long and some 15 wt. oil

it's gonna dive under hard brake no matter what ..........it is a long legged dual sport
:wink:

QuoteDespite all this its a nice bike  :roll:
that's why we love em and it's called character  :ImaPoser

97steamer

Excellent. Many thanks. I can see I'm going to enjoy it here  :)

rf9rider

Are your bars original?
Sounds like you have Renthals on it?

97steamer

Original so far as I can tell - fairly steep downward pitch at each grip

Mustang

Quote from: "97steamer"Original so far as I can tell - fairly steep downward pitch at each grip
yep that sounds like the stockers

I've got these on one of my steamers............they work great . you will need to drill a couple of holes for the control locating pins or remove the plastic nubs from inside the switchgear and you will need some adapters for the bar ends

https://www.denniskirk.com/moose/7-8-in ... 595994.sku

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "97steamer"9. Forks dive more than an Australian swimmer even with the shite brakes - Hagon springs and heavier oil?
yes  or go with some homemade preload spacers from pvc pipe about 25mm long and some 15 wt. oil

it's gonna dive under hard brake no matter what ..........it is a long legged dual sport
:wink:

QuoteDespite all this its a nice bike  :roll:
that's why we love em and it's called character  :ImaPoser

The fork dive can be corrected with the correct spring load and cartridge emulators.  FYI. :wink:
From parts unknown.